Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 12:12   #31

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Two theories:

If traveling where dingy theft is an issue - put no name on it. Go out of your way to paint it or patch it to look older, but not stick out. Secure with the thickest cable you can and good lock

If traveling where dingy security is not an issue - have it stand out, put your boat name on it. If lost will be more easily found and returned. People will hopefully feel funny about hanging onto a dinghy that clearly belongs to another mother ship.

Of course most people travel where both issue may be true at various times.
Mate, unfortunately in these current economic times, even places that were the latter, are becoming the former ...
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 15:04   #32

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
I'm not in an area, where theft is a problem, but I would think that by making everything I own so ugly that no one would want it. I would ask myself if I would want it either.

New to owning a boat with a dingy. Never though about naming it until now. But I think it's obvious to me what to call her

Ship: Sublime
Dingly: Badfish
Bradley Nowell fans will understand R.I.P
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 19:25   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
We were told by the harbor police here in so cal that if you want to not register the tender to a yacht it must have T/T "documentation number of mother ship" to ne legal.
In nearly every state I know of it's a no go. A dinghy with a motor needs full registration. US Documentation does not in any way shape of form extend to a dinghy according to the USCG. It then falls to the state laws (or country) where the dinghy is LOCATED not where you claim to be from.

The dinghy is just another boat in the water. Without an engine on the dinghy I know of no place that requires anything so how you label the dinghy is not an issue. In some places there may be a state sticker required even if they don't require numbers. You still need the proper lights at night and a hand held light may pass. PFD's and the rest of the usual gear too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 20:05   #34

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
My boat is named Gumbo. I guess Rice would be a fitting name, they always go together.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote