Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2023, 16:30   #16

Boat: Viksund Goldfish 31 feet
Re: Diesel heater fuel pump placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.K. View Post
In case you have the orange china planar heater, that is what is says in the, instructions, any ways there is an issue with condensation in the exhaust , like I said before mine goes into a much bigger diameter pipe strait up 6feet
Isn't there a muffler with yours?
the small exhaust pipe that came with the unit did not fit this muffler but the flex exhaust you can buy will, so here I used a piece of the bigger pipe and wisted it on the smaller with some effort, in this way you can use that muffler as connection once again use hi heat sillicone gasket mat .
It’s a china heater yes. The brand over here that I bought is Vevor.
Ooohh, right.. The muffler could possibly be used as an adaptor.
That’s a great tip! Thanks
SailorJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:28   #17

Boat: Hullmaster 27

If the muffler you have is the same as the one supplied with my Vevor heater ... it should NOT be installed inside the boat, it is designed for use outside a vehicle ... it is not gas tight, and will allow exhaust to escape.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
If the muffler you have is the same as the one supplied with my Vevor heater ... it should NOT be installed inside the boat, it is designed for use outside a vehicle ... it is not gas tight, and will allow exhaust to escape.

Of course, I'm aware of that.

The exhaust pipe from the old heater is slightly bigger than the one on the new heater. The idea was just to cut off and use 1 inch of the pipe on the muffler and use it as an adapter from the old exhaust pipe to the new.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:24   #19

It is better to have your fuel supply below the heater as if there was ever leak on the heater end you wouldn’t have a siphoning issue. Might not be possible in all situations.
That is what Wallas recommended on my installation last year.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:42   #20

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I had a LOT of issues wit my chinese diesel heater at 1st. went through several pumps, cleaned out the carbon mess etc.. I had Teed my fuel line from the main tank. After I installed the separate fuel tank tank and the supplied, correct fuel line AND angled the fuel pump to 45 degrees all my problems went away.

The video referred to earlier is part of a long series and that guy knows his stuff.

Something I've heard you have to do is run the heater on max to burn stuff out before shutting down. Those heaters actually start and stop on max cycles. I'm running mine at the lowest setting of 1.4 pulses and it works flawlessly. It's been well over a year and no issues.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:25   #21

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Really interesting your comments .I arrived to it seeking how I can take out the bubbles of the diesel fuel line from my tank until the webasto .
I have the problem that the webasto start ,heat and stop this begins to happen after i replace the oil filter and forget to close the line and air going into the system ,
The holes in the feed to the pump is too small the pump is slight over the webasto burn chamber
Any suggestion please .Thanks
Hernan
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Not to mention that ALL of the nuts, bolts etc are mild steel and will corrode quickly.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:38   #23

Indeed .It need a periodic maintenance .
Old 05-05-2023, 12:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by surazo View Post
Really interesting your comments .I arrived to it seeking how I can take out the bubbles of the diesel fuel line from my tank until the webasto .
I have the problem that the webasto start ,heat and stop this begins to happen after i replace the oil filter and forget to close the line and air going into the system ,
The holes in the feed to the pump is too small the pump is slight over the webasto burn chamber
Any suggestion please .Thanks
Hernan
Hi Herman,

Not exactly sure what you mean but I think your problem is in the location of the fuel pump. You want it BELOW the heater. The little pumps they use create tiny air bubbles. If it is below the heater they will rise and are not enough to be a problem. If they are above then they will collect until enough of them are up there and you have air instead of fuel. Mount the pump below the heater at a 45 degree angle with the output to the heater being on the uphill side.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by surazo View Post
Indeed .It need a periodic maintenance .
I haven't done any maintenance at all since I corrected my problems. I am quite happy about that
Old 05-05-2023, 12:54   #26

Thanks Cpt Mike .I will check the difference in elevation between heater and pump .
This is my first time in most of 10 years that I have problems in my webasto for this reason i guess it is well mounted and the problems are bubbles into the hose .
Thanks Cpt
Old 05-05-2023, 23:35   #27

Boat: Beneteau 423

You need to angle the pump upwards at 45 degrees to prevent air bubbles causing pump failure. Forget the muffler, it leaks gasses and is only for outside use and does no muffling anyway.
ColIn Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:37   #28

Thanks for your advice .I will try to correct this issue .
Any concern about the separation between the chamber and pump ?
Thanks
Old 06-05-2023, 07:58   #29

distance between both
Old 06-05-2023, 15:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I had a LOT of issues wit my chinese diesel heater at 1st. went through several pumps, cleaned out the carbon mess etc.. I had Teed my fuel line from the main tank. After I installed the separate fuel tank tank and the supplied, correct fuel line AND angled the fuel pump to 45 degrees all my problems went away.

The video referred to earlier is part of a long series and that guy knows his stuff.

Something I've heard you have to do is run the heater on max to burn stuff out before shutting down. Those heaters actually start and stop on max cycles. I'm running mine at the lowest setting of 1.4 pulses and it works flawlessly. It's been well over a year and no issues.

Hmm.. I'm starting to question if it's worth to take fuel from my main tank.

My main port side tank is 200 liters and pretty deep, so in my original pics it's about 1 meter lift before it's going down into my engine room to the heater and exaust.

I struggle a little bit with language on this, but if the intake in my main tank is above the pump, gravity should basically put the least strain on the pump right?

It would basically be the same or better as having the tank next to it. Like a water tower.

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel pump, heater, men, pump