Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 18:44   #1

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB
Replacement for Jabsco manual toilet

Hi Peggie and all -

Peggie, I don't know if you remember me, but you were a huge help about 14 years ago when we bought a '78 Trojan F32 and had to do extensive repairs to the Vacuflush system. The system was trouble-free from there on.

We now have a 1995 Albin 28TE that has a Jabsco manual toilet (#29020-0000) that I'm not thrilled with. It leaks at the pump housing while pumping fresh water, I randomly encounter strong resistance in the pump handle (the holding tank is not full), and there is intermittent backflow into the bowl from the holding tank. I haven't put anything in this toilet yet except baking soda dissolved in water, vinegar solution, and KO (not all at once). The hoses probably need to be replaced and we need a bigger tank, but that's a separate project.

I know we could replace the pump assembly, but I just don't have much faith that this toilet is engineered to perform to my standards. I expect a toilet to work consistently without clogging or backing up.

I've been doing lots of reading here, and a Raritan toilet sounds like a good choice. I think that because of the very small head, my only choice is a PHC. I've looked at the dimensions, and they seem very similar to the existing Jabsco. There really isn't room to go significantly larger.

I like that the PHC would almost be a drop-in replacement as it uses seawater (same as the Jabsco) and is a manual toilet, so no need to run wiring.

I like the idea of Marine Elegance, but it just won't comfortably in the space.

Before I place an order, I just wanted to check whether I'm missing anything important.

Thanks for your help.

Nancy
nwh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 16:20   #2

Nancy, Peg retired, again, recently....after I hit her up with a Jabsco question too!! LOL I suggest you rebuild the Jabsco...kit under $100 as I recall, and a quick job...should solve your back flow and leaking. With regards to the pumping difficulty, it could be a clogged vent line, but with the leaking pump you mention, that may also be the cause. Best of luck...no fun though, been there.... Bob
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 16:56   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Replacement for Jabsco manual toilet

We'll all pitch in.

Forget the rebuild kit. Get a replacement pump for $89:
Jabsco Twist 'n' Lock Pump Assembly
It really is a simple replacement: 3 hoses and 2 bolts. This will make the head very close to new.

As for the drain-back, that's the joker valve, which is included in the new pump (and will need replaced annually no matter what head you get).
Old 09-06-2012, 17:10   #4
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Jabsco may surprise you with their customer service. I had a pump fail and they sent a new pump no questions asked. My brother contacted customer service about 2 heads in a boat he bought and they sent 2 rebuild kits free of charge. I give them 2 thumbs up for any service related experiences.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 17:44   #5

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB

Thanks, everyone!

I can't believe Peggie retired right before I needed her!

Yes, I know that the pump assembly swap-out is pretty easy and less $$ than a new toilet. And I'm all for saving money. My husband, who will be undoubtedly be doing the work--lol--says he only wants to do this once, so if a PHC is significantly better than the Jabsco, we'd just as soon upgrade. I dunno - the Jabsco just doesn't seem to have much oomph if you know what I mean. I've put toilet paper in the bowl to see what happens, and it disappears, but not very quickly or confidently. I'm concerned about putting in anything more substantial than tp....

Nancy
nwh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 18:19   #6

Yes, replace...that's what I meant. Exactly what I did....easy.
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco