Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2011, 04:44   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Simple marine ac question

While exploring our boat I noticed that someone had folded over and zip tied the drain hose on the drain pan for the evaporator causing water to fill the pan. Is this normal? Unit is a mermaid 12k btu . thanks for any advice ...
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 05:12   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Simple marine ac question

Yes, that water is condensation from the evaporator and is normal. Folding and tying off the drain hose is not normal.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 05:15   #3

No, not normal, but they did it for some reason. On some boats the condensate just drains into the bilge. On others it drains into a sump. Personally I like the sump approach better if it's feasible on your boat. That way normally occurring water is contained in the sump, and the bilge is otherwise dry.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 05:32   #4

The unit is under our cockpit floor there is a drain in the cavity there. Any water draining out of the drip pan will easily drain out. I know on one of our camper ac units it uses water to humidify the air its circulating. I wasn't sure if this was the same idea or not.
Old 25-12-2011, 07:12   #5

I have a 12k mermaid that I installed this year in a cockpit lazarette. I did't care for the condensate hose draining into the bilge, as it could drain several gallons per day and make the bilge pump run consequently. Since the unit was next to my refrigeration compressor, I simply "tee'd" the condensate drain hose into the refrigeration cooling water discharge thru hull and it has been working very well. I may have a picture to show you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00251.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	35112   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00273.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	35113  

Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 08:42   #6

Do you possibly have the Mermaid Condensator, and it's plugged up? That would explain the drain hose being tied off, but only if they used the smaller suction hose from the Condensator going directly into the drain pan at possibly a lower point, if the pans drain port isn't located at a low point to fully drain it.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 13:54   #7

Looked everywhere. And couldn't find the condensator. Had to google it just to see what it was lol. Not sure this boat would even need it as there are multiple drains under the bridge deck at its lowest point. Im thinking it was someone who didn't know what they were doing or planning obsolescence on the prior owners