Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2014, 12:24   #16

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Fresh water toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
OK then, assuming you go through all the hassle to use fresh water to flush your toilet and manage to not get very sick.... What's the point? Is your sh%t going to smell any better because of it?

And no you cannot just hook up your existing head to your existing fresh water supply...
You are on a roll with misinformation.

Hassle? Simply connect the pressure water system to the back-flow preventer--a tee, hose and clamps--hassle?

You are confused about the purpose of using fresh water to flush. This eliminates the dead seawater microorganisms which create the stench.

And, yes, you can simply connect your existing head to your existing pressurized fresh water system, through a back-flow preventer if it is one which permits this installation; many do.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 13:33   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

I hate to see people advising other people to attempt something that may make them sick. Attempting to connect a raw water flush head to a boat's potable water system is one such thing. And you won't just be sick, you will be very, very sick.

Backflow preventers can and do fail. I have one on my home's irrigation system and I am required by the water company to have it tested once a year by a certified backflow preventer technician. If I don't they will turn my water off. Untrained people doing installations can easily overlook other conditions that can cause cross contamination.

It's true that fresh water flushing can reduce odors (odors caused by sea creatures and plant life from the water that's drawn into the head and dies and decomposes in the head's water passages) but it's not worth risking the health of you and your loved ones and friends. This is the sort of sickness that will be reported by your doctor and investigated by your local health department.

If you want a potable water flush head, buy one and install it exactly as instructed. If you have questions, contact the manufacturer.
Old 25-08-2014, 13:33   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Ranger42c,

No, my assessment was correct. I read the description of the jabsco toilet and I have two of them on board. The back flow preventer is to keep waste from coming back into the bowl from the bottom after the toilet is flushed.

The backflow preventer in our system is incorporated in the solenoid valve assembly, and it prevents water from flowing back toward the fresh water supply. They actually call it a siphon breaker. Model #37045, part #27.

The freshwater head is enabled somewhat more by the separate locations of freshwater inlet (high on rear of the bowl, and then the small holes around the underside of the rim), and the waste outlet (low on the side of the bowl, with a loop over which waste must pass... propelled by the "slinger" (no kidding) in the macerator/pump assembly).

The joker valve, at the entry to the discharge hose, is what keeps waste from coming back into the bowl. Part #11.

-Chris
Old 25-08-2014, 13:54   #19

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I can choose either fresh or sea water and decide how much water to use by the push of a button. I can't wait for this to fail....lol
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 14:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
I can choose either fresh or sea water and decide how much water to use by the push of a button. I can't wait for this to fail....lol
That's a raritan Marine Elegance right? The one with the option of flushing with raw or potable water? Top of the line, best of both worlds. Flush with raw water if you're on a cruise to save potable water, then switch over to potable water for a few flushes before leaving the boat to avoid the odor of decaying organisms.
Old 25-08-2014, 15:53   #21

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

yes, I went a little crazy I got that and a Purasan too.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 15:58   #22

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I hate to see people advising other people to attempt something that may make them sick. Attempting to connect a raw water flush head to a boat's potable water system is one such thing. And you won't just be sick, you will be very, very sick...
I hate to see people live in such fear that they feel compelled to spread that fear irrationally.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 16:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
I hate to see people live in such fear that they feel compelled to spread that fear irrationally.
Get over it. Don't let yourself worry over my fears.

It's perfectly rational. Before you dismiss the dangers of cross connection of sewage and drinking water, do some research. Check some building codes. Be sure you know what you're talking about. If you are telling people to ignore the dangers you are putting them at risk. Be sure you know what you're talking about
Old 25-08-2014, 16:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
yes, I went a little crazy I got that and a Purasan too.
I would like to have that but I have a very small head compartment. Someone suggested that I could put one in and just leave the door open when sitting on it but that's not really my style.
Old 26-08-2014, 08:49   #25

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I would like to have that but I have a very small head compartment. Someone suggested that I could put one in and just leave the door open when sitting on it but that's not really my style.
The Raritan Marine Elegance is a wonderful head and very compact.

So compact, in fact, that I was easily able to install it -- in the fresh-water flush version -- in my little but chubby 19' Menger catboat. I know this sounds like ridiculous overkill on a boat normally equipped with a Porta-Potty, but it is working out wonderfully for my wife and I for coastal cruising. The installation, including a 14-gallon holding tank and 6-gallon fresh water tank (separate from the potable water) cost very little cabin space, mostly using otherwise nearly unusable space and the space previously reserved for the Porta-Potty (which was extremely difficult for me to use).

The Marine Elegance uses just .6 liters of water per flush in the "water saver" mode, which was the major factor for us in choosing it over a manual head... makes the 14-gallon holding tank go a long way!

We've only had it installed for a year, so I can't comment on the reliability beyond this experience, but so far it has been dead reliable, super easy for guests to use without a major briefing, quiet, and extremely efficient in terms of both liquid and battery consumption. This has been one rare case where the added complication to the boat's systems has been definitely worth it. And it saves my back from having to haul a Porta-Potty up 28 steep steps from the dock at home.

While I suspect it might be safe to connect it to the potable water supply, I haven't been that brave.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 10:22   #26

Boat: soon to start catamaran

I've had 4 Jabsco electric in my lagoon,no problems at all in 5 years other than noise.I only used fresh water and there was no smell in the boat.I believe jabsco has its own pumps getting water from tanks.This summer every time we open the taps,water smells sxxt,I could never explained until this thread opened my eyes.I would probably build dedicated fresh water tanks on my next project
koza50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 10:45   #27

When it comes to contamination of the fresh water supply, look at how your toilet at home is plumbed. It runs the water into a tank that then is dumped into the bowl, for a reason.