Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 08:38   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Do you Recommend this Head?

Unless you have a problem with pink, I would take it, clean it up and use a Raritan rebuild kit to replace interior parts as needed before installing on your boat. These are well made units and the problems with odor and leaks were probably a bad installation. The repair kits are well under $100, so less than the inferior Jabsco new unit but more importantly the Raritan is less likely to give you future problems. Also, before installing, I would carefully check out my existing plumbing and tank and fix any issues. I think you will find the entire process easier then it sounds.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:52   #17

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Thumbs down Re: Do you Recommend this Head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arecuk View Post
guys,

Im about to install head in my cape dory 28 and I could get this one for free, see picture

what do you think about the design of the pump? Ive heard that it always leaks and thus it stinks all the time! correct?

thanks, tomas
I think I would use that literal piece of crap for an anchor, and I would buy a nice new head that my butt would be un-afraid on. How could you even consider such garbage? The make and model are fine, the toilet is junk!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:40   #18

If near Ft Lauderdale, a couple of blocks south of Lester's dineron St Rd 84 is Raritan.
They have blemished heads sometimes, imperfect shape to bowl or a spot
lacking gloss. 1/2 price.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 13:55   #19

Boat: Endurance 35,

Looks very similar to the Wilcox Critten Winner we have been using for 37 years and would not change for anything. I have found the leather pump cups at pump supply houses and old fashion hardware stores. To stop the usual leak at the packing gland on the pump shaft without having to tighten the nut every week or so I soldered a second packing unit onto the first nut - stops the slight wobble in the shaft as you pump so now only tighten the packings every 3 months of constant live aboard for 2 people. Also installed a marlon ball valve in the inlet line so I no longer have to use the toilets valve.
Clean the whole thing with TSP and paint with Bright Side (seat and cover included) and it will look like new for years.
Nanamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 14:30   #20

For such a dinky boat, just use a Sears portapotty with the detachable tank. Works well when strapped down. Way less problems. We used a big bucket under a toilet seat for old folks, again all strapped down. Simplicity personified. Dumping it after a dump kept odors away. Be sure to keep a cover ready when moving the crap out of the boat.

Oh, forgot. its also legal in all state. The potty your looking at is not legal in many states since it is designed to direct discharge overboard. Yes, I know what your going to say, but thems the rules, logical or not.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 14:36   #21
Marine Service Provider

Looks very similar to the Wilcox Critten Winner we have been using for 37 years and would not change for anything.

It's definitely a PHII...If you look closely you'll see a great deal of difference between it and your W-C Winner...starting with, the PHII is plastic, the Winner is bronze. Leathers have given way to rubber and neoprene...no packing gland in it either. No foot pedal for flush water...and unlike the Winner, made to last only 20-25 years instead of a century.

Do you know how old your Winner is? I've been working on a history of marine toilets. It's generally conceded that W-C made the first piston/cylinder manual toilet, but apparently no one is still alive who knows when or the model name of the first one. The earliest W-C catalog I've been able to locate (the rest were apparently lost when Thetford bought W-C) that includes toilets is 1935 and doesn't include it, but does include the Imperial and Junior, which did come after it. I would swear that the Winner was the OEM toilet on some 1920s Trumpy yachts, so that prob'ly only means that W-C had discontinued it by then. It would be VERY helpful if you know the year of mfr for yours.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 16:06   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
For such a dinky boat, just use a Sears portapotty with the detachable tank. Works well when strapped down. Way less problems. We used a big bucket under a toilet seat for old folks, again all strapped down. Simplicity personified. Dumping it after a dump kept odors away. Be sure to keep a cover ready when moving the crap out of the boat.

Oh, forgot. its also legal in all state. The potty your looking at is not legal in many states since it is designed to direct discharge overboard. Yes, I know what your going to say, but thems the rules, logical or not.
I don't think chucking a bucket of crap overboard is legal.

The toilet in question is designed with a discharge. WHERE that discharge goes is inconsequential to the toilet. There are no toilets designed solely to directly discharge overboard - or to a tank, for that matter. They are only designed to discharge period.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 17:42   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeney View Post
Personally I would through that piece of junk overboard & install a Natures Head compost toilet.No hoses,no tanks,no smell. Its all good.
My vote too. (uh-oh, here we go).
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 17:56   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Your options have been well covered in this thread. I'd like to second Peggie, the bowl at least has value and unless it's cracked you can certainly use it.

The bowl is common to several toilets including the Jabsco. If it was me, I'd replace that Pump and clean up the rest. You might save a few dollars buying a Jabsco pump and base rather than a PHII pump. Not sure about that. I'd have to do the math. The current Jabsco isn't a bad toilet. There are thousands of them out there.

I sell the PHII pump assembly for $200 and the Jabsco pump assembly for $83. To use the Jabsco you'd also need to buy a base and I'd have to look up the price of that.
Toilets, Macerator Pumps & Parts

When you decide what you're going to do, I'd love the chance to provide what ever you need.

Tags
head, men