Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 12:09   #1

Where Do You Buy A New Mast?

Hey all! I just bought my first boat it's a 1975 Venture 23'. I've been working on it lately an finally got the engine in working order. I purchased the boat on a trailer with the mast up and it was stored at the marina.

Since the engine was working I tried to take it out for the first time today. I have no idea what happened but about 100 yards from the ramp the mast fell over and snapped in half.

1. Whats the best source to get a new mast?

2. What could have happened?

I'm sure it was something cause by my inexperience super embarrassed and already broke.

-Michael
campbmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:13   #2

Boat: Island Packet 27
Re: Where Do You Buy A New Mast?

Try Dwyermast.com. They have just about any metal you need. I snapped my boom in two...ouch.... And I ordered the metal from them.
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:18   #3

The old boom could have already been hit/stressed before and may have had a hairline fracture in it. The standing rigging could have been bad/old/loose. The hardware keeping the rigging up...pins/cotter pins could have been brittle. So many things. Get a new mast, have a rigger hook up/inspect all the rigging and you'll be fine. Even if you messed up I'm sure you didn't bring down the mast with whatever you did unless you did a barrel roll in the 'Ol boat
Old 11-03-2014, 12:22   #4

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbmic View Post
Hey all! I just bought my first boat it's a 1975 Venture 23'. I've been working on it lately an finally got the engine in working order. I purchased the boat on a trailer with the mast up and it was stored at the marina.

Since the engine was working I tried to take it out for the first time today. I have no idea what happened but about 100 yards from the ramp the mast fell over and snapped in half.

1. Whats the best source to get a new mast?

2. What could have happened?

I'm sure it was something cause by my inexperience super embarrassed and already broke.

-Michael
There should have been a wire running from the top of the mast to the bow and another wire running from the top of the mast to the transom. Those are the fore and aft stays. There should also be stays on each side of the mast to prevent it from bending/falling port or starboard. If those wires were not in place, the mast will fall. It is designed to be taken down (for trailering) by releasing the forestays and then tilting it aft.

I'm not exactly certain where you can purchase a replacement mast. There have been other posts on that topic and you may have luck doing a search on this forum for "replacement mast".
Flamingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:25   #5

If you still have the old mast, just order the metal and take all the hardware off the old mast and build a new one.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:30   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

About the new mast,

Sometimes riggers yards have broken masts around, and you might find something suitable that way. Boats come in to have broken masts removed, and perhaps one of their top sections might be made to do the job. Stick with the same size [wall thickness and diameter] as the original mast, and the base will have to fit your step.

Good luck on being able to get a new one inexpensively.

Another option is to "sister" the old mast above and below the break, but need a rigger's advice on how do to this. For example, our broken boom was sistered internally and externally a couple of years ago, works fine, slightly heavier, stronger than before.

Ann
Old 11-03-2014, 12:57   #7

Here are some pictures

Whats my best option? Repair or replace? I think the boom is alright

Also, I included a picture of right before we were taking the boat out. Does anything look amiss? Does the mast step have any lock or pin that should be in place?
Old 11-03-2014, 13:29   #8

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Ann's suggestion is a good one. Find a reputable rigger and if he doesn't have a used one lying around, ask him to keep his eyes open for one. These guys are always around marinas and yards and are a great source for used equipment and gear. Also check with yards in your area. Many times folks with 'go-fast' boats want the latest and fastest and their castoffs can be your gain at a reasonable cost and the yard is usually only too happy to get rid of it. Keep your old hardware, though, and your standing rigging for measurement and spares if nothing else. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 13:33   #9
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

wow awesome pictures.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 13:33   #10

Boat: Macgregor 21

I'm not an expert of any sort and the "before" picture doesn't show it very clearly, but it appears that the break happened right at the point where the spreader posts attached. It also looks like a very clean break - almost too clean - as if it had been cut there previously. I would have expected it to bend - but not break almost perfectly into two pieces like that - but I've never actually personally viewed a broken mast before either. That looks very strange to me.
Flamingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 13:43   #11

You can't afford a new mast for that boat, its probably worth more than you paid for the boat. Either have it sleeved and repaired or buy a used one that would fit. Many masts actually come in 2 pieces so its not a big deal to repair it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 14:02   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

If it were my boat I would just have an interior sleeve made and rivet it back together. Did any of the stays break? If so, then I'm going to bet that a stay failed and the mast followed when it was unsupported.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 14:04   #13

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Another note - I have always installed a compression tube on any through mast bolts especially at the spreaders to prevent bolt from crushing the extrusion. Some insert the tube through a slightly larger hole on one side with the tube cut flush to the surface of the mast - others make a device to slide the compression tube up from the bottom (see attached pic).
That bolt can crush the mast extrusion an cause cracks. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1394571833.236511.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	77404
Old 11-03-2014, 14:06   #14

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Compression tube should be aluminum - the sled extension can be made from PVC
Old 11-03-2014, 17:50   #15

Well it looks like the best route would be to add a sleeve to cover the break.

1. Is it possible to do that where the break occurred? It looks like it broke right at the "spreaders" I think they're called. How would you sleeve that? Does the sleeve go in the inside or outside?

2. Part of the mass is bent at about a 20 degree angle where it broke. How would I fix this?

3. Where would I source the sleeve from? I'm guessing it has to be the same exact shape as the mast but just slightly larger?

4. Does anyone know what other Mac masts would be interchangeable?

Thanks!

Tags
mast