Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2009, 16:22   #1

Katadyn Watermaker - Opinions?

For a variety of reasons, I figure a PowerSurvivor 80 might be the most suitable watermaker for my needs. Does anyone have one? How does it do in real life?

Cheers
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 16:27   #2

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
I have the 160e and it works just as advertised. Dead simple to install, very compact for restricted spaces, even the pickling is easy when I am not using it. Uses more power than some of the more modern units, but is also quite a bit less expensive. I have had it about 4 years with no complaints.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 17:55   #3

Boat: 36' Cascade
I had a PUR 35, had it mounted in the engine compartment and the motor burnt up last summer. I don't know how old it was, at least 15 years. I burn't it by running with to much heat, while the engine was running. Replaced it with a 160, works great, and I don't run the water if the engine has been running. They like cool air for the electric motor, I think most are that way.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 18:14   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I have a Powersurvivor 160. The high pressure pump failed at 20 hours by snapping 4 cap screws off that hold it together. I put a new seal kit in and replaced the screws with new ones from Katadyn and it's working again, but have not reached 20 hours yet. The screws must be tightened to a specific torque and the original may not have been torqued properly. These screws must be removed to put in a new seal kit (standard 500 hr maintenance) so I recommend that you get a torque wrench before you do a seal replacement. Makes great water.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 11:19   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I've had two Power Survivor 80's over the last 20 years, but would think twice about buying another unit from Katadyn. When the Swiss took over PUR, the spare parts pricing went through the roof.

For example, when the bearings in the drive got wet and failed, their response was 'you are not supposed to be able to take it apart--buy a new drive assembly for 2000 euro'. Finally found a new bearing online for $20. A new piston rod for the pump (simple SS rod about the size of a little finger--over 100 euro.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 18:07   #6

Thanks for the feedback, definitely food for thought.

Cheers.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katadyn, watermaker