Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2007, 18:03   #1

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Furling Headsail

I have a Hartley 32 that has a bowsprit added, and prior to taking out of the water for re-fit, the fore stay was attached to front of the bowsprit. It was rigged for hank on head sails, but I want to change to a furler.

I bought a second hand furling unit that came from a 34' boat, and I think it is all complete, but I have not had any experience with such things in the past (except for using them on other boats ).

My questions as follows:

1. Does the aluminium extrusion rotate around the forestay, or does the whole thing rotate on the drum - at deck level, and swivel at mast head?
2. Is there any advantage in retaining the original forstay, and mounting the furler on an alternative existing fitting on the bowsprit?
3. If I were to do 2 above, can I connect the top end of both forestays to the same point on the masthead?

Any thoughts/advice from those with greater knowledge will be appreciated.

Fair winds

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 18:33   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
There are two types of furlers. One that rotates around your orig'l forestay and one's that require a special forestay. If you have the brand name and modle that can be determained. They all rotate at the drum and at the masthead, with exception for the very small ones.

I have seen and extra headstays mounted forward of the furlers and I would say that they do need seperate mountings, top and bottom. They can not rub together.
.................................................. ......................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 21:59   #3

Furler

Furler is a Rotorstay - that is the only branding/marking on the drum.

At the deck end there is a fiiting that the forestay is attached to that appears to be seized in the extrusion the sail slides into. This fitting then bolts to the drum, and the mast head end has a threaded fitting that screws into the swivel and is then captured by a pin through the whole lot.

Looks to me like the whole extrusion rotates, and the fact that the fitting is seized at the drum end probably makes no difference except for checking for fatigue or fractures.

Regards

Steve
Old 31-01-2007, 23:00   #4

That's actually Rotostay

That are based out of Haslar Marina Gosport, UK. Accourding to their spec sheet it comes with a forestay so I assume you'll need one of theirs to do the install. You may have to contact them direct.

New systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotostay
It is excellent value for money. Our price includes not only the standard set of anodised aerofoil luff extrusions, halyard swivel and reefing drum assembly, but also a rig pack containing a new stainless steel fore stay with terminals; a set of stanchion blocks; a braided reefing line; and a halyard anti-wrap plate with rivets. And there is more! If you give us an exact measurement we will finish the system to length complete with the fore stay terminals fitted at no extra cost.

Hope this helps......................................._/)
Old 31-01-2007, 23:07   #5

Also here is a link to someone that has one apart.

rotostay bearing

And some discussions on the unites.

forum messages
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19   #6

Thank you

Thanks for all the info; I think I can get it all installed and working properly now.

Fair winds
Old 01-02-2007, 13:14   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Perfect eh?
Is alwaysy good to see a site work as it should.......
Viva Cruiserforum
JOHN

Tags
furling