Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 23:14   #16

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Turnbuckle Sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sail Redemption,

I know you didn't ask, so please forgive me for butting in. One time, we failed to replace only the baby stay. It was a different gauge wire from the rest of the rig. What happened was that that stay had oxygen-deprivation corrosion in its core, and it turned out when it broke during a gale, that the mast pumped excessively without it. Jim went aloft at sea to replace it, we were between the Societies and HI, headed back to w**k [the 4 letter word ending in "K". Now, possibly, we could have turned down then, but that wasn't what happened.

My advice is to replace the blank blank baby stay, with dyneema, also, and have done with it--don't take the risk we did. We did ours on this boat using all the old stuff, and just making the terminations with a thimble inside the eye-splice, so all you're talking is the length of the stay plus the overages for the splices--a small portion of the of the total re-rig. There are good instructions for the splices on line, too.

Ann
Hey Mrs Ann, I enjoy your posts so I'm glad you butted in! I was going to change it.... just later on before we actually went cruising Haha. I thought about doing it wire as well but I guess I'll just do it in the dux at the same time. You've convinced me, it is only two more splices (: Good advice, and story!

If I'm reading that right, you have dux on Insatiable II as well? You're saying just use a regular closed eye thimble for the baby stay instead of the Colligo fittings?

Ronnie

See more @ redemptiverepair.com
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote