Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 16:15   #16

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Re: I'm afraid of my head!

Hilarious... I am petrified of $&@t especially my own. Now I have dealt with kids nappies (diapers) and owned a small cattle farm so I have dealt with it when needed. And I would never own an RV because I hate the thought of hauling $&@t around the country, what if you crash! I don't know how I'm going to handle the boat when I get it. Probably flush it a thousand times then replace everything with new. God forbid a guest has a blockage and calls for my help... probably burn the boat and call the insurance company. I'm having nightmares already...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 16:19   #17
Marine Service Provider

So, how do you deal with a simple plug-up?

They're actually very rare unless you have guests aboard who flush something they shouldn't have...tampon, wet wipe or anything else except what's gone through you and quick-dissolve TP. Solid waste is about 75% water to start with and it gets broken up going through the pump, so it dissolves very quickly in the tank. If it should decide to try to set up housekeeping the toilet discharge, wait an hour...99 x out of 100 it will have dissolved enough to go on through. Adding water to the bowl ahead of solids (if your toilet isn't designed to bring in water and hold it, use a cup from the sink!) will help and also leave you with a cleaner bowl.

Like most things prevention is easier than cure...so keep the toilet well lubricated. Prevent sea water mineral buildup in the hoses with a cupful of distilled white vinegar flushed all the way through to the tank once a week. Replace the joker valve annually...most people think that blocking backflow is a joker valve's only job...when that's actually the LEAST important thing it does. It creates the vacuum the pump needs to push anything through the system. And pay close attention to your holding tank vent! A blocked vent will pressurize the system creating backpressure that it's easy to mistake for a clog. Your first clue: the toilet starts to get harder to pump. Stop using the toilet till you've cleared the vent.

At the risk of being accused of shameless self-promotion, you MIGHT consider checking out the link in my signature...it goes to a comprehensive "marine toilets and holding tanks 101" manual that can prevent a lot "head" aches. And I'm always glad to answer questions and help to solve problems too.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 16:19   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I purchased my boat over 6 months ago, and I've yet to use it for anything except liquid. I'm worried that the first time I use it, it's going to plug up and I'm not entirely sure just how you go about un-plugging it.

I've googled the subject, but all I get is how to deal with plugging caused by seawater deposits - ie using vinegar, etc

My boat has a Jabsco manual head. I've replace the pump assembly, so that part is working very well. There is about an 8-ft pipe run between the bowl and the tank. That run goes up to a value, then down to the tank.

I understand about putting little of no toilet paper in the bowl.

Relax. For the most par they are infrequent or non-existent provided one has done one's routine maintenance and allowed nothing in the head save human waste or TP. In the unlikely event of a clog, throw a couple of caps full of Raritan CP into the bowl together with a cup full of dis detergent mixed with water. Pump that into you lines and then go have a cuppa tea/coffee. COme back in an hour or two an give the head a few more pumps with fresh water and 99 times out of 100, the clog will clear. 'S'not hard. Just part of the learning experience.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 16:32   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

We have a manual toilet and it has never clogged up in the nearly 15 years that we have had our boat.

THE stuff goes in and plain toilet paper too.

Ours is an RM toilet. It is very much Jabsco like.

Clogged toilets ... yes, I have seen them. Electric ones, on other people's boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 17:41   #20

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Pump (rapidly) as you poop has worked for us, and toilet paper in a sandwich bag, inside a larger ziplock bag. Filling the bowl with water prior, also helps.

redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 18:38   #21
Marine Service Provider

Actually slower more deliberate pumping works much better.
Old 29-11-2016, 19:15   #22

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you clog and just wait for a while the clog will soften up and pass. Btw I'm got a cheap bottom of the line head and it has never clogged in 8 years if poop and paper going down it
Do not listen to DonPut the paper in a bag after use and do not put it down the head Don is creating propaganda for amusement... He will be LHAO when the inevitable clog becomes a reality. If you get a clog, abandon ship. When you go remember to take the deep fat fryer, if the pirates get it, you will never get it back.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 20:22   #23

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Actually slower more deliberate pumping works much better.

