Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 12:25   #1

Boat: '75 Catalina 30
Rule Automatic Pump and Switch.

I've installed a new Rule-Mate Fully Automated Bilge Pump 1100GPH / 4164LPH pump and a Rule bilge switch model 143. I've attached a diagram with my exact wiring as it is.

Notes:
  • When the brown/white wire is attached to Manual and brown attached to Auto, it doesn't work.
  • When the above is reversed... the brown/white wire is attached to Auto and brown attached to Manual, manual works, and auto doesn't (the light doesn't turn on)
  • I've tried submerging the pump in water to test the auto feature, but that still doesn't work. I assume the light on the switch should always be on when Auto is selected.
I also ran a new wire from the bilge to the auto-switch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. All wires are new.

Thanks

75c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:59   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Rule Automatic Pump and Switch.

The brown/white wire should be attached to the manual side of the switch. The brown wire should be attached to the automatic side of the switch. The black wire should go to the negative post on the battery.

The pump should come on immediately when you switch to manual. The manual side is momentary and it will switch off when you let it go.

It you submerge the pump and put the switch to auto, it will be a minute or so before the pump comes on. This delay is to prevent splashing water from turning on the pump.

The light on the switch plate will only come on when the pump is actually running.

It looks like you wired it correctly. Get out your meter and see if electricity is getting where it should. Are you keeping the pump submerged for a full minute. when you test the auto feature?
Old 02-08-2017, 13:23   #3

Thanks for the reply, some notes:

• When the brown/white wire is connected to Auto, and the brown wire is connected to Manual, the Manual mode works fine.
  • If it's wired correctly as shown in my diagram, when I click Auto, the pump turns on and nothing happens when I switch to Auto.
I'll run a test with it reversed and see if the Auto engages after a minute.
Old 02-08-2017, 16:12   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Check the switch with your multi meter. Could be a faulty switch. Should have current at both sides when they are switched on. Also check that you've got electrons at the pump with the switch on for that side. Recently bought a new pump when the old one wouldn't come on in the auto position without checking that I was getting voltage at the pump. Turned out the auto wire had broken at a hidden splice that the PO had just connected the wires by twisting them together. Should have known better as the PO's wiring on this boat makes a rats nest look neat and clean. Oh well, I now have a spare pump.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 16:53   #5

The manual mode only works when the brown/white and brown are reversed. Still no luck with the auto position either way.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:34   #6

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c30 View Post
The manual mode only works when the brown/white and brown are reversed. Still no luck with the auto position either way.
try testing the pump by directly connecting the power wire(s) to a 12v source.
This will identify which is manual and which is automatic. When testing automatic you may need to wait some amount of time for the pump to detect the water. If you have a sensitive ammeter in the circuit look to see is auto mode is drawing any current.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:37   #7

Boat: ODAY 28

I do not mean to hijack your thread, but I have replaced several rule float switches on several boats lately, they do mot seam to last like they use to. has any else had had problems with these float switches. or suggest a more reliable switch
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:24   #8

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c30 View Post
Are you sure you're connecting to the correct terminals on the back of the switch? For the Rule 43 the Manual terminal is next to the Ground terminal, on the top side. On any 3 position toggle or rocker switch, the terminals are opposite of the direction of the toggle or rocker.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 14:50   #9

Brewgyver, thank you, that was the fix. The wiring diagram you provided didn't come with my switch. I've tested and everything works as expected now. Thanks again for all of the replies.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:46   #10

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I just had that very pump Die after 2 years on my 38 . I purchased from West marine and Always purchase the extra years warrenty ! . They made a exchange at West Marine yesterday 125.00 pump. I have two bilge pumps in use and always carry 2 spairs ! Rule 1100 GPH . My self I have never had this model pump last more than 2 years.
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule