Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 17:20   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Lifeline Netting

I'm installing some lifeline netting that I bought from West Marine, which seems to be a little bit on the flimsy side... I pretty much got one side of the boat done but then went to trim a bit of it and it started unraveling...

Now I think I'm going to have to start over. What a pain in the ass. I have a perforated toerail so it should be easy but I'm just having a hard time getting it to look decent. Using a leech line to run through the netting. I think my problem was that I didn't use a hot knife to cut the line, so that's why it unraveled. I just wish it was a little bit thicker.

Does anyone have any solid advice? I am kind of just ranting, but if anyone has any close up photos of how they have it tied to their toerails and/or stanchions, that would be much appreciated.

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 17:28   #2

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Re: Lifeline Netting

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1410135990.056519.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	87892

Take your time, use the actual lifeline to weave through the netting and space appropriately between the stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 17:41   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I cannot use the actual lifeline to weave through since I can't take off the lifelines. But I had the leech line weaved around the top lifeline and through every diamond on the top. I'm just frustrated because I thought I would be able to cut it easily to trim, but I guess not.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 17:46   #4

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41

Yeah - you should always use a hot knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 18:08   #5

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Ddabs,

I used the same netting from West Marine. Yes, it is a bit flimsy but the trade of is that it is less of a visual distraction when trying to see through it. Also, the small diameter material will produce less windage.

I'd guess I spent 20 hours lacing Panope's perimeter (34 feet L.O.D.) so ya, it is a tedious job getting all the little diamonds and diagonal lines nice and strait. The top lacing is a continuous 1/8" dia. line wrapped through each diamond. The bottom lacing is also a continuous line but wrapped through every other diamond. I drilled holes about every 6 inches in the bulwark.

This picture was taken a couple days after I drove the boat through some trees (I was on a road). The two holes were torn into the netting by branches. I later made a very nice repair of the area by weaving a patch of same material over the damaged area.

I use an "instant on - instant off" blow torch to trim.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:26   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I used West Marine lifeline netting when our grandchildren were born. It lasted only one year in Southern California and was shot by time the kids were old enough to toddle around the deck. If I ever do it again I'll use black commercial fishing net.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:45   #7

Boat: 44 footer

I worked on a charter boat that used Tennis court netting.

It held up fine, and was much much cheaper than purchasing the marine oriented nets.

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:03   #8

Boat: 1994 Fountaine Pajot Tobago-35 "Lauren Marie"

We used netting from this outfit on our boat. It has been on since summer of 2007 and is no worse for wear. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than "marine" netting.

Sports Netting

MikeF.
mfeene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:14   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I actually like life line netting and will have it on my boat. I also like the idea of using darker netting.

While some sailors don't like the look of the netting, I have always considered it "salty" looking and indicative of a "cruiser" who is practical and not so much concerned with appearances. I suppose this indicates that I am more of a cruiser at heart than a racer, despite my experience being the opposite.

My Reasons for wanting netting on my boat?

1. If I had kids or animals aboard. Safety first for the little ones!

2. If singlehanding or doublehanding or if on offshore or long passages with short/few crew.

3. I have been thrown overboard while working on the foredeck, due to a boat broaching, and lifeline netting would have kept me aboard (to my surprise and despite my attempts to get a grip on the slippery deck, I went right under the single lifeline and overboard). Live and learn. One trip into the water and the moments watching the boat sail on without one leads to some very quick decisions to make sure THAT "never happens again."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:23   #10

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I used West Marine lifeline netting when our grandchildren were born. It lasted only one year in Southern California and was shot by time the kids were old enough to toddle around the deck. If I ever do it again I'll use black commercial fishing net.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ditto...just made a nice bow sprit safety net using very tuff black fish net. Fraying is a major issue when trimming. Didn't have a torch but captured all the ends with lashing. May ultimately buy a torch. The net will last years. Took me 2 days to do the job.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:52   #11

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeene01 View Post
We used netting from this outfit on our boat. It has been on since summer of 2007 and is no worse for wear. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than "marine" netting.

Sports Netting

MikeF.
Hi Mike,

Did you use their marine netting?

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:38   #12

Boat: 1994 Fountaine Pajot Tobago-35 "Lauren Marie"

No, we used the baseball/softball netting if I remember correctly. They did not have marine netting in 2007. I guess they realized the sales potential for marine netting.

MikeF.
mfeene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:20   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If the reason for the netting is to keep the sails and adults on board, making your own netting makes sense especially with an aluminum toe rail. Lace 1/8" or smaller line in a triangle pattern spacing the attachment points about a foot apart. Use clove hitches to attach to the top and middle life line. Won't be as obtrusive as the small opening commercial stuff and you can use black dacron line which is very UV resistant. This will work to keep most stuff on board, minimal windage and minimal amount of labor. If you want to keep smaller objects like children or pets safe, you can still do it but would have to have smaller spacing which would require more work to make the netting. In any case, the small spacing of the commercial netting isn't really necessary.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 13:02   #14

Sailrite has a video on lacing netting, it's worth watching.

Hannah
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 13:24   #15

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

We used fishing netting. It lasts for a long time. The arrangement must be as diamonds, not squares, ie x not +. This way you can use the poisson's ratio to stretch it to the right height. We ran a thicker line along the base of the net, and fixed it with plastic cable ties through the toerail holes. At the top, we threaded an equivalent line to the net in a spiral round and round the top lifeline, creating another half-diamond. You lash the top and bottom for a couple of feet, then pull horizontally to tension it, clamp and catch up, repeat.