Perhaps I should have phrased this as 'pumping continuously so as to avoid overwhelming the pump with a greater volume of waste than can be passed through safely.' That is, don't wait until you have completed your business to start pumping. Pump as you go.

Geez! This is difficult to discuss in polite terms.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 21:02   #24
Marine Service Provider

Geez! This is difficult to discuss in polite terms.

Really???

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 29-11-2016, 21:46   #25
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Gosh. It's just poop.

I truth, you can use quite a lot of TP, if it is used in proportion to the amount of water. I remind my guests that using more water will never be criticized.

A reminder about wipes etc is good, and do make sure that zip lock bags are available and prominent. No one should have to ask.

Never a clog in 20 years with a marine head. Intake side with grass several times (VERY tough area with thick layers and heavy tide), but then I added a strainer.
Old 29-11-2016, 22:17   #26

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

First, for those who are squeemish, or can't find the right words, here's a term you can use. CHT. It's a Navy acronym for Containment, Holding, & Transfer. Which is what the tanks & plumbing for shipboard grey, & black water are called, shipboard. AKA all of the heads & their plumbing, including that used to pump it off of the ship. In port, & at sea.

Okay. No one's much addressed the plunger issue yet. So... Leave them At Home!!!

Think about how much pressure a plunger generates, along with the fact that fluids are incompressible. Then picture that pressure acting on any & all of the hose joints in your CHT plumbing. Do you really want a pressurized hose (full of "CHT") breaking loose? Talk about a mess! Cleaning such up would make taking apart a clogged head seem like an all expenses paid vacation. Ugh! Least that's how I figure it

Nuff said.

Edit: Only pressurize your CHT system when Sea Shepards are nearby, & you need to repel boarders, with, um, "fire hoses"

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 04:44   #27

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I purchased my boat over 6 months ago, and I've yet to use it for anything except liquid. I'm worried that the first time I use it, it's going to plug up and I'm not entirely sure just how you go about un-plugging it.

I've googled the subject, but all I get is how to deal with plugging caused by seawater deposits - ie using vinegar, etc

My boat has a Jabsco manual head. I've replace the pump assembly, so that part is working very well. There is about an 8-ft pipe run between the bowl and the tank. That run goes up to a value, then down to the tank.

If you're afraid of your head, you might as well sell the boat right now because there are far more complex things you're going to have to learn to deal with on a boat.

Get the book mentioned in post #17 and study it until you understand how boat sanitation systems work.

Quote:
Huh? Apparently you do not understand. Marine heads are capable of accepting toilet paper. They would be pretty useless if they couldn't because that's the normal way of cleaning ourselves. Requiring people to put used toilet paper in a bag or other container rather than down the toilet is a sure way to reduce the number of visitors on your boat. And imagine cruising for months with bags of poop stained paper on board.

Read the book, use the head normally and worry about other things.
Old 30-11-2016, 04:48   #28

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Now I have dealt with kids nappies (diapers) and owned a small cattle farm so I have dealt with it when needed.
This brought back memories of my father changing my little brothers' diapers when I was kid. Bear of a man, probably the toughest guy I've ever met, would wrap a bandana around his face and run to the outside trash with the "package" held between two finger tips...
Old 30-11-2016, 05:46   #29

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The Jabsco manual head is probably 50% of what's installed, making it by far the most common head.

If the clog is a big log, pour in some liquid head chemical it will break down in an hour.

If it's because some landlubber put something bad in the head (one reason why I don't invite land people on the boat anymore) then you will likely have to disassemble the head. Depending on where the clog is, you may find it easier to remove the entire head and take it out to the picnic table.

Go ahead and put marine TP in it.

I forgot who said it, but I'll suggest it again: keep the head lubricated. Put some veggie oil in it now and then. You'll notice a big difference pumping.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 06:54   #30

Boat: O'Day 302

You should LOVE pooping in your boat toilet! Don't be scared. It'll soon become your second throne.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head