Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2017, 13:13   #16

Re: Is walk foot necessary?

I used to own and use a Consew industrial machine (206) with a walking foot. And, I'm somewhat of a collector of old domestic sewing machines (non-walking foot).

I no longer own my industrial machine, but have used my machines from the 1950's and 60's to make sail covers, hatch covers, etc.. My answer would be that with one of the old, all metal machines, you'd be fine doing the projects you have described. In my opinion, it would be unwise to do a dodger with one.

As has already been mentioned, an old domestic machine is capable of doing a lot of sunbrella work, but it won't take as large a needle as a commercial, walking foot machine, which limits the weight of thread you'll be able to use. Still, you should be able to use V69 or V92 thread, which would be just fine for the projects you're talking about. I'm ignorant as to whether you'd be able to use one of the new "lifetime" threads on an old domestic machine.

The Pfaff 130 often comes up in these discussions as a capable old machine. I agree. A machine that almost always gets overlooked is any of the Kenmore 158 series machines from the 1960's and early 70's. Sears/Kenmore appeared to be very serious about selling good sewing machines. They are my personal favorite. Much easier to find (Craigslist) than a Pfaff, and usually much less money.

Finding, cleaning, oiling, and possibly adjusting an older machine requires a certain level of interest in the machine itself. It takes time to acquire the knowledge to make a good purchase, and do a proper job of putting the machine in running order. Sure, there are some that need nothing, but most are in need of a thorough cleaning and oiling, and maybe just a little trouble-shooting.

For someone who has not sewn, my advice would be to get the Sailrite machine, non-zig zag, no case, no extras. About $650.00. You'll be backed up by the truly excellent service from the folks at Sailrite. If your stitch looks a little goofy and you can't figure out why, call them and they figure it out. You will definitely not regret having a walking foot.

Yes, you an get a very similar machine (they all come from China, the Sailrite included) for a half or a third as much, but you are on your own. So it's sewing pretty well, but the stitches seem a little short and it's making a lot of noise. What do you do if there's no support and you're new to sewing machines? Arguments abound as to how much upgrading goes into a Sailrite machine vs. the less expensive alternatives. I fall in the camp that says they're significantly better, and the good service makes it a slam-dunk IMO.

Oh, and if you decide to sell a Sailrite, they sell almost instantly, and for most of what you paid.

And, just for fun, here's a link to a video I made, showing what my little Japanese machines from the 1950's can do with sunbrella. These sort of machines, marketed under 1000's of brand names work fine, but there's a little more of a learning curve to select and buy the right one.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 10:41   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Is walking foot necessary?

Singer 20U. Anyone used this machine for sunbrella projects such as biminis or sailcovers and would like to share their experience?

I'm considering buying one old one for house use and wondering if it would be up to the job. Singer 20U is an industrial zig zag and straight stich machine but does not have a walking foot, and normally uses a clutch motor under the table.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 10:51   #18

Is there any value to the add on walking foot kits?

We have a nice old Elna Star, there are add on kits available, but would appreciate user advice on what to look for.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 11:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Singer 20U. Anyone used this machine for sunbrella projects such as biminis or sailcovers and would like to share their experience?

I'm considering buying one old one for house use and wondering if it would be up to the job. Singer 20U is an industrial zig zag and straight stich machine but does not have a walking foot, and normally uses a clutch motor under the table.
The 20U seems to be available on Craigslist fairly often. Sturdy, with good power, but without a walking foot, I wouldn't want to do a bimini. Well, maybe one bimini, but basting tape would be a big help. Also, sewing in the windows without a walking foot will be more challenging.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 11:48   #20

Boat: Tartan 37

Started with an old Singer Fashionmate 237, the same they used in schools. They are all over the place and are all metal, made in Italy, you can't hurt it. I upgraded the motor and it goes thru anything under the foot. That setup only cost me about $65. That's all you need, I built a Bimini with it. I since have added a used walking foot Reliable Cuda, which is a Sailrite clone without their upgrades. That thing is amazing, but for smaller and lighter jobs the Singer is better.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote