Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 21:26   #16

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop
Re: How To Remove Coupler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Should the alignment be done before installing the DriveSaver, or should the alignment be done with the DriveSaver in place?
Ideally you want rigid surfaces for alignment, so a rubber spacer could make things a bit too inaccurate. So some people make a hardwood/metal disc to use instead of the soft spacer to use for the alignment.

If you can't/won't do that, I suppose you could slide the shaft forward for the width of the spacer (if its quite narrow), do the alignment, and then slide the shaft back a little to re-fit the spacer. That would obviously lose you some alignment accuracy in the process.

How accurate you want to be depends on your situation/vibration.

Speaking for myself, I'm no longer aiming for 0.003", because when I measure a month later, it will have moved away from that a bit. So after a month it seems I end up with the same result had I aligned only to, say, 0.01".
But that's my choice on my boat and you may benefit from much tighter alignment tolerances.
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:09   #17
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Thanks for the feedback. We may have the shaft shortened to compensate for the DriveSaver. We can then have the alignment done without having the DriveSaver in place. I am still waiting for the marina to remove my cutlass bearing so I can slide the prop shaft past the rudder.
Old 06-01-2014, 18:12   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We may have the shaft shortened to compensate for the DriveSaver. We can then have the alignment done without having the DriveSaver in place. I am still waiting for the marina to remove my cutlass bearing so I can slide the prop shaft past the rudder.
You should definitely do the alignment in the water.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote