Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2023, 20:48   #1

Boat: Endurance 35'
Grey Water Holding Tank Switch(es)

Hello and good evening to you all...

I need some help to make a decision about installing one or two switches in my grey waters holding tank. I explain...

I am restoring my old Endurance 35 ketch boat and in the past, it had a manual switch in the lavatory to turn on/off a macerator pump located over a holding tank which is located under the main captain cabin under level floor.

When I bought the boat last year, the old pump was burned and it was already removed from the original location which is now empty and only has a Y Valve , some old hoses and of course the 12v cabling.

After some research about grey water pumps, I have bought a Whale Gulper 220 pump, UK made, a strong and sturdy diafragma pump. It fits in that weird place!

My doubt is: should I just keep it simple and just use the manual switch in the lavatory as originally planned to turn on/off the pump? (This has the risk of frying again a pump due to dry use but on the other hand, it would be easy to maintain)

Or should I add an automatic or floating switch inside the holding tank plus the manual switch with the natural complications of cabling, maintaining a submerged automatic switch plus installing a relay or even a relay box plus the corresponding wires to control which switch acts as the master while using the lavatory? (This would be specially hard if maintenance is needed due the strange location which act as a small torture chamber for ones knees)

What do you think? Should I keep it simple or make an electronic full automatic and redundant configuration? The holding tank is already molded in the hull.

I would really apprecciatte your thoughts...
Alfie
capalfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:10   #2

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon
Re: Grey Water Holding Tank Switch(es)

A float switch in the poo-pit won't work for long (probably float up once and never down again), it would need to be some form of contactless level sensor - ultra sonic, capacitive, etc
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

OP refers to the tank as a GRAY Water (shower, bath and galley water) holding tank. Is it actually a gray water tank or is it a mis-named BLACK water (sewage) holding tank?

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 10:07   #4

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

If it is truly GREY water you are describing [i.e., not human waste in BLACK water tanks] consider eliminating the tank and using a Whale IC pump instead.

This is similar to your current strategy and adds an automatic, solid state switch; and eliminates the grey tank which will need to be mucked out on occasion.

We have 3 of these [2 shower stalls and 1 for bilge maintenance] and they work very well since being installed in 2017 [full time cruisers.]

FWIW

Cheers, Bill
Old 06-10-2023, 17:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capalfie View Post
Hello and good evening to you all...

I need some help to make a decision about installing one or two switches in my grey waters holding tank. I explain...

I am restoring my old Endurance 35 ketch boat and in the past, it had a manual switch in the lavatory to turn on/off a macerator pump located over a holding tank which is located under the main captain cabin under level floor.

When I bought the boat last year, the old pump was burned and it was already removed from the original location which is now empty and only has a Y Valve , some old hoses and of course the 12v cabling.

After some research about grey water pumps, I have bought a Whale Gulper 220 pump, UK made, a strong and sturdy diafragma pump. It fits in that weird place!

My doubt is: should I just keep it simple and just use the manual switch in the lavatory as originally planned to turn on/off the pump? (This has the risk of frying again a pump due to dry use but on the other hand, it would be easy to maintain)

Or should I add an automatic or floating switch inside the holding tank plus the manual switch with the natural complications of cabling, maintaining a submerged automatic switch plus installing a relay or even a relay box plus the corresponding wires to control which switch acts as the master while using the lavatory? (This would be specially hard if maintenance is needed due the strange location which act as a small torture chamber for ones knees)

What do you think? Should I keep it simple or make an electronic full automatic and redundant configuration? The holding tank is already molded in the hull.

I would really apprecciatte your thoughts...
Alfie
Thank you for your kind responses...in mine case, a grey water tank is for shower and sink water, not for human waste...that would be black water tank?

I ve should have mentioned that in my post...

I am just giving more thoughts today about the installation, and probably I would change the actual on/off switch and install a 3 way, Bilge Pump switch like those from Rule or Sea Choice. Then I would be able to have the automatic switch inside the tank and be able to use temporary manual as needed...who said that?

Thanks for the suggestion of using a pre-made shower box from Whale! We thought about it, but the tank is so well built and have all the space and connection that is so tempting to use it as it is! Just need to add precisely the sensor sold by Whale and perhaps the switch...
Thx
Alfie
Old 06-10-2023, 17:18   #6

Hello Peggie, how are you? I have your book!!!!! :-))))))))) Love it!

Grey water tank in my case, just for the hand wash sink, shower and I might add someday the kitchen sink, which nows goes direct outside...
Alfie
Old 06-10-2023, 17:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
If it is truly GREY water you are describing [i.e., not human waste in BLACK water tanks] consider eliminating the tank and using a Whale IC pump instead.

This is similar to your current strategy and adds an automatic, solid state switch; and eliminates the grey tank which will need to be mucked out on occasion.

We have 3 of these [2 shower stalls and 1 for bilge maintenance] and they work very well since being installed in 2017 [full time cruisers.]

FWIW

Cheers, Bill
Many thanks Bill! Do you mean the solid state switch from Whale? That's is precisely what I am considering! Out tank is super clean and well built in the hull, with a separator, to avoid water movement while rocking outside and has to strong covers with all the inox screws. Also all the hoses inside and the entrances...to me, it was a luxury design in the 70s that's why it only needs the solid state switch, passing the wires and well, my doubt....perhaps a external 3 way switch. But I really love those well designed Whale IC!!! I might take a second look again just in case...
Alfie
Old 06-10-2023, 17:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcouz View Post
A float switch in the poo-pit won't work for long (probably float up once and never down again), it would need to be some form of contactless level sensor - ultra sonic, capacitive, etc
Thank you Markcouz! It' not a poop tank...it is just for shower and hand wash in the bathroom. Poop goes to another place...
Alfie
Old 07-10-2023, 11:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Hi Alfie...Glad you've found my book useful!

If it were my boat, I'd run the head sink and shower drain into a sump that has a pump to send it overboard too instead of into a tank. 'Cuz sink and shower gray water are full of soap scum, toothpaste, body oils etc that turn into a primordial soup that will stink if it doesn't already and sumps are a LOT easier to clean than tanks. I'm not suggesting you remove the gray water tank...if you do any serious cruising you're likely to find yourself in ports where gray water must be held and be glad you have it.

That's my $.02 worth anyway.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 20:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Hi Alfie...Glad you've found my book useful!

If it were my boat, I'd run the head sink and shower drain into a sump that has a pump to send it overboard too instead of into a tank. 'Cuz sink and shower gray water are full of soap scum, toothpaste, body oils etc that turn into a primordial soup that will stink if it doesn't already and sumps are a LOT easier to clean than tanks. I'm not suggesting you remove the gray water tank...if you do any serious cruising you're likely to find yourself in ports where gray water must be held and be glad you have it.

That's my $.02 worth anyway.

--Peggie
Thank you Peggie!!!!

Your book is located proudly in my boat library!

I have included here some photos so you can see my grey waters holding tank. Sink and Shower waters go there. And there used to be originally a macerator pump, located on top and outside the tank inside a box which used to sends the grey water out of the boat and with a manual pump as a backup. Clever system for the 70s!

First two photos were taken after we bought the boat and I think I opened the tank after...say...hmm...20 years? haha...past owner never used the shower, only the toilet. Probably he didn't know he had a tank down there!

Then couple of photos after I cleaned the tank and now is waiting to be pained with epoxy paint, bottom and also the covers which use like 30 screw each and my idea is to place a wide butyl tape all around to seal the cover. After the covers, comes the floor of course...

And the last to two photos is a close-up of the lower box in the wardrobe where it was located the macerator pump. One can still see the hoses, Y connection and some wires too...there I plan to install the Whale Gulper 220...

My idea would be to use a butyl tape as a seal in order to make it easy to clean and inspect yearly the tank...

Your thoughts are very well welcomed!
Thanks,
Alfie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GreyWaterTank01.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	281816   Click image for larger version

Name:	GreyWaterTank02.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	56.6 KB