Well, not really flooding but there was about 8 gallons of water
in the bilge
. I know because I bailed it with a bucket, way faster than the manual pump. Making it seem like a big deal was the bilge pump
blowing off the discharge hose and turning the bilge
into a whirlpool. Loud and wet.
I replaced the bilge pump
and float switch - been on my list all summer long anyway. While there, replaced the discharge hose since it was hard as a rock, probably a contributor to blowing off the hose. Put in a new wiring
terminal also since it was a little corroded. So all good there now.
The question remains, where did that water
come from? Fresh water system is holding pressure and pump not running. Now that I bailed it all out, there's no more coming in, staying dry, so can't be a leaking thru hull
or it would keep filling. Rained really hard so I checked the deck
drains since 2 of them have a fitting that runs through a locker inside the boat and they're both dry as they get. The water looked really clear so I don't think it was sea water - the Houston
are sea water looks pretty nasty.
Right now, I'm thinking 2 things happened. My AC unit condensation
drains into the bilge unfortunately. I'm thinking the float switch got jammed up somehow and let condensate run off build up for a day or so. It's so humid here and hot that the AC runs 12 hours a day and can dump a good 6 gallons a day I'm told. Then, once whatever was blocking the switch popped, the pump fired and blew right off the hose.
That's my theory. Once the rain starts, my wife will sit in the boat looking for leaks
while I hose the boat down a section at a time so maybe we'll find something out different.
Anybody else got a better one because a compound issue like that seems a little far fetched but it's all I got right now.