Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 06:55   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Switching to fresh water flush question

No sea water toilet should ever be connected to the fresh water system, and every toilet mfr specifically warns against it in their installation instructions because it exposes the fresh water supply to potential e-coli contamination.

You could have accomplished the same thing safely by teeing the head intake line into the head sink drain line. To flush with fresh water close the seacock, fill the sink with clean fresh water (do NOT flush gray water!)...flush the toilet. Because the seacock is closed the toilet pulls the water out of the sink, rinsing the sea water out of the whole system--intake line, pump, channel in the rim of the bowl and the discharge line.

See post #2 in this thread for more details.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:06   #17

i have these exact toilets and replumbed. I took a tee off the non pressureized water and simply open this fresh water valve and close the salt thru hull. I use fresh the last day of my trips and salt during the trip. It took a full day of cutting hoses and installing clamps etc. I wouldnt buy new heads.
Capt Larry
its amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:53   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by its amazing View Post
i have these exact toilets and replumbed. I took a tee off the non pressureized water and simply open this fresh water valve and close the salt thru hull. I use fresh the last day of my trips and salt during the trip. It took a full day of cutting hoses and installing clamps etc. I wouldnt buy new heads.Capt Larry
I suggest you read post #16 in this thread.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:21   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Capt. Larry, I see Peggie beat me to it. She is right, as usual, there is a chance of sewage contaminating that water tank. If you want to hook your raw water toilet to a fresh water tank, dedicate that tank to the toilet. Don't drink, shower or wash dishes from it.

Peggie's sink drain trick works very well and is safe as there is both a closed valve and an air gap preventing bacteria from getting into the fresh water system.
Old 01-08-2016, 13:46   #20

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We switched our marine toilets for Jabsco Quiet Flush Fresh Water Toilets ten years ago and love them!

In the aft cabin we have a standard size and in the forward we have the household size, which we fondly refer to as the "Big Butt Toilet".

We lived aboard seven years, cruising for three of those... The joker value has been replaced on both toilets once, but no other real maintenance.

Other nice thing about Jabsco Quiet Flush is that it almost never clogs since everything is macerated as it leaves the bowl. I joke that it will chew up Apples!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 16:22   #21

Boat: Norseman 447

One thing I like about my new yacht is that it has a FW flush tank slightly smaller than holding tank, when it runs out its time to empty holding tank, it is totally seperate from house supply, when at sea you can still switch to SW flush but I'm going to leave it on FW as it gives me more reason to run watermaker
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 18:54   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
it is totally seperate from house supply, when at sea you can still switch to SW flush but I'm going to leave it on FW as it gives me more reason to run watermaker
That you can feed it from the water maker sounds like it's not quite totally separate from the house supply. There shouldn't be ANY common plumbing, not even the vent or the fill...'cuz bacteria can migrate.
Old 02-08-2016, 18:02   #23

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

I have been using the Marine Elegance toilets with the SeaFresh option, these are plumbed from the factory to run on either freshwater or raw water at the flick of a switch.

I actually run the raw water input into a tank of Odorloss tank fertilizer and switch over to that source once a week for one quick flush to add this stuff to the tank.

I have yet to rebuild these heads although it must be near time to rebuild them as I have been using two of them for about 5 years now. Always on fresh water other than to test the other circuit and still going strong.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
That you can feed it from the water maker sounds like it's not quite totally separate from the house supply. There shouldn't be ANY common plumbing, not even the vent or the fill...'cuz bacteria can migrate.
I guess the safe way is to fill a jug without the hose touching the jug and the tipping this into the head water tank.

Sounds a lot of work BUT a crew with very bad guts at sea is a big safety risk. Much of likely to die from a mistake made by a sick crew than from Pirate attack or keel falling of mid ocean.
xyzpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:05   #25

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

I have used a Vetus electric toilet for two seasons with fresh water flushing and am quite happy with it except for two problems. First problem is that my black water tank is higher than the toilet which leads to some black water coming back into the toilet again. Because of this it's being flushed more than necessary. Second problem is that with the first problem and two families on board, the water consumption is very high. I think to remember it uses 3,3 liters every normal flush so daily consumption just for the toilet is around 70 liters.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:09   #26
Marine Service Provider

First problem is that my black water tank is higher than the toilet which leads to some black water coming back into the toilet again. Because of this it's being flushed more than necessary. Second problem is that with the first problem and two families on board, the water consumption is very high.

Unless your tank is a LOT higher than the toilet, there's a fairly simple cure for both problems: Re-route your toilet discharge hose to go straight up to a loop that's just slightly higher than the top of the tank. You'll only have to flush long enough to push the bowl contents over the top of the loop...gravity will get it the rest of the way. Then flush only the minimum amount of clean water over the loop to rinse out the hose. Adding water to the bowl ahead of solids (use a cup from the sink) will also reduce the amount of flush water needed because you won't need to flush as long to rinse the bowl. That should reduce the amount of flush water needed by about 50%. Most of that rinse water will run back to the toilet, but it will be clean water. Frequent replacement of the joker valve will keep it out of the bowl.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:07   #27

Hi Peggie,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my installation. The picture below shows the forward head during installation of the black water tank. The top of the tank is at head height. The white hose is the flush hose which goes straight to the top of the tank. Is this bend at the top of the tank not sufficient as a loop as you suggest? I think the problem is that when I flush (3,3ltrs) this is not sufficient to get the black water past this bend. If I flush twice (6,6ltrs) this is just sufficient and very little black water goes back into the toilet.

Would implementing a non return valve at toilet level be a good solution?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Forward black water tank installation.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	128945
Old 03-08-2016, 11:11   #28
Marine Service Provider

Would implementing a non return valve at toilet level be a good solution?

No, 'cuz it could easily become clogged with salt, sea water minerals and or waste, turning it into a no way valve that'll create major problems.

However, you also have another problem: your tank appears to be metal. Urine is so corrosive that any metal tank, even 316 SS, will typically start to leak at a weld--a seam or a fitting within about 5 years and turn into a colander in about 10 years. It really needs to be replaced with a sturdy plastic tank before you see the first leak because the first leak is always ONLY the FIRST leak, so you want to remove it when it's convenient, not after you have to deal with even a small spill. Your best source in your part of the world is Tek-Tanks...they're in the UK and build top quality tanks. Tek Tanks Boat Tanks

I also see that you have it installed to allow you to discharge via gravity. That's fine, but it looks like you have the room to go with a shorter wider tank which would make it easier to plumb to reduce your flush water consumption.

You're welcome to contact me directly (please use the email option instead of PM) if you want to brainstorm all this in more detail than is practical in a forum.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:20   #29

It sounds like the already completed project "Install black water tank" is back on the to do list!
Old 03-08-2016, 14:26   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundOfSilence View Post
It sounds like the already completed project "Install black water tank" is back on the to do list!
If you completed it well within the last 5 years, you have a little time to save up some boatcoins (those are marine bitcoins...each is worth $1k). But do keep an eye--and your nose!--on that tank.

Tags
water