Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 23:10   #31

Boat: cal cruising 46
Re: Electric Dinghy Outboard - Torqeedo 1003

What about securing the torqeedo from theft
Is there a way to chain the electric motor to the dinghy transom or something
To discourage theft. These would be highly desirable for " investors"
In the resale market
edwmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Humber Jewel

Go to www.outboardmotorlocks.ca in Canada or MotorLocUSA: Stainless Steel Outboard Motor Security in the U.S. These are stainless steel slot locks, made in England. For the 1003, you will want the 200 mm or 230 mm slot lock.

Thanks!
Humber Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:09   #33

Boat: Hunter 326
I too am an owner of a Torqueedo outboard. If I were using my sailboat as a live aboard, I'd go with a combustion engine, but for my weekend sailing use, Puget Sound tendering, and helping out with scuba divers, it works perfectly.

When out on my own (200 lbs) in my AB ultralight aluminum RIB, I can do 10 knots for only about 20 mins. 5 knots is more like 60 mins, and 2 knots is closer to 6 hours of range. Like others, when loaded down with 4 guys in the dingy, a headwind, and some waves, it does get quite anemic and the range plummets.

The battery is 48v, so that's why it only charges from a custom PV panel, or 110v adapter. And the recharging does take eons. About 10 hours for a full charge, from nearly empty

I find the greatest benefits are:
- super light weight, especially when broken down to 3, 10lbs pieces, making it perfect for single handing.
- easy to stow away below
- ninja quiet, making for silent motoring to and from anchorages at night.
- guaranteed to start with a turn of the throttle, no back breaking pull cords.
- reverse throttle too
- built in GPS based speed and range calculator is awesome
- no need to keep gasoline around, or mess around with any greasy/smelly petrochemicals.
- almost zero maintenance. As long as I keep the battery plugged in during periods of disuse, it'll be ready to go in the spring. No need to unclog fuel lines, rebuild carbs, or change the oil. Simple.

The negatives:
- low range at high speed
- very long recharge times
- anemic when loaded down
- very expensive, compared to other 4hp outboards.
- good luck fixing it if it breaks down.

Would I buy another? Probably.
MrSteve007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:31   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, MrSteve007.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 22:02   #35

Boat: Bavaria 47, 48ft
I'm a live aboard on a sailboat, currently located in Mexico.
I've used my Torqeedo 1003 daily on my dinghy for about a year now an I'm still very happy with it.
I keep a couple of spare parts (prop and fin) but haven't had to use any of them (yet).

I charge it over night straight from my 12V battery bank and my solar panels keeps the bank topped up. No converter is needed. It can take anything from 12V to 24V via a pretty common connector (I use the cable that came with a flashlight I keep onboard).

If you're looking for a 3.5hp equivalent outboard and don't like heavy lifting, noise or the smell of gas then I highly recommend it.
If you want to travel long distances really fast then it's not for you.
SV_Inspirare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 08:40   #36

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

I'm wondering what kind of performance a Torqeedo 1003 will give on a 10ft-12ft Inflatable RIB dinghy. Top speed? Performance into wind/current? I'm hoping for 5 knots when in calm conditions...is that reasonable? Anybody out there have a 1003 on that kind of dinghy?
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 13:51   #37

Boat: Bavaria 47, 48ft
We're getting 4.7kts of top speed in our 10ft soft dinghy so 5kts in a ridgid bottom dinghy sounds reasonable to me.
SV_Inspirare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 15:06   #38

Boat: Elan 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
Well, until consumers purchase them in significant numbers they probably don't have the economies of scale that the petrol outboard companies do that helps them keep their prices low. I'm about to purchase one and pay a premium for it simply so that I don't have to carry any petrol on board.
I agree Greg and the prices we pay here are far too high. I would also be going in this direction when the old outboard dies.
Hey good going Greg, hows the trip so far?
Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51   #39

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

I have been thinking about buying the Torqeedo 1003. I like the idea of ditching the gas can. However, I just can't seem to make the leap.

It seems the distribution agreement from the manufacturer has some sort of price stipulations in the contract. I have a hard time paying list price and always look for the deal (this is why I do not shop at West Marine). On Torqeedo, there is no deal. This is a real pet peeve for me and puts me off buying the product. If a distributor is willing to take a lower margin, they should be able to make that decision for their business.

For the motor, extra battery, solar charger and a few spare parts, this is a $4k investment. If someone is willing to save me 20% I'd be all over it. This would give me $800 I could put toward my cheap wine budget.

Com' on Torqeedo, let the market decide the price not some suit behind a desk in Germany!
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:10   #40

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I just can't justify paying $4,000.00 for what amounts to a 5 HP outboard with very limited range. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 19:01   #41

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built
Actually Chuck the expensive options he listed would give it nearly UNlimited range! I think Torqeedos solar panel is too big/bulky and way too expensive. If I add solar I'll buy my own flexible panel and find or make a good permanent mounting place for it
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:15   #42

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
Actually Chuck the expensive options he listed would give it nearly UNlimited range! I think Torqeedos solar panel is too big/bulky and way too expensive. If I add solar I'll buy my own flexible panel and find or make a good permanent mounting place for it
That's IF the sun is shining and If you don't use more power from the battery than the solor panel can put back in. Still too many IF's for 4K. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:54   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my torqueedo tells me when i need to recharge and most places have a nicely located outlet for recharging. no problem. it does beat rowing and it does call attention to self when heading past pangeros without making noise or rowing...lol....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31   #44

Boat: S-2 9.2cc
I have used electric motors(minn kota) for near 5 yrs now. Have a 8 h.p. Yamaha 4 stroke also. We go up and down rivers and will say that I can find absolutely no reason for a electric motor anymore. Re-charging daily(not really Eco-friendly) and bothersome when 2 gal of gas will last 3-4 weeks for same trips. Noise level is near the same and smell? of gas? Guess a tune-up is in someone's future as I have never smelled anything from outboard. And smeller works just fine,by the way. We really wanted to go electric as we leave for extended cruise, but not realistic in real dollar and cents world. Have rigged up a small double pulley system to lift and lower outboard from stern. That is only drawback we have found. The yamaha uses same amount of gas as the honda eu 2000, so gas usage is minimal. Solar re-charge is time consuming,not really realistic for minimum distance we can cover. Just our findings in nearly 5 yrs. of trial and error
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when my torqueedo t1003s ceased charging nicely, i still had 50 percent battery life remaining. i had used it for 2 weeks, charged it once.
it uses battery slowly. i liked it, and will prolly use it when i have the charging connection repaired.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard