Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 06:45   #16

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Dodger advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Hate to break the news to you, but given the location of that mizzen, there's no way you're gonna get a "fold down dodger" with your mizzen mast sprouting through the middle of it... ;-)

If you don't want the sort of permanent structure a hard dodger entails, why not go with a simple windshield? You can add on some sort of convertible top and sides for when you might need the added protection of a full dodger...

That's the route I've taken on my boat, I think it's a great all-around solution on smaller boats. Most of the time you really don't need a dodger anyway, they're just in the way instead, and today's dodgers have long progressed way beyond the point where they can easily be "folded down", with people using them as mounting surfaces for solar panels and the like...

Have a look at some of the Scandanavian boats like the H-Rs and Najads, they'll give you some ideas re the rigid windshield/convertible dodger possibilities. I've always been surprised that setup hasn't gained wider popularity, it's the best of all worlds on smaller boats, IMHO...

That's the sort of thing I want
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 16:46   #17

This is the type of thing I was thinking off, but my side hatch complicates it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	109033  
Old 14-09-2015, 23:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
This is the type of thing I was thinking off, but my side hatch complicates it
Looking at your photos again...

Does the hatch opening end before the mainsheet block? I was thinking it went beyond it but now I'm wondering if only the hatch cover goes forward of it when the hatch is open.

Maybe you can do something like in that photo. You will have the problem however that it wont fold down so flush.
Old 15-09-2015, 00:01   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

All looks quite do-able to me. The aftermost arch on mine is about 6 inches aft of the frd end of the cockpit. Tucked up under it there is -just- sitting headroom for a 6 footer. The wings which tension the whole thing come back maybe 12 inches.
You would just have to have a divot in the aft arch to take it frd of the mizzen.
Can be dropped quite easily but that is very rarely done.
Excuse the mess and the weird orientation of the dorades..she is under overhaul, OK!
Just had new canvas fitted a few months back... 4th dodger in 29 years... cost $NZ1800... probably ripped off... I usually am....

Cold? Bass Strait? September? Next thing you will be saying that you wear gloves ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4690.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	109058   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190610.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	109059  

Name:	P1190609.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	109060   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3507.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	109061  

Old 15-09-2015, 00:03   #20

And also...you will need a garage for your hatch.
Old 15-09-2015, 01:22   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

this may not be a popular opinion, but if given the choice betweem a small mizzen sail and a good dodger... well, sloops do quite well in general, other than on American oriented fora!

Jim
Old 15-09-2015, 01:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Looking at your photos again...

Does the hatch opening end before the mainsheet block? I was thinking it went beyond it but now I'm wondering if only the hatch cover goes forward of it when the hatch is open.

Maybe you can do something like in that photo. You will have the problem however that it wont fold down so flush.
The hatch opening stops before the main sheet block, but the centre block is in the middle of the beam of the boat and the hatch off to the side. The hatch cover slides back further than the block. Your right I think I'll have to compromise and give up on the idea of a fold down.
Old 15-09-2015, 01:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
this may not be a popular opinion, but if given the choice betweem a small mizzen sail and a good dodger... well, sloops do quite well in general, other than on American oriented fora!

Jim
I've considered that. But I like the look of the ketch. I've not 'experienced' the benefit of the mizzen yet, but then the mast hasn't been overhauled properly yet. When it comes up on the slip in the next few weeks then I'll make sure it's working as it should be.

Banyanda, who's a member on CF cruised the world and continues to cruise around Australia after they removed their mizzen. I might ask them why they did that.

If I was to remove mine, I'd want some professional advice to make sure I don't change any thing that will be detrimental.
Old 15-09-2015, 01:46   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RC,

In your thinking, do not plan to stand up underneath it. If you make that compromise, which will also allow yo to see over it, you will be able to keep it low enough to not look horrid.

Just a couple of inches will make a difference in overall appearance, and, after all, one should only need to look over the top of the dodger rarely--if you bought decent "windows".

Ann
Old 15-09-2015, 01:46   #25

I don't think you need to give up on the fold down but you might need to create a raised base for it that is level or perhaps a bit higher than your hatch cover.

Funnily enough, as I was typing this in the cafe waiting for breakfast I noticed that the dodger on this yacht near me has a raised grp base for its dodger

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1442306602.241975.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	109064

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-09-2015, 02:13   #26

Quote:
I don't think you need to give up on the fold down but you might need to create a raised base for it that is level or perhaps a bit higher than your hatch cover.

Funnily enough, as I was typing this in the cafe waiting for breakfast I noticed that the dodger on this yacht near me has a raised grp base for its dodger

Attachment 109064

I have a raised 'cowl'....I thought all boats did.... still only gives sitting headroom
Old 15-09-2015, 03:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
RC,

In your thinking, do not plan to stand up underneath it. If you make that compromise, which will also allow yo to see over it, you will be able to keep it low enough to not look horrid.

Just a couple of inches will make a difference in overall appearance, and, after all, one should only need to look over the top of the dodger rarely--if you bought decent "windows".

Ann
Yes, I agree. The boom is at head height, so to stand up under it would be unrealistic. The other thing is it's going to finish at the mizzen so, no standing 'under' it.

I did question whether I could possibly add a Bimini later on which would be seperate and give that little extra sun and rain cover. I currently have a plastic tarp that came with the boat which I use on really hot sunny days. It clips on the pushpit, and main mast stays in six spots. Exceptionally noisy when it's windy though.
Old 15-09-2015, 03:24   #28

Quote:

Attachment 109064

Umm, that might be a solution to the deck slope. Depending on whether I'm going down that lines back to the cockpit trail or not.
Old 15-09-2015, 12:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Yes, I agree. The boom is at head height, so to stand up under it would be unrealistic. The other thing is it's going to finish at the mizzen so, no standing 'under' it.

I did question whether I could possibly add a Bimini later on which would be seperate and give that little extra sun and rain cover. I currently have a plastic tarp that came with the boat which I use on really hot sunny days. It clips on the pushpit, and main mast stays in six spots. Exceptionally noisy when it's windy though.
I used to have a bimini...couldn't see the mainsail...sold it...bought a hat ...and some of this stuff for use in port....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2928 (1).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	109112  
Old 27-09-2015, 03:49   #30

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Here's an offset companionway garage and dodger surround. Unfortunately Dodgers being rebuilt at the moment.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1443350936606.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	110048  

Tags
dodger, lease