Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2013, 05:46   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,538
12-strand to double braid splice

First off apologies for a sort of double post, this was asked in another thread but suspect it got lost in there.

The plan is..
Splice in a length of hi tech 12 strand* onto the double braid jib sheets so that the splice end just before the winch with full sail hard on the wind.

Logic goes...
-Get rid of the bowline knots onto the clew which always get stuck on the inner forestay when tacking, attach the 12 strand with a soft shackle.
-less weight hanging off the clew which should help in light airs
-the 12 strand is free & playing with splices is fun

All I could fine on the splice is this..
12-strand to double braid splice - SparTalk

So anyone spliced 12 strand to double braid - locked brummel splice work OK? Or any links/suggestions ?

Also, any thoughts?

TIA




(* The 12 strand is actually tech 12 8mm (3/8), says medium UV resilience but so overspeced something else will break first. I get the odd 100' free from friends who use it for high speed winch work on film sets.)
__________________

__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 06:05   #2
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
First off apologies for a sort of double post, this was asked in another thread but suspect it got lost in there.

The plan is..
Splice in a length of hi tech 12 strand* onto the double braid jib sheets so that the splice end just before the winch with full sail hard on the wind.

Logic goes...
-Get rid of the bowline knots onto the clew which always get stuck on the inner forestay when tacking, attach the 12 strand with a soft shackle.
-less weight hanging off the clew which should help in light airs
-the 12 strand is free & playing with splices is fun

All I could fine on the splice is this..
12-strand to double braid splice - SparTalk

So anyone spliced 12 strand to double braid - locked brummel splice work OK? Or any links/suggestions ?

Also, any thoughts?

TIA

(* The 12 strand is actually tech 12 8mm (3/8), says medium UV resilience but so overspeced something else will break first. I get the odd 100' free from friends who use it for high speed winch work on film sets.)
The way this is done is by going all hi tech 12-strand single braid and then adding a polyester cover for the parts that are handled. You can buy the cover which comes with a messenger line through it to make things simple.

__________________

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 06:14   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,538
Re: 12-strand to double braid splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The way this is done is by going all hi tech 12-strand single braid and then adding a polyester cover for the parts that are handled. You can buy the cover which comes with a messenger line through it to make things simple.
Certainly a very good way to go about it, but with one major flaw - it involves spending money

The tech 12 & doublebraid are onboard already.

Nice pics though, ta.
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 07:57   #4
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: 12-strand to double braid splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Certainly a very good way to go about it, but with one major flaw - it involves spending money

The tech 12 & doublebraid are onboard already.

Nice pics though, ta.
Sorry, I assumed a couple of dollars for a piece of braid was fine.

In your case, you can simply remove the outer braid from the double-braid you already have. Milk it off the core onto a temporary messenger line and then onto the hi tech single braid.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 08:05   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,538
Re: 12-strand to double braid splice

quick play around..

Burying the core of the double braid inside the 12 strand didn't work, even with a couple of tucks it just pulled out.


Multiple tucks of the double braid core through the 12 strand seems to work though. Cranked up across the cockpit between a couple of winches with me jumping on the middle.
I'll leave it tensioned overnight see what happens.
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.