Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2021, 13:56   #1

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28
Lewmar EVO winch studs

So I've upgraded my cockpit winches from #7's to Lewmar's new EVO #15 winches. One of the appealing features was the stated ability to install them single handed because of the studs (bolts with threads on both ends) that fit into the base. There are holes for traditional bolts also. Anyway, not only did the winches not come with the studs but there's no specification for them or information about a source. I did send an email into Lewmar corporate's support people today. However, I wondered if anyone here was able to find a source for the these studs. I assume with the actual specifications for threading you could buy something that would work. Must be a lot of people in this same situation ... not happy.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 18:00   #2

Boat: Dickerson Ketch
Re: Lewmar EVO winch studs

Ran into the same thing and bought them for the same reason.. But no studs. Emailed Lewmar. Did they respond to you?
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 10:49   #3

Yes, Lewmar responded saying they don't include studs for the same reason they don't include bolts ... they don't know how thick any given deck is going to be.
However, the core of my problem was that I didn't understand exactly what I was looking for and where to get it. I don't have the installation instructions in front of me but what I know is the studs needed to be 6 millimeter width and I'm pretty sure they can't screw in any deeper than 6 millimeters into the base of the winch. So I finally found a place to buy 6 millimeter studs that were threaded 5 millimeters on one end, with a unthreaded middle and then fully threaded on the other end. It's a 41mm stud, just over 1 1/2 inches which is what I needed for my deck. I found them at Belmetric.com a manufacturer of metric fasteners. They have endless sizes. Good luck to you.
Old 24-05-2021, 11:29   #4

Thanks for the response. Sounds like a lame answer by Lewmar. Would they provide the hardware if told the length? They certainly push the "quick " install as a sales item.. sad to know that they don't back it.
What you ended up with sounds close to what I need. Thanks again.
Old 24-05-2021, 11:32   #5

Any chance to post a picture of what you bought?
Old 24-05-2021, 11:46   #6

Can't post a picture since they're on the boat. You'll find images of various studs at the belmetric website.
Old 24-05-2021, 11:51   #7

I bought two #15 winches. So I assume bigger winches may utilize larger studs but the size needed was on the installation instructions on the graphic that was part of the packaging. No other written instruction sheets came with the winch. I just didn't understand what I was looking at, at first.
Old 24-05-2021, 12:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
I bought two #15 winches. So I assume bigger winches may utilize larger studs but the size needed was on the installation instructions on the graphic that was part of the packaging. No other written instruction sheets came with the winch. I just didn't understand what I was looking at, at first.
on the installation instructions on the graphic that was part of the packaging. Gees, I didn't even get that..LOL I picked up the #46.. I'll pick through the box liner to see if stuck in there. Thanks again.. happy sailing.
Old 24-05-2021, 12:59   #9

the info. was literally on the inside of the box the winch was in. A diagram of the winch with little labels. No separate paperwork.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:12   #10

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

As one poster said, its completely obvious why Lewmar didn’t supply the studs since they don’t know the thickness of your particular deck. Rather than get all angry and blame them, you could think outside the square a bit and see there’s another (cheaper) solution to buying ready-made studs with threads on both ends and just long enough for your particular application.

That solution is simple: buy some stainless bolts of the proper diameter and thread (you mention your winches have 6mm threaded holes in the base), and say 10mm longer than 6mm (how far the stud screws into the base) + your deck thidkness + thickness of the backing plates YOU will have to supply. Get a 6mm die and a die holder (really very cheap at any engineering supply store), cut off the bolt heads with a hacksaw and cut threads on the end of the bolts using the die. Get 6mm nuts, washers, etc. and you are in business.

You will only need a bench, a vise, a hacksaw, cutting oil and the die. If you can’t manage that, any machine shop will do it for you.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar, winch