Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 01:01   #1

Boat: Elan 40
Installation of matrix heater?

Hi, I might be in a minority to ask about heaters in this forum but still.. I've been considering installing a matrix heater in which the engine cooling liquid is circulating and fans heat the air in the cabin.

I guess for usage during engine running this is straightforward as long as the introduced extra pressure drop does not exceed engine's circulation pump's capacity.

What about in the harbour? Then I would need an electric circulation pump. Then I would also certainly need a bypass line so that liquid is circulating also when the engine is running and the electric pump is not. The bypass line would need a non-return valve to make pumping work + valve to control the matrix temperature. Then there is the boiler. I would not like to cool it down, only engine, so there should be valves to bypass the boiler circulation.

So.. very complicated - more joints, more potential leaks, more valves to forget in a wrong position, possibility to overheat the engine..

Is it worth it or do I just turn on the Webasto?

Please share your experiences & views!
tuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:16   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: Installation of matrix heater?

I have a Red Dot engine coolant heater works like a car heater, the only time I use it is when I'am out in cool weather & running from the lower helm or guest are in the salon & need heat when I'am on the bridge. If I had a diesel fired heater I would use that, if I was you I'ld save myself the work but a little more information on where your at & your boat may get a better answer from others. Good luck
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation