Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2015, 18:26   #1

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Experience with Jabsco Lite Flush Toilet

Anybody out there have any experience with the Jabsco Lite Flush Toilet?

In it's favor (at least on paper) are:
1. Uses little water .6l for urine, 1.2l for solids.
2. Small footprint.
3. light weight.
Old 26-03-2015, 15:24   #2

Re: Experience with Jabsco Lite Flush Toilet

Flush volume is not all you should consider. Do you have a holding tank? If so, calculate the volume of the hose to the holding tank. You should then add this volume of flush water to ANY flush after the flush needed to remove waste from the bowl. This way you might remove all waste from the hoses and reduce the likelihood of odour contamination. This then gets down to how many pumps to perform this. I calculated the volume of the flush pump and divided the hose volume by the pump volume. Rounded up this gives you the minimum number of pumps to do after the bowl is clean. For my system, that's 15 pumps.

Whoever thought that pooping was so arithmetic? (forget the pencil jokes) Still, it's better than the bucket on race boats
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 07:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Anybody out there have any experience with the Jabsco Lite Flush Toilet?

In it's favor (at least on paper) are:
1. Uses little water .6l for urine, 1.2l for solids.
2. Small footprint.
3. light weight.
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!

These toilets are rubbish. I delivered a new cat with 2 jabsco Lites onboard. One lasted 4 weeks and the other a few days longer. Talk about engineered redundancy! The macerator impeller is belt driven and the gear breaks. I've seen cheap chinese toys better constructed.

We repaired both toilets. one lasted only a week. I left the boat 3 weeks later and the other one was still working

Using little water is definately not a benefit, especially if flushing with seawater. Pee combines with seawater to form lime deposits in the toilet and pipes. Because not enough water goes through the unit to flush the pee away lime builds up. I found more lime after a month than you normally see after a year.

Oh, another fun thing; be sure to close the lid when you flush otherwise you breathe atomised urine, faceas and whatever else was in the bowl.

The brochure mentions virtually silent operation. Liars! A machine gun is only a little quieter.

I have used Jabsco "Quiet Flush" toilets extensively with no problems, other than they are not quiet. It is unbelievable that both models come from the same manufacturer.

The last boat I delivered had Vetus which worked very well, and were very quiet. How long they will last I don't know, but they did last the 2 month delivery.

Good luck with your search

Graham
flyingboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 07:50   #4

I forgot, all the above was communicated, somewhat more directly, to the European distributor by the owner.
flyingboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, jabsco, oil