Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 03:36   #1

Boat: Top Hat 25, modified junk rig
Critique My Mast Climb

Hi,
Mast is 10 metre high, 250mm(approx) round aluminium section mast, on a junkette rig 25ft yacht. Free standing. Halyards are external.
Today, i attached the halyard block tackle on my harness, also using a "Prusik" knot on the pull line to my harness. Also with a "Klemheist" knot around the mast as a safety backup. This was satisfactory, but could be improved....

So im asking if another improved system that i thought of afterwards would have any problems....Hoist a block tackle to the top of the mast with the halyard, then cleating off the halyard & simply pulling myself up using a "Prusik" knot on the block tackle?, (again also with a safety klemheist around mast).
Anyone see any problems?

Im very comfortable with "Prusik" knots being a rockclimber & arborist in previous lives, but havent used block-tackle's very much.
Thanks for any replies.
Tophat.

Im thinking of using 16mm static abseiling rope in the block tackle.
'Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live their lives in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat' Theodore Roosevelt
TopHat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast