Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 22:16   #1

Boat: herreshoff/mobjack ketch 45ft
Paragon Gear Box P33l

hey guys maybe someone could shed some light on me gear shifting problem.i have forward but no reverse.when i shift to reverse the shaft spins but as i increase engine revs she does not respond.real bad slippage aye.our vessel is a yacht ,the motor is a ford series E2400 4 cyclinder diesel.i checked the dip stick,its about 3mm 1/8 maybe low on the mark.thanks for any input
kiwi rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:36   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: paragon gear box p33l

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rob View Post
when i shift to reverse the shaft spins but as i increase engine revs she does not
Are you saying the prop shaft spins? If thats the case and you have forward but little reverse, the only thing I can think of is your bottom and prop is so packed with growth, it will not be able to produce thrust.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09   #3

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
hey guys maybe someone could shed some light on me gear shifting problem.i have forward but no reverse.when i shift to reverse the shaft spins but as i increase engine revs she does not respond.real bad slippage aye.our vessel is a yacht ,the motor is a ford series E2400 4 cyclinder diesel.i checked the dip stick,its about 3mm 1/8 maybe low on the mark.thanks for any input
Your transmission most likely has a brake band for reverse. It is a simple matter to adjust it. There should be a screw under an acorn nut somewhere on the side of the box. Remove the cover nut to expose the screw and its' lock nut. With the transmission in neutral turn the screw in til the transmission rolls over then back off 1/2 turn and you are done.

The manual for your transmission should be available on line.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Your transmission most likely has a brake band for reverse. It is a simple matter to adjust it. There should be a screw under an acorn nut somewhere on the side of the box. Remove the cover nut to expose the screw and its' lock nut. With the transmission in neutral turn the screw in til the transmission rolls over then back off 1/2 turn and you are done.

The manual for your transmission should be available on line.

Ya but, this is what I don't get...he said that the shaft was spinning!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 08-01-2012, 19:43   #5

Boat: herreshoff/mobjack ketch 45ft

Thanks Perchance-you've given me something to go on.

Celestial Sailor-nah mate I've got a clean prop. When I shift from neutral to reverse the shaft slowly spins in reverse but does not increase in revs regardless of how much engine acceleration I give it.
kiwi rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 20:40   #6

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'
Ahoy,
I had the Paragon P45'S bolted up behind Ford 427's and my starboard engine would have the same problem from time to time. There is a brake band around the planetary drum that engages reverse and causes that aweful whining sound when the gears inside start rotating against the drum housing to produce reverse rotation.

The brake band is engaged by a plunger in the control housing. This plunger has a rubber O-Ring on it that likes to pop off if you power hard in reverse. It is easy to replace by removing the control assembly cover. If I remember correctly, there are 6 or 8 screws holding the cover on.

I kept spare O-Rings onboard but switched to diesel with velvet drives a few years back. In the US,Transmissions Marine Inc can get you just about any part for the P series Paragon transmissions. I rebuilt one myself about 8 years back and they are pretty simple to work on. Ran that tranny for years without problems.

Later,
NJ
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 21:06   #7

Quote:
Thanks Perchance-you've given me something to go on.

Celestial Sailor-nah mate I've got a clean prop. When I shift from neutral to reverse the shaft slowly spins in reverse but does not increase in revs regardless of how much engine acceleration I give it.
Thank you for the clarification. Yes...if the shaft ONLY spins slow with any range of RPM, then it is probably internal as Neptune has described.
Old 06-04-2023, 13:41   #8

Hi, I have a Perkins 4.107M Westerbeck with a Paragon P33 V drive and reverse engages properly, but does not accelerate...engine bogs down, propeller stops and engine shuts down...I have been playing with the reverse adjustment screw without results...HELPLEASE
Rodolfo Basail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 05:47   #9

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolfo Basail View Post
Paragon P33 V drive and reverse engages properly, but does not accelerate...engine bogs down, propeller stops and engine shuts down
FWD gear is engaged by pressurized oil pushing against a large piston that compresses the FWD clutch discs. Reverse is engaged by hydraulic pressure pulling a reversing band tightly around the rotating gear case.

IF this happens a the same time, you will engage both FWD and reverse and this will lock up the transmission and kill the engine. As this is only happening in Reverse, you can surmise that the reverse is Okay and that the FWD clutch discs are either not releasing completely or that the oil pressure to the FWD discs is not being relieved.

Does the prop shaft turn in the FWD direction when you are in neutral?

If it does and cannot be stopped with pressure applied to the shaft, this indicates that the FWD discs are not releasing properly. Either mechanically or hydraulically.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 08:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNC View Post
FWD gear is engaged by pressurized oil pushing against a large piston that compresses the FWD clutch discs. Reverse is engaged by hydraulic pressure pulling a reversing band tightly around the rotating gear case.

IF this happens a the same time, you will engage both FWD and reverse and this will lock up the transmission and kill the engine. As this is only happening in Reverse, you can surmise that the reverse is Okay and that the FWD clutch discs are either not releasing completely or that the oil pressure to the FWD discs is not being relieved.

Does the prop shaft turn in the FWD direction when you are in neutral?

If it does and cannot be stopped with pressure applied to the shaft, this indicates that the FWD discs are not releasing properly. Either mechanically or hydraulically.
Yes thankyou, the prop shaft turns forward in neutral...I will check if it can be stopped by hand...I will get back to you!

Thanks so much
Old 10-04-2023, 08:31   #11

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolfo Basail View Post
Yes thankyou, the prop shaft turns forward in neutral...I will check if it can be stopped by hand
Don't use your hand.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 17:29   #12

I did used it and while holding it...it easily stops...and then turns again...tomorrow we are going to open it again, there is some axial play in the shaft inside the gear box and we thought of maybe adding a washer to atop the play...

Tags
gear