Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 14:17   #1

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Stuffing Box Wrenches

The stuffing box in my boat is nearly inaccessible, the normal condition of most critical parts on a sailboat. Does anyone have a suggestion on a set of opposing wrenches that are small enough to get in a space that is way too small to swing or even set pipe wrenches? Am thinking of making two narrow, offset wrenches but someone must manufacture something like this for sailboats. Plenty of boats were built with the box buried in a dark, narrow tunnel and there must be just the right tool to get at it "easily". If anyone has found the perfect tool, would appreciate hearing about it.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 14:22   #2

Boat: Moody 42
How about stuffing box wrenches?
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 14:26   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Stuffing box wrenches

Can't you make some out of, say 1/4" aluminium plate?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 14:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Local engineering workshop?

Some of the more established shipwrights or marine mechanics may have a few tools for your sort of job, but they would likely be highly prized and not sold (or lent!) lightly.

Have you considered making a dummy set of wrenches out of (say) plywood or scrap lumber, measuring the distance between the faces of all nuts accurately, checking that it will actually do what you want and then taking it to your local engineering workshop. Some plans, diagrams, measurements, photos and notes may not go astray either.

Mine does high quality and very reasonably priced work, though they do seem to expect a bit of a chat about my boat. Modern engineering could be quite a high stress job so a relaxed approach may also be also be part of the deal.

I would not be surprised to find a custom fabrication to be cheaper than a mass produced piece of junk...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 14:41   #5

Don't think regular stuffing box wrenches will fit. Something like offset under-sink wrenches might work. Might try them. As Weyalan suggests, will probably make them from some 1/4-1/2" plate w/ offset handles. Just thought someone may have found a better solution. Not exactly a piece of gear you want to have a hard time with should it start leaking a lot when in west bum#$%&ck.
Old 21-03-2011, 15:06   #6
Eternal Member

You probably don't need two wrenches. One will do.

I have the same setup....nearly inaccessible. I have one wrench with an offset handle made from 1/4" aluminum.

Here's the trick: loosen the REAR nut first. Then, back it off quite a ways by hand, adjust the front nut using the wrench, then screw up the back nut and tighten it with the wrench.

Watch your knuckles :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 15:15   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Sounds like you probably can't get it in there, but I have a pair of vice grips that are designed with a very large jaw that is somewhat rounded and yet they have rather slim tips on the jaws. I can clamp that around one of the nuts while using a typical slim flat metal stern gland wrench on the other nut. The vise grips go on the nut that is closest to the stern and hangs down in the fiberglass trough the shaft goes through, which on my boat is pretty deep.
Old 21-03-2011, 15:16   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

are you implying your stuffing box has not been adjusted since 1967
Old 21-03-2011, 16:20   #9

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

You might try looking at McMaster-Carr on line...look up "pump wrenches". They are very slender and have an offset handle with the usually wide jaw opening that is neccessary for stuffing box work.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 16:43   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Strap or chain wrench?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 20:18   #11

I had a couple made after nothing else worked. Fairly cheap. Still awkward though as you need two hands but can only get one in so have to wedge the other spanner. Not sure about doing one at a time but the locknut seems to need less pressure to me. A real pain as can require a fairly fine adjustment so sometimes need several shots. I think someone makes something but not available here. Mine from memory were 2" nuts so only about 1/2" either side.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 22:19   #12

Oops probably four inch.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 04:15   #13

I made a pair using some scrap g10 fiberglass board and they fit the tiny space around the vdrive. Formerly, I had to use a very long screwdriver and hammer strike to break the box loose. But g10 is expensive and metal plate would be cheaper if you don't already have some around.

photo link
Pearson323_repower_17 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
danhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 05:08   #14

Boat: Heritage 35

Had a pair made up at a fab shop about $20.00 for a pair. 2 different sized nuts One handle shorter than the other once lock nut loose can usually just use hand to tighten.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 05:17   #15

Great responses guys, thank You! Maybe actually grinding down a pair of large vice grips would work. This would allow one-handed access and prevent wrenches from falling into the abyss. Don't need a lot of torque, just a sure grip. The shaft log dripped more than normal all summer last year. Didn't want to even screw with it while in the water because anything breaking in there would be a haul-it-out-quick fire drill. Was able to loosen it when hauled to repack (after soaking w/ Liquid Wrench) but didn't feel confident that I got it really tight. Would never use anything but two opposing wrenches for any situation like this to avoid turning the wrong side, doing damage to the "hose" section. This would be a real disaster, necessitating pulling the shaft to install a new one. The packing box unit is in good shape. It was replaced when the engine was replaced with a Yanmar but shortly thereafter, sat for years in a boatyard. The engine had < 100 hours on it when I got it. The log nuts were probably in the same place they were in the late 80s when the engine was swapped, hence pretty well locked in place.