Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 20:30   #16

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
Re: Davits or Deck

you could fabricate a sup[porting cradle which can fold out from your stern to put the dink on. support can also come from above from lazy jacks to mizzen or main. craning is via a crane or boom extension. when anchored, you can float the dink and roll out a light deck on your structure for a beaut after sun deck.

i have fitted such divats - these are a supporting cradle, rather than a beam to dangle from (davits). in our case i have laid 2 beams on deck and these extend out astern, from 0-8'. the dink sits on these, ratcheted down.

i think i am correct in saying the running outer stays to the mizzen head take most of the weight to somewhere near the yacht;s fulcrum.

we also dangle a light floating deck to the water as a swim platform.

we never combine dink and engine, which goes on the rail

this works for 12' ally 163kg 320lbs

long voyages we take the rib- on deck.
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 20:30   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

For us, davits are a necessity because we've got two full-length sea kayaks stowed on the foredeck.

Chaffing should not be an issue, even offshore. Once you've lifted the boat into the davits, you still need to lash it to the pushpit.

Weight is certainly a consideration, especially on a long passage. In those instances, we'll remove the outboard from the transom of the dink and secure it to the pushpit of the mothership with a proper outboard mount.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKov View Post
Ok - maybe not as experienced as most here - so I have a question on this. . .we're in the process of bringing our dream to fruition with an Atlantic 57 Cat and for our dink, research led us to a 12' livingston with a 10 horse outboard.
Let me say that I'm a pretty big guy at 6'6 and trying to fit into anything smaller would require a dink for each foot.
Given that, who has suggestions/recommendations because we had figured on davits - storing a rigid like the Livingston on deck is really out of the question - rigging it and mounting the motor continuously just doesn't make sense. . .We will be live aboards about 9 months a year
I'm open - so please let me know your thoughts. . .

Bill
A cat is perfect for davits-- definitely a plus. However, you may want to reconsider the Livingston. They are stable and well liked but with the tunnel in the middle they are uncomfortable and you have to put your feet in one of the narrow troughs on either side. Uncomfy as heck. Get a big RIB.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:24   #19

Boat: in the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
A cat is perfect for davits-- definitely a plus. However, you may want to reconsider the Livingston. They are stable and well liked but with the tunnel in the middle they are uncomfortable and you have to put your feet in one of the narrow troughs on either side. Uncomfy as heck. Get a big RIB.
Cheechako - Thanks so much for your great reply - problem with a RIB for us is that I'm a person of "Heroic Proportions" as described by a friend in the UK - [nicest way I've ever been called a Big SOB!!]

I'm tall and heavy at close to 300 lbs -

With wife aboard and some restock provisions, I like the idea of the freeboard and capacity of the Livingston. . . so I'm just not that sold on a RIB. . . . Figure 300lbs for me, under half that for the missus, outboard, gas tank, provisions, and I'm pushing freeboard and weight capacity on a RIB, right?

Particularly with chafing issues if/when beached and exposure issues to UV. . .

Of course, I may be being misled as well, so am open . . . I KNOW that on long passages I'll probably have to dismount the outboard either way, but want a minimum of that - too heavy even with winch help to keep playing with-

Just kind of lost in the decision process all of a sudden. . .
BillKov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 14:07   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Deck.

We had a RIB and davits, and one of the davits cracked and collapsed with just the RIB (no motor) on in a mere five feet of Lake Ontario sea.

It created a "teachable moment" and then some, getting the thing aboard and secured. I thought I'd fouled the prop at one point.

So we got a nesting dinghy and a Portabote and keep both lashed on the foredeck. No problems. We merely have to allow 15-20 minutes to get them ready. We launch via the boom, the topping lift and a block and tackle.

The steel pads that used to hold the davits now hold a base for a wind gen and a deck crane for supplies, the outboard, etc.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 17:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKov View Post
Cheechako - Thanks so much for your great reply - problem with a RIB for us is that I'm a person of "Heroic Proportions" as described by a friend in the UK - [nicest way I've ever been called a Big SOB!!]

I'm tall and heavy at close to 300 lbs -

With wife aboard and some restock provisions, I like the idea of the freeboard and capacity of the Livingston. . . so I'm just not that sold on a RIB. . . . Figure 300lbs for me, under half that for the missus, outboard, gas tank, provisions, and I'm pushing freeboard and weight capacity on a RIB, right?

Particularly with chafing issues if/when beached and exposure issues to UV. . .

Of course, I may be being misled as well, so am open . . . I KNOW that on long passages I'll probably have to dismount the outboard either way, but want a minimum of that - too heavy even with winch help to keep playing with-

Just kind of lost in the decision process all of a sudden. . .
I think you will find a 12ft RIB at least as stable, more user friendly. You can stand on the side tube on a RIB. In theory you might on a Livingston, but it's a dicey thing... The Livingston is going to trash the side of the mother ship also. Of course a good 12 ft, UV resistant RIB is going to be expensive... but when you are cruising... this dingy is your Car! Actually, you might find a good used 12 footer as a bargain as it's too big for most people...My 10ft RIB with a 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke got on a plane pretty well with 4 adults.... No easy answers, whatever you decide you'll work it out.... A 12ft RIB has close to a 6ft beam and a 1350# Load rating.... (you are consider a 12ft Livingston.. right? or am I mixed up?)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits