Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2013, 12:38   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Cracked Davit :banghead:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Does the dink have a hull drain to the void between the inner and outer hull and is it full of water hence extra weight you may not be accounting for?

Pete
That's a hot tip. I don't think so -- I haul it up by hand on the starboard davit as the motor is out of commission at the moment, and would probably feel it if that were the case, but I will definitely check. I will look for a drain -- haven't noticed one.

Thanks, Pete.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 12:42   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytheSailor View Post
. . . Ditch the davits! If Dockhead has such a large boat then there must be space on deck, take the outboard off and stow it separately and possibly use the spinnaker pole and a 4-1 block and tackle and stow it on deck where it will be nice and safe.
The motor is remote steered -- so an hour with tools to take off, and even more to put back on including adjusting the cables. It's not practical to remove/replace for every launching.

I would love to ditch the davits, which are ugly etc. etc. But I would have to go to a soft dinghy, I think, or a Portabote, with a small engine. Not sure it's worth it, although I have not dismissed it. The other downside of this approach is that the dink would have to go on the afterdeck, which is the nicest deck space on board, where everyone likes to hang out.

This is just one of those things where every solution is a compromise and has serious drawbacks.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 19:52   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytheSailor View Post
.................. If Dockhead has such a large boat then there must be space on deck, ......................
Ah,- there's the solution for all of us! We all need bigger boats so we can have the transom open up like a garage door and ride the dinghy up the slick ramp and all gets locked away and sealed.
Old 23-11-2013, 20:45   #49

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Likely 300lbs + did not damage the davit. I assume it was the shock load. Repair the davit and add shock absorption straps.
Old 23-11-2013, 20:58   #50

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I appreciate y'all's concern, but there's not much I can do about that. The dink is a 12' RIB and cannot be accommodated anywhere else. The davits are rated for the load, and they are quite high above the water. They have survived about 15,000 miles or so in the English Channel and Bay of Biscay in up to Force 10 without incident, and other large cruisers in these waters carry their dinks the same way.

I might just ship a different and smaller dinghy when I venture off crossing oceans. On the other hand, I don't think I'm every likely to sail anywhere with conditions as tough as right here, so maybe not worth messing around with it. With part of the load taken to a halyard, should be quite a bit more robust than it is now.
Not sure that many on here from the US side of the pond actually appreciate the kind of weather and seas that can be experienced 'over there' I think you have already come to a reasonable solution that should safely take you another 15,000 miles or more.

WE were once caught in an unforecast secondary depression storm in the English Channel off the North Brittany coast of France with winds of 50kts over the deck whilst we were doing up to 10kts over the ground downwind so a true wind of up to 60kts. the seas were horrendous after two weeks of gale following after gale, we were in a 33ft centre cockpit Westerly 33 ketch on our way home from ourregular south Brittany (Biscay) cruise Our dinghy was safely tied down on the foredeck but we were in close company with another Westerly 33 that had his 12ft 'Tinker' inflatable dinghy hanging in davits on the transom. Their dinghy never once filled up in those seas although they told me afterwards they worried it might but the boat always lifted in time to avoid the following seas breaking over it.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 08:04   #51

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
How much I would love to have no davits on the transom which are, on top of everything else, ugly, ugly ugly.

I've looked hard at the Portabotes. So far I have not quite been able to let go of having the RIB.
I understand entirely. If it helps aid the transition, there are after-market lash-on gunwale flotation kits that make the Portabote significantly more stable. I'm not tiny, however, and I have never swamped my 10 foot Portabote...heeled it quite a bit, perhaps initially alarmingly so, but it's a lot better than a canoe in terms of lateral resistance!

The other upside is that you go to a 4 HP or smaller engine. My five-foot-tall wife can hand me a Honda 2 with one arm...it's a good problem to have, having wrestled various 9.9 and 15 HP outboards onto transoms in the past.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote