Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 22:06   #1
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht
Toilet replacement

After a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that there is no valid reason to not look at replacing a marine toilet with a residential toilet.

The water requirement is as low as 1.2 gallons on a residential toilet. Far less than years ago. There are one piece toilets now with power flush so clogging would be reduced immensely if not completely.

I am sure there is probably some ridiculous blue law on the books stopping the use of residential toilets on a boat.

Input please ?

Thanks
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 22:10   #2

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40
Re: Toilet replacement

Residential toilets are made for things to flow downhill. Things don't always flow downhill on a boat - it may take more water to flush. Just sayin`
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 22:42   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think it's possible but there are some things that need to be addressed.

First you have a big tank of water with a loose fitting lid on a boat that tilts from side to side- messy.

You will need to plan the discharge to flow down hill as Smokey pointed out.

You'll need to plan on running much bigger discharge line to the holding tank.
Old 28-03-2017, 22:50   #4

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

can be done on a vessel where the entire install is always above the waterline. Unusual in a yacht.
Huge outlet!! to go overboard or to a holding tank, significantly below the toilet....
Old 28-03-2017, 23:37   #5

As others have said, you need gravity runs thru drastically larger piping all while dealing with a rolling boat. Will the P-trap stay full if you rock drastically.

For modest sized boats, 1.2gal per flush is 4-5 times what a marine toilet uses. Particularly if you only urinate. Assuming 5 uses per day for a couple, that's 11gal, so a 40gal tank would have to be emptied every 3 days.

With a more typical 1/4 gal for a marine unit, that's more like 2-3 gal per day, so you get over a week between pump outs in the same situation

On a mega yacht where the holding tank can be on the order of hundreds of gallons, not much of an issue (particularly if the crew take care of emptying it).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 23:42   #6
cruiser

Go ahead and install one; I think you'll discover why it won't work the first time you try to flush it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 23:49   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
There are one piece toilets now with power flush so clogging would be reduced immensely if not completely.

Input please ?

Thanks
Your research has apparently overlooked the fact that water pressure through the pipes in a residential setting is substantially higher than on a boat. Above 65psi in a house, around 25psi in a boat via a fresh water pump.

How do you plan on getting your new power flush toilet pressurized between flushes?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 06:11   #8
Marine Service Provider

The prices of power flush toilets are about the same or more than electric macerating marine toilets. The early macerating marine toilets needed 1-3 gallons of water/flush...today's macerating toilets use about 2 liters/flush--about 1/3 what a power toilet uses. Power flush toilets don't puree solids and TP...macerating toilets do...even manual toilets break up solids. That matters whether you're going directly overboard (aesthetics in an anchorage do matter) or into a tank. And has others have already said, household toilets rely on gravity...marine toilets have pumps that push the flush to its destination.

So unless you have a very large boat with heads well above the waterline, at least a 200 gallon holding tank and carry enough fresh water to be able to spare at least 7 gal/person/day for toilet flushing, I'd give this idea a LOT more thought if I were you.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 06:44   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

might work if you install the toilet to the flybridge of the Hartteras (that's supposed to "Hatteras", right?).
But seriously, I would be very very concerned about the sea flushing into the toilet and into the boat. I would not do it.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 07:34   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
After a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that there is no valid reason to not look at replacing a marine toilet with a residential toilet. ...........................
I would question how your research led you to that conclusion.

People here have given you several reasons why it's not a good idea and I agree with them. Let me just give you something else to think about - If residential toilets were a good choice for boats, why don't the boat manufacturers install them instead of marine toilets?

Marine toilets are made the way they are for several reasons. They are different than residential toilets because the conditions on a boat are very different than the conditions in a house.
Old 29-03-2017, 07:39   #11

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

What is the reason for wanting a residential toilet?

If it is simply shape and size, you can get marine toilets that have the same size bowl and seat as household terlits.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 07:53   #12
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Thank you for the input.
Points taken, all good ones.
So much for that idea...lol
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 08:45   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
After a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that there is no valid reason to not look at replacing a marine toilet with a residential toilet.

The water requirement is as low as 1.2 gallons on a residential toilet. Far less than years ago. There are one piece toilets now with power flush so clogging would be reduced immensely if not completely.

I am sure there is probably some ridiculous blue law on the books stopping the use of residential toilets on a boat.

Input please ?

Thanks
I can see you put a lot of thought into this . As pointed out and I will elaborate, you would need a way of storing waste, pumping waste from it and pumping water in. Was this red thinking?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 09:00   #14

A 240 v macerator set up would work with an inverter? They can be set up in basements far from the drain. Pump uphill through 1 1/2" pipe work. Straight into holding tank. Probably? [emoji4]
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 16:06   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
What is the reason for wanting a residential toilet?

If it is simply shape and size, you can get marine toilets that have the same size bowl and seat as household terlits.
+1...why?

If you just want a larger toilet then there are larger marine versions.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, oil