Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 14:54   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Cruising Spinnaker

Hello,

I will be ordering a cruising spinnaker kit soon from sailrite for a hunter 40. I know that some kites come with leech and luff lines, some regular line and others spectra. Looking over the Sailrite kit, it just has tape.

- Are the lines nessesairy? and will I want them?

Second question.........

Fabric weight, .75 or 1.5? Lots of oppinions out there.....what is yours?

- Boat is in Saint Petersburg but will mostly be using the sail on the gulf. I want to use it in light air yet I don't want to worry about blowing it out on a reech or closer to the wind. As for wind speed, I'm not sure that I will be comfortable flying it in 20kts and probably even 15 due to my experience. Besides, at that speed the other sails on the boat should be providing a good enough push.

My former name was "Bus Driver". It's something that I chose quicky to get registered the first time to ask a few questions. I didn't realize how much I was going to like this site so now I have changed the name to something that has meaning to me. Not sure what the policy is for that on the forum but I'm sure I'll find out.

Thanks.....

ACADIA
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 16:21   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia View Post
Hello,

My former name was "Bus Driver". It's something that I chose quicky to get registered the first time to ask a few questions. I didn't realize how much I was going to like this site so now I have changed the name to something that has meaning to me. Not sure what the policy is for that on the forum but I'm sure I'll find out.

Thanks.....

ACADIA
Glad you like the site - I merged your old ID into this one. Bus Driver has left the station...
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 18:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Thank you
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 18:13   #4

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Tapes are all I have ever seen on spinnakers. For your use, (< 15 knots) I'd go with the 3/4 oz. It will set better in light airs and if you are a typical fractional rigged hunter, the sail isn't that big. On windy days, don't reach hard with it because you will stretch it. Just sail downwind or take it down. As you say, at 15 knots you will probably have plenty of drive with the white sails.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker