Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 00:44   #1

Online Chandelier

Marsude is a 43 year old cedar yacht. We have been restoring/ rebuilding her for the last year plus ...

I would put pics in but have no idea how

We have stripped her of mast, engine, transom rot ... Bilge steel frames... Why put steel in a timber boat I still ask? Settees,floors, head,bunks,galley, pretty much everything. Now we are facing the bow and the its time to re rig ... And put it all back together.

Another photo would go here if I was sufficiently skilled

A few years ago we purchased some winches, jammers etc from an online store in the US for a previously owned and restored boat ( I lived on that boat for 6 years sailing round Australia's East Coast). The gear then was much cheaper than the same gear in Australia ...

Anyway it's time to get some gear for the next yacht Marsude ... We are at the planning the standing and running rigging stage ...

Any thoughts would be great ... Will need to get quite a bit all up.

Ciao Lesley and Dennis
Marsude1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: Online Chandelier

I don't advise putting 'chandeliers" on the boat: Quite sexy looking I suppose, but rather impractical don't you think? (tongue-in-cheek smiley!!) Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Lelsy and Dennis,

First, welcome to CF. You can usually get good advice here on a wide variety of subjects, but you can expedite that process a great deal by doing a couple of things:

First, it really helps if you fill out your profile with info about yourselves, things like where you are in teh world and what sort of boat you have and whether you are an old salt or a dewy-eyed beginner. This info gives your responders a better chance of giving advice that is relevant to your situation.

And second, try to make your questions specific rather than general. the former has a good chance of success while the latter tends to generate "thread drift" and useless speculation and pontificating.

From your post I'd guess that what you are looking for is specific sites that deal in second hand boat bits... or maybe just online vendors in general... I really am not sure!
More specific queries, like perhaps "we need a 50 foot aluminum mast and all the rigging for it. Where is a good source?" will get some good feedback.

In general, marine hardware is indeed less expensive in the States, but shipping costs and the specter of having to return items if a problem arises has kept us from ordering many things. Small, light and high value items will overcome the downsides, and we have had those shipped in. There are reshipping agents in the states (one is MyUS.com) who will collect multiple items, repack them economically and then re-ship, often at better rates than you can get yourself. We've used their services and found them excellent and money saving.

Well, enough rambling... again welcome and good luck with your restoration.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17   #4

Welcome to Cruisers Forum Marsude1970. Good to have you aboard. Good luck finding the hardware that you seek.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Marsude,

FWIW, you should be aware that rigging wire from SE Asia is of uncertain quality.
One way to be sure of the quality of the wire you acquire is to buy Die-Form (sp?); it is still made in Great Britain, and the quality control appears excellent.

Ann
Old 02-06-2013, 11:23   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you are looking for a chandler that has good prices and great service, Defender Marine is my favorite source. If you can convince them to give you a commercial acount, Svendsens in Alameda, CA and Fisheries Supply in Seattle are both excellent full service chandlers.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 17:12   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Welcome to CF!
I would love to quote you on what ever you need.
I often ship to Australia.
Brooks Jones at Sailing Services is a good source of rigging. He's a friend of mine and between the two of us, I'm sure we can supply what ever you need.

I can supply you with all the pumps, plumbing, electrical and hardware for your boat.

Brooks can sell you all those funny cables and pulleys that go on sail boats.

Here is the Sailing Service website: Sailing Services - Rigging, Lifelines, Winches, Furling Systems, Supplies, Ropes

My website is www.hopkins-carter.com
Old 02-06-2013, 17:22   #8

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot

Toplicht
heintje23 is offline   Reply With Quote