Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2009, 21:02   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Scaling w/ Various Intake Hoses

Specifically I am asking about head intake hose, but the question would apply equally to other applications.

Does the type of hose affect the rate of scaling? Asked differently, does a lined hose (Teflon or HDPE) scale more slowly than a nitrile hose or other materials, by virtue of internal slipperiness?

Chemical transfer hose is more expensive, but if the lifetime is much longer, then it is a deal.
Old 21-05-2009, 23:43   #2

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Hmm, I've never seen scaling or bio growth of any significance on any intake hose. Now head DISCHARGE hose; that's another matter. 1/2 c. vinegar every week pumped through and allowed to sit in the hose greatly helps this.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 00:58   #3

Boat: William Garden Ketch
I am also interested in this. I get a lot of build up on my intake hoses but mine are to the main strainers and then on the output of the strainer (I have 2) that go into a single manifold. It gets so bad that I have to take off the hoses about every three months and ram through a long broom handle I keep specifically for the job. I always thought this was the penalty for living in the tropics in a shallow marina with aircons running frequently. But would be interested to know if a different type of hose is less susceptible
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 08:11   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
It always seemed curious to me that the scaling is terrible in the hose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SariTimur View Post
I am also interested in this. I get a lot of build up on my intake hoses but mine are to the main strainers and then on the output of the strainer (I have 2) that go into a single manifold. It gets so bad that I have to take off the hoses about every three months and ram through a long broom handle I keep specifically for the job. I always thought this was the penalty for living in the tropics in a shallow marina with aircons running frequently. But would be interested to know if a different type of hose is less susceptible
and less other places. In my work we have learned to use slippery plastics to avoid the problem, since scale likes rough surfaces, which help initialize the crystallization. However, Teflon lined hose is $$$ (at work it matters much less), costing far more than the head! (HosecraftUSA.com - Price & Purchase Configurator) I am confident this would help, but at $55/foot....