Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2017, 22:05   #1

dimensions of the Monitor windvane wheel attachment?

Hi all:
I bought a new sailboat recently and I also bought a Monitor windvane (used). The Monitor came equipped with the tiller option, but i want to use it on my wheel. However, I do not want to pay 500$ for a round disk so I want to make my own. Can anyone give me the diameter of the steering wheel attachment that you use with the Monitor windvane? Thanks in advance.
edhuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 08:31   #2

Re: dimensions of the Monitor windvane wheel attachment?

An Aries wheel adapter has a 5.5 inch drum and the mounting base is about 8 inches. 3 U-BOLTs attache it to the spokes. Functionally there is little or no difference between the Monitor and Aries wheel adapter. Making it simple and quick to disconnect is what matters. Good luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:42   #3

Boat: Ericson 35-2

It's not just a round disk, but a mechanism to disengage the vane / adjust the relative wheel position.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 11:06   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Actually, varying the diameter is useful. If you cannot vary the diameter, there is no way to tune the system, and you will steer a worse course causing more wear and chafe to the sails, a less comfortable ride and also inefficient steering. If you are making your own, you should consider 2 or 3 diameters, or attach the lines to the rudder before the wheel linkage somehow. Also you really must be able to vary the relative offset as well, so that you can adjust weather helm for broad reach.

In light wind and closer to the wind you would be able to use a larger diameter, and downwind and stronger air, a smaller diameter.

On a tiller you can vary the angle of the tiller, or where the lines attach. I know many claim that one position works all the time. But you can't steer as far off the wind with the headsail poled out without occasional backwinding, you won't be able to steer downwind in 3 knots of wind, you won't steer as efficient of a course. It's like saying you can sail on a reach with the sails sheeted in all the way, sure it works and I see this a lot, but it isn't optimal.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 09:01   #5

edhuckle, let me know if you want sell your tiller attachment? If you are still planning on making a wheel adapter give me a direct email address and I will email you a bunch of photos of the Aries one. I just sold it but havent shipped it yet, so I can take photos of it together and in pieces. gjordan (one four one three two) at Yahoo.com. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, monitor, wheel, wind, windvane