Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2014, 18:31   #1

Boat: Custom 48' Aluminum Ketch
Dorade - interior storm cap needed?

The 48' Aluminum Ketch we bought came this way -- attached to the headliner was an exterior deck plate, threaded, plus the storm cover. We've just replaced our headliners, and wonder if we really need to be able to affix a storm cover cap inside as well as outside. We'd prefer just to insert the sleeve and a flange trim piece on the inside, but want to make sure we're cautious. We will be cruising to the South Pacific.

Thanks,

Susan
Old 26-10-2014, 20:53   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Dorade - interior storm cap needed?

Once you have the outside cover in place the inside cover is superfluous. The PO may have experienced weather where it was preferable to use the interior cover and not risk the trip topside to affix the exterior cover.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 02:49   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozem View Post
We will be cruising to the South Pacific.
If you're not already so equipped, I'd suggest you make/obtain an interior plate that is wire mesh.

Keeps out the rats, snakes, and cockroaches you might find in the S Pac.

Rats crawl along dock lines. Snakes swim and twine up the anchor cable. Cockroaches fly. A mesh screen in the dorade keeps out all.

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 08:40   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Replace the deck plate with a mushroom vent. It is screened and has a knob to screw it down, closed, for bad weather.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 09:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like dorades and not only consider them "salty" but also "yachty" and stylish (some are very smart or handsome and even colorful or bright). I like the bright chrome ones with painted interiors (red or blue), but the bronze ones with patina look great too.

I have also seen ineffective ones and very effective ones. In my view, bigger is better. More air flow is better.

I prefer larger traditional dorades with larger cowls for more air flow. As many dorades as possible and preferably one for each stateroom.

I also see the practicality of using them (open with air flow) in stormy weather, when the other ports are closed. A closed up boat can get oppressively hot in a very short time if there is no air circulation. I rode out a gale at sea with the hatches and ports closed and the boat felt like a very hot and humid oven. Even during the gale, with high winds and stinging rain and spray, it felt better to be outside where one could breathe. I wished that boat had traditional dorades, but it did not.

So, I would have traditional dorades on my boat, with screens for bugs, and a cap for inside for use only if there is green water coming through the dorade, something that should not happen if they are properly designed.

That is what I would do.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 17:56   #6

Those dorade screens block up to 50% of fresh air. I noticed this when the screen on one dorade fell off and I could feel quite a difference in air flow compared to the one with the screen still on. So I changed to removable screens that I put on when leaving the boat unattended for more than a day or two.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 18:15   #7

The dorade boxes on my boat are teak and it is conceivable that either a sheet, or a strong enough wave, could take the entire things off the deck. Maybe that is the thinking behind the interior plug.
Old 29-10-2014, 09:36   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my dorade boxes are teak and there is no way they will spontaneously self remove even in seas. they are well installed and bedded properly and securely to the coach house roof.
as sheet never go where the dorades and cowls are located, it is most inconceivable to visualize the scenario of a sheet spontaneously removing one or the other. this wilnot happen on a well constructed boat.
the nice large bronze cowls are able to be placed facing any direction necessary to keep out wetness. critters are another story. hence screening to prevent critters.
you might want to save the inner plates for just in case you sail in the kind of weather wherein these plates ar needed. the construction of th e dorade boxes precluded need for plates interiorly on boat. they are baffles to keep out water. (even in tropical storms, mine have not allowed in any water)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 11:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my dorade boxes are teak and there is no way they will spontaneously self remove even in seas. they are well installed and bedded properly and securely to the coach house roof.
as sheet never go where the dorades and cowls are located, it is most inconceivable to visualize the scenario of a sheet spontaneously removing one or the other. this wilnot happen on a well constructed boat.
the nice large bronze cowls are able to be placed facing any direction necessary to keep out wetness. critters are another story. hence screening to prevent critters.
you might want to save the inner plates for just in case you sail in the kind of weather wherein these plates ar needed. the construction of th e dorade boxes precluded need for plates interiorly on boat. they are baffles to keep out water. (even in tropical storms, mine have not allowed in any water)
No-one said anything about "spontaneous" removal. We are talking about removal by very significant forces that can be generated.

MY dorade boxes CAN be caught by stray sheets, that's why you often see Bristols with dorade guards - a metal frame bolted to the deck.

If located forward they are vulnerable to waves coming over the deck. Waves in storms have been known to rip closed forward hatches off, which only present a very small surface area to the water - that should give you an idea of the massive pressures that can be generated.

My question was directed to the OP - do you think either of these are scenarios that are concievable on your boat?
Old 31-10-2014, 20:07   #10

Boat: kuiper 32

Mine have steel sides welded to the cabin with a perspex lid to let light in they are brilliant at sea I unscrew the funnels and block the hole as have had solid water down them when I forgot and my bunk is directly below.No sheet will tear them off.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior