Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 20:22   #1

Boat: Cooper 60 Pilothouse Sloop
Need Advice - Hood StoWay Hydraulic Furling

Hi Everyone,
Just back from a 10 day cruise of Tioman Island (off Malaysia) and my Hood hydraulic stowaway furling stopped functioning properly.

Perhaps some one has an e manual on this, or advice on what needs to be done to overcome the problem.

The problem: While unfurling, it simply stopped. When I pressed the button again, it gave a half twist and then returned to the same position as if it has a hydraulic lock.
We used the manual handle to unfurl the sail completely, and this was no easy task because we would get two or three turns on the handle and then it became stiff again, and wanted to return to the original position. After a few moments the resistance reduced a little and we could turn the handle a few more turns. It took 30 mins to unfurl the sail
We manually unfurled the sail completely and confirmed it was not binding anywhere. Even on the last turn to unfurl the sail, we tried it hydraulically and the same half turn and return to original position occurred.

When fully unfurled, it furls as normal. So, we're suspecting a solenoid has failed..
Can anyone help me out here?

Also, I am a little confused in the Hood / Lewmar / Navtec relationship.
I have a Lewmar commander system, 5 Lewmar hydraulic winches, i Navtec hydraulic jib fuler, and an apparent (basis old paperwork) Hood Stowaway in mast furling.

All equipment is circa 1988.

Thanks!
windships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hood Yacht Systems
7712 Cheri Court, Tampa, Fla 33634
Tel: (813) 885-2182
Fax: (813) 888-7421
E-mail customer service: Hoodyachtsystems@Pompanette.com

Hood is now a division of Pompanette LLC.
http://www.pompanette.com/home

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:50   #3

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
I wonder what Slokum would have done to that gizmo with his tool kit( read hammer)
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 20:00   #4

All, Thanks for your replies. I'm gonna get that hammer out!
Old 30-07-2010, 22:04   #5

Releasing tension on in mast furler.

I need to remove my in mast roller furling motor. I have a Hood stowaway system.(hydaulic.)
My problem is that I do not know how to release the tension between in the stay between the motor and the mast head. Can any one help???
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2015, 21:24   #6

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Re: Releasing tension on in mast furler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windships View Post
I need to remove my in mast roller furling motor. I have a Hood stowaway system.(hydaulic.)
My problem is that I do not know how to release the tension between in the stay between the motor and the mast head. Can any one help???
Thanks.
I have a Hood hydraulic in mast furler that has just died. I pulled the hydraulic pump out yesterday. The DC motor is kaput needs rewinding. Mine is a Monarch pump from Gran Rapids USA. They are a common system also used in Thieman truck tailgate lifts. My pump motor is located in my engine room very easy to get at. You need the correct size plugs to screw into your lines so oil doesnt drip everywhere & give you a bleeding problem later. The hydraulic motors in my system conect to the mast by a chain drive with the motor outside the mast in a neat stainless cover. There is a stay running up the centre of the foil,inside the mast you can reach the turnbuckle to losen it by removing the cover plate. You will need some locktite freeeze & release to help if it's frozen & correct size spanners no room for adjustables and a set of vice grips to grab the upper swage as you undo the turnbuckle.
Mike
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 21:27   #7

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Re: Releasing tension on in mast furler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
I have a Hood hydraulic in mast furler that has just died. I pulled the hydraulic pump out yesterday. The DC motor is kaput needs rewinding. Mine is a Monarch pump from Gran Rapids USA. They are a common system also used in Thieman truck tailgate lifts. My pump motor is located in my engine room very easy to get at. You need the correct size plugs to screw into your lines so oil doesnt drip everywhere & give you a bleeding problem later. The hydraulic motors in my system conect to the mast by a chain drive with the motor outside the mast in a neat stainless cover. There is a stay running up the centre of the foil,inside the mast you can reach the turnbuckle to losen it by removing the cover plate. You will need some locktite freeeze & release to help if it's frozen & correct size spanners no room for adjustables and a set of vice grips to grab the upper swage as you undo the turnbuckle.
Mike
Lol just realized how old this thread was never mind hope you got it sorted.
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, hood