Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 08:59   #1

Boat: 45ft FP Casamance
PROFURL TOP SWIVEL SEIZED/BINDS

Hi there, I hope someone can help, I have ordered a new top swivel as the old one's bearings are shot (PROFURL). Can anyone maybe give me a step by step sequence of taking the old top swivel off and putting the new one on? I assume I have to slide the drum up , disconnect the forestay etc, slide the whole lot off etc etc
Thanks
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:18   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
'Temporary' repair

Had the same problem... their 'lifetime' bearings are apparently only good for the 'lifetime' of the bearings.

Can't help with the replacement, I can tell you that if you bring it down and work it back and forth you can get it to loosen back up. I did this about 3 years ago, and this 'temporary' repair is still working.

There is more slop in the bearing, but at the very least this might hold you over until the new one comes in.

Good luck.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 16:59   #3

Boat: 45ft FP Casamance
My swivel's bearings are so 'loose' that the outer housing changes its angle to the inner part and then it binds. It will no longer unfurl as the tension on the swivel causes it to pull at an angle (which is what flogged the bearings out in the first place). I've received the new part, I just need some pointers as to the sequence of dissassembly and assembly. I've removed the sail, the swivel is down on deck level, it turns freely as long as there is no 'sideways/diagonal' tension on the swivel. I am afraid its game over for this swivel, I am getting my cat ready for a Pacific crossing next year. Currently in Costa Rica (which is a real pain in the butt for the shipment of parts).
Cheers
F
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 15:30   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
I have just replaced my top swivel. you first remove the drum or raise it so you can then disconect your forestay . then slide the drum off and the old swivel. put new one on and reasemble. the job is very easy and should take about one hour . the most time is taken in loosening the rigging. You will need a second person to hold the foil /extrusion when putting the pin back in the toggle at the base of the fore stay. And the fore stay must very loose when doing this. Good luck.Mick
privileged is offline   Reply With Quote