Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 18:39   #1

Barient/Honeywell electric winch

I have a Brewer 12.8 sloop/cutter. It has Barient 36 or 38 2speed self tailing electric winches. The starboard one stopped working (on both speeds). Anyone out there give any guidance??? (help please)
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 18:54   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Barient/Honeywell electric winch

Typically, knowing what winch it is helps. Especially since there are lots of Barient 36 variants out there. 2-speed, & 3-speed, let alone powered.

There are some manuals for Barients on L-36.com, & the C&C owners website CnCphotoalbum.com as well as online in general.

When were yours last serviced, & what were this one's symptoms before it "died"? Also, what have you tried diagnostically?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:26   #3

Thank You Mr uncivilized. It just stopped working. Checked the wiring and there is 12 volts present at the 3 solenoids on bottom of motor. I have the data sheets to overhaul the winch itself. I suspect that the problem may be in the Honeywell 12 volt motor as it is vintage 1984--plus both speeds quit at the same time. I'm wondering if a auto starter repair shop could fix it as its dealing with similar things like brushes, solenoids, armatures etc. Have you ever heard of these units ? they do work nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1330.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	133000  
Old 06-05-2018, 17:51   #4

Boat: 1983 Hinckley Sou'wester 59 masthead sloop

A Barient 36 is a huge winch for a 13 meter boat. I use those on my Hinckley Sw59. I also am looking for a new Honeywell 12V 3/4HP 3400 rpm motor for my two speed drive. Did you ever locate one or an equivalent replacement? Hutton-Arco in Australia look like a good parts source for Barient winches. I am waiting for their answer on this motor.
DFletcher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 18:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFletcher2 View Post
A Barient 36 is a huge winch for a 13 meter boat. I use those on my Hinckley Sw59. I also am looking for a new Honeywell 12V 3/4HP 3400 rpm motor for my two speed drive. Did you ever locate one or an equivalent replacement? Hutton-Arco in Australia look like a good parts source for Barient winches. I am waiting for their answer on this motor.
I managed to just replace the solenoids which fixed it fine. I put the new solenoids on a separate plywood panel instead of remounting them on the bottom of the winch assembly. Yes it is a very powerful winch!
Old 06-05-2018, 18:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFletcher2 View Post
You should contact a 12 volt Honeywell motor dealer in the United States--these motors were used in many applications.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:04   #7

Not made by Honeywell in many years. Hutton-Arco in Australia has a replacement motor with adapter for the Barient 36. $1500. I have searched Honeywell, Pacific Scientific and Kollmorgen following the manufacturer's path. Nothing available. As I have a burned up armature that needs to be rewound, I am pursuing a rebuild. If that does not work out I will buy the Hutton-Arco replacement.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:38   #8

You can probably locate a rebuilder by contacting antique tractor or car clubs, since they often have to have electrics rebuilt due to lack of availability. Good Luck. ___Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 06:57   #9

To help others following this thread. I am using Eutron Electric Co., 9920 Painter Ave., Whittier, CA, to rebuild my Barient 36 Honeywell electric winch motor model BA3620-308-56C. Hutton-Arco in Australia does sell a new replacement for $1500. Yes, corrosion in the solenoids, buildup of carbon dust in the motor and stuck brushes are other common issues. A sharp wack with a steel hammer to the motor housing (not solenoids) was recommended to me to fix these sometimes and it has worked in the past for me. Doesn't work with a burned winding, obviously. My winches are 35 years old and we have sailed 40,000 nm in the past four years so I cannot complain about durability. These are great winches worth rebuilding. Hutton-Arco also has many spare parts for these old Barients. I hope this saves some time for others.
Old 13-03-2022, 19:54   #10

I’m having the same problem as u had described and want to find out from where you managed to get the replacement solenoids. Did u replaced all 3 as there is 2 of the same type and one solenoid that seem to be negative return
rextan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barient, electric, winch