Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2017, 16:20   #1

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Building a RO Plant

I'm in Aus, and had trouble planning my Reverse Osmosis (RO) plant, suitable sized to be driven by Honda 2000. According to Rich of Third Wave a 1HP sized Motor & HP pump will do it. I'd go for his unit but wrong standard need 50Hz 240V and local fittings.

Thought of ripping apart a small HP water blaster, but thought I'd ask here, how has this been done by others. Where did you get your components from. I'm in Cairns, FNQ.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 16:29   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Building a RO Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
I'm in Aus, and had trouble planning my Reverse Osmosis (RO) plant, suitable sized to be driven by Honda 2000. According to Rich of Third Wave a 1HP sized Motor & HP pump will do it. I'd go for his unit but wrong standard need 50Hz 240V and local fittings.

Thought of ripping apart a small HP water blaster, but thought I'd ask here, how has this been done by others. Where did you get your components from. I'm in Cairns, FNQ.
Rich from CruiseRo can supply 50htz 240 motors for anyone in Aus. Check out the website. Contact him.

http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com...r_Maker_2.html
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 16:59   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Water blaster: No, that's commonly advised but the parts will be brass not bronze and seawater will consume them. They're a short term kludge, and as you might suspect, there's a reason why water blasters are so much less expensive than RO systems, and NO ONE has been able to bring an RO system to market at a similar price.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 21:27   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post

Hey Amigo...
We ship 2-3 water makers to AUS per month, all using the 1.0Hp 50hz 240v motor. So I can tell you DHL freight will run $595.

Just shoot me an email if you want to get a PDF of the manual and if you have any questions.

Cheers
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 22:53   #5

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

hi......I have a watermaker for sale......just over the border in NSW from the Gold coast......is 240 v.....believe a Honda 2000 will run it ....but not start it......needs a 3.5 kw generator .....I am told......was looking at a Stanley....due to its start characteristics....

unit is.....an HRO....Horizon Reverse Osmosis
Seafari 170.....Aqua Mini.....model A222000170

....is current model.....low hours.....and already in a crate....all the spec's are on the web....

Just saying.....may be an alternative
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 01:52   #6

Have a look here:

https://diy-yachts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1117

Couple of guys built their own, and they're in Cairns.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 12:30   #7

Boat: Montevideo 43

There is a company called AC Water in Natal South Africa. Maybe they can tell you where in Aussie you can buy the parts. They supply everything you require for a RO set-up. Use a Karcher hi pressure washer. Select the Karcher that fits with the power you have to supply. They are inexpensive and you can carry a spare. The negative is that you have to turn out 316 pistons which is a simple task. The standard 304 pistons don't last. (Ceramic pistons only come with 3 phase machines) You also should not run the unit for more than half an hour at a time. That way it will last much longer. The RO plant in SA costs about 18 - 20k ( ZAR) complete. If you built and install yourself. I assume that to be about under 2000 Aussie dollar. I have 2 friends that built their own and I was about to start when I stumbled on a Spectra 60 LPH for 3000 AUD.!!!!Brand new.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 12:36   #8

Boat: Montevideo 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Water blaster: No, that's commonly advised but the parts will be brass not bronze and seawater will consume them. They're a short term kludge, and as you might suspect, there's a reason why water blasters are so much less expensive than RO systems, and NO ONE has been able to bring an RO system to market at a similar price.
I removed the pistons and had pistons turned from 316 S/S bar. Easy peasy job.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 13:34   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Here in the Colonies, sometimes it is actually cheaper and simpler to apply for a Papal dispensation than to find a simple machine shop. And you'd get a faster answer, too. FWIW.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 06:20   #10

Boat: Mashford Claris

Yeah I am think of making one using an electric airless pump 2000 psi pressure just have to work out filter system
takeabow40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 07:34   #11

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Building your own you will save about 25% if you do it right. You can save more if you use crappy parts, but you will regret it down the line. there are a lot of parts that you just can't skimp on. The pump is the biggest outlay, but it's amazing how much quality s/s hydraulic fittings cost, probably close to 30% of the total. A watermaker is a wonderful thing and you want to be able to depend on it. You don't want your $300 brass pressure washer pump going out on you in the boonies. I built my own and had a blast doing it, but I would only recommend it if you have a lot of spare time and enjoy tinkering. I spent months online just sourcing the right parts.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is online now   Reply With Quote