Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2016, 15:15   #16

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: ta-yang factory boats in the 80s

I can see for straight chainplates, but with the bend needed by the OP, isn't Duplex going to be hard to fabricate?

Matt
Old 30-10-2016, 15:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
Not really, I had bronze chainplates fail after 25 years - where they passed through a teak deck. No flexing, just the stress and mild corrosion caused by the chemical reactions.
Strange. Silicon bronze usually does not corrode at all, or slowly over a hundred years. A very non brittle compound so stress is almost a non issue. My grandfather's schooner's bronze chainplates are still good after 90+ years. Not sure what chemical reaction you are referring to.
Unlike SS, bronze does not need exposure to oxygen.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 15:45   #18

Boat: Tartan 37

My parents bought two new Tayanas (Ta-yang), this after owning a euro built boat. We all thought the stainless was pure junk, we could not believe how quick some pieces would rust up. It wasn't the same stuff, some pieces of hardware did better. Think they just melted US scrap stainless. The Euro boat the stainless would stay bright forever. I think you're lucky the rig stayed up. Bad design, junk material and questionable workmanship.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 16:14   #19

316 stainless was rarely used in Taiwan during the 1980s but the 304 produced locally was of a good specification and relabelled and sold widely in Europe during the period. I lived in Taiwan in the early 90s and also have had a Tayana for nearly 25 years.

I am on my 3rd set of chain plates. I get the same crevice corrosion where the plates pass through the decks irrespective of the steels origin and simply remove and polish the plates every five years and do a precautionary replacement at ten years.

The Taiwan builders did some appalling engineering before they started to get their acts together by the late 80s. Other people on the board have made some great comments on the engineering issues of your plates.

Personally I would be inclined to get some good advice and re engineer the design of your plates and have new plates fabricated.

Ross
yachtgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 16:44   #20

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Thanks for all the usefull info.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 09:48   #21

You have a beautiful vessel. Well worth upgrading.

I love my freestanding carbon mast.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 11:00   #22

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
You have a beautiful vessel. Well worth upgrading.

I love my freestanding carbon mast.
The interior is indeed beautiful. Im excited about what it will become once Im done. My wife hates me as she knows i wont be around much. She wont go in until i can assure her cockroaches are dead, lol. The more I dig the better the picture in regards to what was done well and what was not. And in general I think this is going to be a great boat. Its within my available time, capabilities and budget. They were built very solid. As many others have said on this forum.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote