Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 20:46   #1

Boat: Phantom 32 fin keel and skeg sloop
Anchor / Sheet Winch

I am refurbishing a South Coast 36, cutter rigged sloop, 12 metres.

I have been quoted $3K to put an electric motor on one of my cockpit sheet winches. Alternatively $1600 for a hydraulic motor, but unfortunately my mainsail furling hydraulic pump does not have a spare valve and the cost of a new manifold, plus valve plus fitting and hoses puts this option out.

I think that $3k for an electric motor - no winch or install - is outrageous. You can get a vertical capstan intended for anchors and line hauling, 600watt, 36 metres a minute, both winch, motor and deck switch, but no self tailer, for $800!

I'm thinking of mounting that at the rear of the cockpit, where there is a fair lead from both sheet winches, the headsail furler and the various uphauls, outhauls and halliards. All lines have clutches.

I can't see why this wouldn't work. It may not have as much pulling power (400Kg) as a motorised sheet winch, but I'm happy to crank up the last few feet myself.

Any comments, in particular why the huge price difference between very similar devices?
bodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:11   #2

Re: Anchor/Sheet Winch

Would you be able to take the electric motor or the whole winch off and take it to a shop? The carbon brushes are first to go, bushings or bearings are next (these are all commonly availble parts).. if your system is 12V d.c. a good starter, alternator automotive or industrial rebuild shop could do it for a fraction of what your quoting..
Good luck
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:25   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
You can get a vertical capstan intended for anchors and line hauling, 600watt, 36 metres a minute, both winch, motor and deck switch, but no self tailer, for $800!
There you go

Quote:
Any comments, in particular why the huge price difference between very similar devices?
Labour for install for 1
Better quality product used for 2
Old 06-11-2011, 06:40   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgy View Post

I have been quoted $3K to put an electric motor on one of my cockpit sheet winches. Alternatively $1600 for a hydraulic motor, but unfortunately my mainsail furling hydraulic pump does not have a spare valve and the cost of a new manifold, plus valve plus fitting and hoses puts this option out.

I think that $3k for an electric motor - no winch or install - is outrageous. You can get a vertical capstan intended for anchors and line hauling, 600watt, 36 metres a minute, both winch, motor and deck switch, but no self tailer, for $800!

I'm thinking of mounting that at the rear of the cockpit, where there is a fair lead from both sheet winches, the headsail furler and the various uphauls, outhauls and halliards. All lines have clutches.

I can't see why this wouldn't work. It may not have as much pulling power (400Kg) as a motorised sheet winch, but I'm happy to crank up the last few feet myself.

Given the size of your boat you might find that some version of the "Winch Buddy" (see prior discussion at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ite-36874.html and/or Search--above--"Winch Buddy") more useful and versatile. We've been using a version of the Winch Buddy on our boat since 2005 to hoist the main, trim sheets and furl the headsail and it has proven a very worth while and inexpensive altenative to an electric drive winch.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 18:29   #5

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgy

I would look again at the hydraulics. Should be easy enough to T off from your manifold or before it and use 6 port 2 way valves to gain the extra function without new manifold. Much cheaper if you buy your own hyd motor. Talk to local hydraulics firm who do fishing boats.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 21:00   #6

Thanks all for your input. I will probably pursue the hydraulics option and if it doesn't work out take a closer look at the electric capstan.

I'm pretty sure the Winchrite would go overboard real quick

Jon
Old 09-11-2011, 19:49   #7

Re: Anchor / Sheet Winch

For what its worth I'm finally going for the Muir in line capstan. I managed to source a compatible 12 motor and gearbox for a fraction of the winch manufacturers RRP, but I would have had to have the drive shaft machined and would have needed another winch, as without adding a clutch an existing winch would not hand crank.

I also found a hydraulic motor for a few hundred dollars and for a bit more could have added the extra valves to my existing pump, however would still have needed a linkage mechanism. Could have powered an existing winch as with hydraulics, hand cranking would continue to function. Also found a hydraulic pump and reservoir for a few hundred dollars too. Eventually discounted this path as I couldn't really run the hoses without creating an eyesore, or some major cabin mods.

So for less than $1K I'll get a 39 metres a minute, 600 watt, capstan, max pull 160Kg complete with switch, mounting hardware and circuit breaker. OK its not self tailing and I'll have to crank up the last few feet of genoa by hand, but that's $3k cheaper than an electric winch!!

Knowing what I do now, if I ever fit out a yacht again, it'll be hydraulic winches all round.

I hope the above is useful for anyone contemplating a power winch solution and unwilling to pay an outrageous price

I'll report back on the efficacy once installed and running
Old 11-11-2011, 06:38   #8

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

Why bother at all? I've got a similar sized boat and have never found sheeting or hoisting a jib to be overly difficult. BTW, "the last few feet" is the only hard part so whats the advantage? It seems like an unnecessary complication unless there are compelling reasons. Motors, heavy wire, fuses and switches are all subject to corrosion/failure and cost $$$'s. I admit my strong preference for the KISS principle.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 14:28   #9

You have a point, but I'm often single handed and if running the inner foresail I need to take in and let out the furling genoa, plus manage the sheets at the same time as I'm trying to steer thru a tack or gybe

At sea its not an issue, but getting in and out of crowded harbours is a bit of a challenge as is putting in a reef

Sure I could get by without it, hence I refuse to pay $4K for each electric winch.
Old 11-11-2011, 14:58   #10

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

We all have our own preferences, that's for sure, but I wonder if a auto pilot might not be more useful. For about the same price you could get a wheelpilot that would free up a set of hands. I have an inner staysail stay as well and it is a pain when the genny hangs up on it. I'm planning to convert the staysail to roller furling in the hope that the 135% slides off of it easier.
I have friends that moved to Sydney 20+ years ago from Canada. They love it and it sure looks beautiful. Lucky you! Best of luck with your project.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 04:00   #11

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit

Hi Bodgy.

How did you go with the Muir 500 capstain as a electric winch.

I have bought a second hand Muir 400 capstan and am tempted to try doing the same thing.

My main benefit is hopefully to help me when I am tired and a bit overloaded on overnight solo passages.

Regards George
yachtmanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 04:35   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Get a hydraulic diverter valve....

Tags
anchor, winch, sheets