Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 05:10   #16

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Sink drain & bilge pump, same discharge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I would also never want a bilge pump outlet to be below the waterline. On a sailboat the best location is the transom, with the sides at the stern a second choice. About halfway between the waterline and deck with an anti-siphon loop under the deck.

There are pumps that can save a boat but as posted 1500 gph units won't.

Pacer Pumps
Flow rate up to 280 gpm (that's minute).
Wow, checked out those Pacer pumps. Not quite sure how'd I get one of monsters into my bilge, but once I do....I think the discharge hose, properly placed with a jet nozzle on it could get me one more knot.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 15:13   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Sink drain is into a 1 1/2" Stand Pipe. The 3/4" outlet bilge pump is tee'd into the drain. Works fine. The bilge pump is strictly for small water intrusion, don't expect it to be a lifesaver. Have an Edson Diaphragm pump for serous water removal.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 15:12   #18

Boat: C&C27 mk1 27ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Hello friends,

I have been trying to square away my plumbing while at work so when I get off the ship I can knock it out quickly. I am racking my head over this and didn't find much online regarding this so I'm asking you people for guidance.

To start off, let me tell you what I'm working with. Under my galley sink(and the two head sinks too) Redemption has three seacocks, a 3/4", 1", and a 1.25". As it stands now, I have a Whale Gulper hand bilge pump going to the 1.25. The other two I have been trying to figure out.

I have a sink drain, a footpump for S/W, and a 1500gph auto bilge pump that need thru hull services. I was going to put the foot pump on the 3/4" for water conservation uses. The other two I was planning on using the 1" seacock with a "T" fitting that would be on its side. The top would have the bilge pump plumbed to it with a vented loop. And the side hole would be for the sink drain.

Is this possible? I have honestly thought myself numb. I have read that people put the head sink drain on the toilet intake seacock with a "T" fitting. The only difference I see is the toilet is a suction and the bilge pump is a pressure.

I'm attaching a lovely, professional diagram of the setup I'm talking about for purposes of everyone being on the same page. Attachment 111152

A side note, all of my thru-hulls are Below the waterline save for two 2" cockpit drain holes.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
My electric bilge pump with 3/4 hose was dumping thru a T on the galley sink 1 1/2" thru hull (prvious owner). I didn't think that was a good idea but actually never had a problem but then the bilge pump seldom needed to work. If it did, I couldn't hear it with that plumbing config. I changed it to a dedicated above water thru hull.

But now I am faced with water for my head. It was using fresh water but I disconnected that and have just been dumping cups of water from the head sink. Wife refused to use any water on a boat that was connected to a head. So long story short, like the question above re dual purpose thru hulls, can I put a T in the head sink drain and suck sea water into the head or should I be putting in a dedicated below water thru hull and valve.
mike-atoakville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 15:31   #19

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-atoakville View Post
My electric bilge pump with 3/4 hose was dumping thru a T on the galley sink 1 1/2" thru hull (prvious owner). I didn't think that was a good idea but actually never had a problem but then the bilge pump seldom needed to work. If it did, I couldn't hear it with that plumbing config. I changed it to a dedicated above water thru hull.

But now I am faced with water for my head. It was using fresh water but I disconnected that and have just been dumping cups of water from the head sink. Wife refused to use any water on a boat that was connected to a head. So long story short, like the question above re dual purpose thru hulls, can I put a T in the head sink drain and suck sea water into the head or should I be putting in a dedicated below water thru hull and valve.
I have read where a head sunk drain and toilet intake have been on the same thru-hull. I plan on doing this in on of my heads as I need the extra seacock for my larger bilge pump.

SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 15:33   #20

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
can I put a T in the head sink drain and suck sea water into the head
A friends new boat was plumbed that way to use freshwater for the head, close thru hull, run faucet to fill sink, flush.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 17:17   #21

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Use a dedicated sea cock.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 01:53   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Hello friends,

I have been trying to square away my plumbing while at work so when I get off the ship I can knock it out quickly. I am racking my head over this and didn't find much online regarding this so I'm asking you people for guidance.

To start off, let me tell you what I'm working with. Under my galley sink(and the two head sinks too) Redemption has three seacocks, a 3/4", 1", and a 1.25". As it stands now, I have a Whale Gulper hand bilge pump going to the 1.25. The other two I have been trying to figure out.

I have a sink drain, a footpump for S/W, and a 1500gph auto bilge pump that need thru hull services. I was going to put the foot pump on the 3/4" for water conservation uses. The other two I was planning on using the 1" seacock with a "T" fitting that would be on its side. The top would have the bilge pump plumbed to it with a vented loop. And the side hole would be for the sink drain.

Is this possible? I have honestly thought myself numb. I have read that people put the head sink drain on the toilet intake seacock with a "T" fitting. The only difference I see is the toilet is a suction and the bilge pump is a pressure.

I'm attaching a lovely, professional diagram of the setup I'm talking about for purposes of everyone being on the same page. Attachment 111152

A side note, all of my thru-hulls are Below the waterline save for two 2" cockpit drain holes.

If I understand the physics of the proposed installation, whenever the water height above the through-hull will be larger than the height of the water column between the sink bottom and the T connector the water from the bilge will drain into the sink.
If the outside water height above seacock will be still higher than the water column between sink top and the T, the water will overflow out of the sink. All that while the boat is standing still. When the boat will lean over (waves, wind) the scenario will be worse.

As to bilge pumps - I have purchased a large mobile pump (4,000 GPH). Connected it to a long flat plastic hose (than can be rolled into a relatively small size package) and attached to the pump set of long wires with crocodile connectors. Now I can connect the pump to any battery on board, throw the pump where water ingress is and direct the water out using the hose through nearest opening.
This pumps is extra to the normal bilge pumps (pumps - as the boat is a cat, we have one in each hull) - both standard pumps have audible alarms.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump