Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 00:40   #1

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch
rigging for singlehanding

I am thinking of buying a 1982 Tartan 33. The boat is very clean and well maintained and has fairly new running and standing rigging. However, the only lines that are accessible from the cockpit are the mainsheet, jibsheets, and the traveller (which traverses the cockpit just forward of the helm). Since I plan to single handed in SF bay, being able to reef from the cockpit is important.

Can any one point me to resources that can guide me in assessing how much work/money would be required to refit the boat to re-arrange the lines? The main is equipped with a Dutchman slab furling system.

I note that there are differing opinions as to which lines are essential or optimal to lead aft. Some argue that cockpit access to the jib halyard is not required with roller reefing but others argue that the reefing can jam and that changing tension on the halyard is important. So the basics refit would be:
main halyard, vang control, 2 reefing lines, and slab furling contol line. Should all be led through rope clutches? How many winches are needed for this arrangement?

Thanks

Ron
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:24   #2

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: rigging for singlehanding

I have an Alberg 30 and have my main, jib and reefing lines led aft. My spin halyard is still at mast as I only work the spinaaker from the foredeck anyway. I only have one winch for the lines. Any more and I feel I may need another winch on the other side of the cabin.
I believe cost will vary depending if you have to replace all you line so they can reach the cockpit. I purchased alot of my turning blocks used from marine consignment shop and nautical fleamarkets. It cost me about 600.00 to lead all lines aft, this included main and jib halyard.

Good luck
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27   #3

Thanks, Cruiser. I am assuming that the lines, though new, are too short to reach the cockpit, but this is something that I need to investigate as it will greatly increase the cost.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:42   #4

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

I replaced my halyards with Sta-set and west marine price matched internet adds, then I used a 15% coupon, so I got real good deals on my halyards, Mine were marginal at best so replacing then was an easy decision
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:13   #5
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Running everything aft to the cockpit, if done well, is never a bad thing. However you must be sure of how you are going to use your sails. For example as mentioned you will likely not be hoisting and dousing a spinnaker solo from the cockpit. You will be doing it at the mast, so the appropriate lines should terminate and have cams there, such as the spinny halyard and possibly the topping lift for example.

Regardless of what you decide make sure you draw your proposed line layout on the deck to make sure:

1. the lines will arrive at winches fair and not at wonky angles
2. that you have cams and or cleats in appropriate places
3. Comparable lines stay together, ie don't run sheets to the same winches as halyards

Here is some hardware and prices to help you get on your way

http://www.apsltd.com/c-2-hardware.aspx

And more specifically

http://www.apsltd.com/c-1458-deckorganizerslinefeeders

http://www.apsltd.com/c-307-cam-cleats-accessories.aspx

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:45   #6

I single hand mine a lot of the time. keep it simple, have a good auto pilot, don't even think about flying a spinnaker, reef early, take things slow.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:52   #7

Many thanks to all who've posted. I don't have plans to fly a spinnaker. I just want to have the option to reef from the cockpit.

Since I'm in the process of negotiating the price, I want to have a reasonable estimate of the cost.

We're looking at 1-2 winches, deck hardware, rope clutches and new lines.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:08   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Buy it!!!! I bought Tartan 33 hull 33 in March and love her!!

There are a few Tartan 33s that have websites that provide great insight into upgrading the boat. I ran the main halyard aft immediately after buying her, and am pondering other changes more slowly. I almost ran out and put lazy jacks on. But I can get two sail straps on the main by going out over the companionway hatch and clipping on to the jackline.

Be sure too join the Tartan owners group, they have a ton of knowledge.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:19   #9

Boat: Peterson 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I single hand mine a lot of the time. keep it simple, have a good auto pilot, don't even think about flying a spinnaker, reef early, take things slow.
This is the best advice.

I sail the Peterson 46 single handed on occasion

I have bought a new spinnaker sock so I will give this another bash - so I may make the channel 7 news with a spectacular error...

I dont have lines back to the cockpit - all halyards at the mast- in fact there is another thread on this
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:17   #10

Boat: L 34

SimonV and Rusky have got it. A self steering will allow you to leave the cockpit ( if you're singlehanding) and do whatever is necessary wherever it may be necessary. Why do people seem to fear leaving the cockpit? Too much spagetti in the cockpit is far worse than working at the mast or on the foredeck. You will end up having to rush up for'ard to disentangle those lines anyway, so why not keep it simple and not have lines/stalocks/dualpurpose winches all over the place.?
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:52   #11

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

One boat I purchased had boom roller reefing which I really disliked, so I ended up converting it with all reefing lines going to the cockpit. I used clutches and a single winch.

My current boat needs to be reefed at the mast, but for coastal and island cruising, I'm okay with that. I find a reliable autopilot and roller furling headsail to be much more helpful for going solo than main reefing to the cockpit.

The other thing I'd address before leading reefing lines to the cockpit is anchoring. Running back and forth from the bow to the cockpit in a blow trying to get the anchor up is a real PITA.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 13:13   #12

Boat: Celestial 48

I had single-line main sail reefing from cockpit in my last boat (came that way). I found that this was not as good as it sounded, and actually ended up changing rigging so that I could reef at the mast. I found this more reliable and easier in the end. See if you can try this out on another boat before you decide this is really as good as your dreams about it.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 13:43   #13

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Ronk

Just buy the boat!

No matter what you do, you will have to go to the mast anyway. The only thing you do at the cockpit is lower and raise the sail, so it will be a back and forth race.
Do this before you spend any money on perceived convenience:
Go for a sail on a blustery day with a couple of buddies and order them not to intervene on sailing the boat unless you are in trouble and call for them.
Sail the boat yourself. Heave to, tie a reef, shake a reef. Then what you learn from the experience would help you make the decision.
This is a very nice boat, buy it, learn her ways, them then modify to your needs.

I have singlehanded on several ocean crossings and over 30K miles, no lines to the cockpit, only changed the lazy jacks and beefed up the reefing hardware.

Enjoy!
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 22:41   #14

Thank you all for the great advice!- reading your differing opinions was very helpful in reaching my own decision to make an offer on this boat. I will follow SVTatia's advice and learn her ways before making modifications. She's got a very clean and simple rig at the moment and I will try to respect that until we become better acquainted. I'll respond here with a follow-up!

Tags
rigging, singlehanding, Tartan 33