Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 13:41   #1

Teak Repair

Need to repair rotting companion way wood on C&C 27 MK III 1975.

Live in Ontario, Canada

Can I find replacement pieces out there? Or do I need to buy lumbar and shape/mill to fit?

Where can I get wood cheap. Teak, Mahogany, other?
outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 21:15   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
If you want cheap wood, you can't get teak nor mahogany.

You can't repair rotted wood. You have to replace it with new wood and protect it so that it doesn't rot again.

Call a wood shop or search & buy on-line. See what they have and what fits you best with as little waste as possible. Of course you need to shape because they don't sell "C&C companion ways" at the wood shops. You must be experienced doing wood work or hire someone to do it for you.

cheers!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 21:21   #3

I don't think teak rots, usually. So I doubt the wood that's rotting is teak.

I think your first priority is to find out what's causing the damage. Most likely cause is a water leak. Address that so it does not happen again and then start looking for replacement wood, preferably matching the other wood you have on the boat.

On line, look for a C&C owner's group, where you might be able to get some good advice/information.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:18   #4

I've been using Jatoba wood as a cheaper substitute for teak inside on our own boat. Google it to learn the properties. Not a perfect teak subsitute, but nobody on the two boats I used it on notices the difference. Getting colour match can be an issue because Jatoba is so variable in colour and texture, so take the old piece when you go shopping.

Any major hardwood supplier who does not carry teak or Jatboa will know who does. East Coast Specialty Hardwoods in the Halifax area is a great source for eastern Canada, for example.

Teak is still the best wood for outdoors marine exposure, I think, and worth the money. I have woodworking tools, which helps when it comes to making replacement parts for these older boats. If you don't have them, speciality shops will mill a replacement for you, if you can take in the old pieces.
clearsea is offline   Reply With Quote