Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2009, 11:10   #136

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo View Post
we recommend you and the cost is very fair PropArmor is a new foul release product for propellers and more., we are selling this in panama with very good results from our customers.
What is it? Well the hazardous materials sheet says it is anhydrous lanolin and pepper, etc. Those items will work somewhat unless you are in a southern country where hot sauce is a staple. When you are docked/moored and the not using the prop/engine this will work but also baby butt lotion (zinc oxide) will also work just as well. Baby butt zinc oxide smeared on the prop underwater will inhibit any marine growth but as soon as the propeller start turning it all comes off. Just like all paints and coating come off quickly or shortly when the propeller is pushing the boat through the water. I have need seen or used any prop anti-fouling system that will work unattended for the normal time between bottom paint jobs.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 12:47   #137

What about Prop Glop? Prop Glop
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 10:02   #138

Thumbs up propeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo View Post
we recommend you and the cost is very fair PropArmor is a new foul release product for propellers and more., we are selling this in panama with very good results from our customers.
I have tried the prop armor for the last 7 months on my Grand Banks 36. I was part of a test group(they approached me at a boatyard)and I will use it again. The Prop Speed coating never seemed to last more that 10 months on my boat. Prop Armor is relatively inexpensive, and easy to apply. I am told you can also apply it underwater though I have not tried that.
sailaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 07:54   #139

So what is "Proparmor"? Is it a paint? Is it a creme? Is it a "wax?" What is in it? Zinc Oxide? Copper, wax with pepper in it? Every product must publish a hazardous materials data sheet listing what is in the product for shipping purposes. There is nothing in the website for the product that tells what is in it other than the "How to Use" PDF file which mentions a meltable substance containing a pepper chemical.
- - Is it used to protect the propeller while you are "static/not moving" in a marina/anchorage? Or will it function while the boat and propeller are operating and pushing the boat through the water? Sea water is full of abrasive material that will scour away paint/epoxy and any other material placed on propellers. So what happens to this product when you motor at cruising speed for 24 hours, a couple of days, or more? Is it necessary to reapply the material when you reach your destination and moor/anchor?
Old 30-01-2010, 15:50   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
So what is "Proparmor"? Is it a paint? Is it a creme? Is it a "wax?" What is in it? Zinc Oxide? Copper, wax with pepper in it? Every product must publish a hazardous materials data sheet listing what is in the product for shipping purposes. There is nothing in the website for the product that tells what is in it other than the "How to Use" PDF file which mentions a meltable substance containing a pepper chemical.
- - Is it used to protect the propeller while you are "static/not moving" in a marina/anchorage? Or will it function while the boat and propeller are operating and pushing the boat through the water? Sea water is full of abrasive material that will scour away paint/epoxy and any other material placed on propellers. So what happens to this product when you motor at cruising speed for 24 hours, a couple of days, or more? Is it necessary to reapply the material when you reach your destination and moor/anchor?
I was told it is a lanwax product with capcacian. It was a waxy substance, but pretty hard. The men who put it on heated up my prop with a heat gun until it was pretty warm, then applied the product. The product had been heated to a liquid form. As the product cooled it became thicker and they put on a second thicker coat. They told me this worked best.
I have operated my boat approximently 1,000NM since application, with alot of time in the marina. I had a few barnicles on, but they came off easily. I like the product, it seems to work. Certainly better than the expensive propspeed I used in the past. Happy sailing!
sailaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 05:55   #141

Well, maybe it will work for me. I know that the paints and epoxy coating all peel off as they seem to be more strongly attached to themselves then to the metal propeller. Maybe the wax - although a lot will wear away - will embed itself into the millions of pits and pores of the prop and "hide" there and deny the barnacles, etc. from a place to grab on to.
Old 24-02-2010, 04:22   #142

Boat: Seabird Kayak :)
We had a good dose of barnacles attaching to the prop this summer (in Oz). For 18mths we had little growth since slipping when we 2 pack painted the prop with 4 coats and then used antifoul (Altex #5), but once the barnacles did take hold, that was it, they grew like wildfire. Last week we went cruising and found the barnacles had taken hold again on mass after only 2.5 weeks since full removal. So we cleaned it again, and I rubbed lanotec grease on it underwater and it seems to have stayed on even after about 6 hrs running. We will also use teh garbage bag trick over the prop to slow growth between visits to the boat.

At the slips next time, we will try the egg whites (got our own free range chooks).

PS: Chook = Aussie slang term for chicken.
Old 15-03-2010, 18:19   #143

Boat: Sceptre 36
I have heard many opinions. My prop was a ball of barnacles despite regular use. A diver cleaned it in August and it was just hauled and re-launched today (complete with barnacle ball again). Put a zinc cream on it. Will let you know if any benefit.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 19:27   #144

I used a thing called Prop-Shield two years ago. It seems to be very similar to prop-armor. You heat it to apply and use two coats. It's lanolin based with some mystery ingredients at least one of which is red.

It did seem to work better than most of the dozen or so things I've tried. Definitely better than magic marker but maybe I haven't tried the right color

Unfortunately, I didn't apply the Prop Shied again last year (forgot) so my test isn't very good. I also got a lot of barnacles.

I applied it myself according to the directions but I didn't like the idea of using a heat gun on my props so I set up two heat lamps for an hour pointing at the prop to warm it.

Here's the site. I've got enough left over in the tub to try again this year.

Prop-Shield-USA.com - Welcome to the online store & guide to PROPSHIELD Antifouling Grease

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 21:16   #145

Boat: Seabird Kayak :)
Zinc cream - at least the prop will not get sun damaged when we invert

So, the formula is developing: Lanotec, with zinc oxide and egg white. It needs a name, how about "Pavloproptec", should be produced in Oz seen we invented the Pavlova and have plenty of sheep, and zinc cream is an institution that goes a long way back.
Old 24-03-2010, 22:35   #146

PropArmor

I am new to this site, it sure has alot of good advice.
I have tried Proparmor, bought some in Ft Lauderdale from one of the guys who started it up when I was hauled out before coming south. I followed his instructions and I must say after 9 months now it is still working very well. I too have tried many methods(creames, pens, etc.) without to much success. For the extra $ this was worth it.
windwardbound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:13   #147

Boat: modified john pugh, 15.9mt,Defiance1
propspeed

Hey Guy's

I really recommend prop speed.
i was the first mate on a 32m super yacht a few years back we also had 2 34 foot game boats. All the boats used prop speed after 12 months and 10 000 nm the props were still like new with only some feathering on the tips off the blades on the big boat.
The game boats didn't get a lot of use and were in the same condition at the haul out.
The key to prop speed is in the yellow etch primer it needs to go on so it is even and a solid colour most people who have had trouble with it would not of put the etch on properly as i have seen it so many time.

I now use it on my own boat with the same success.
driftrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:36   #148

Boat: gozzard 44
I applied HawkSpeed a couple months ago and a recent dive showed it's adhering well with small barnacles wiping off easily.
It's similar to PropSpeed with the difference being the longer time allowed between the etch coat and topcoat applications making it easier to apply.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 21:17   #149

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1 View Post
Tried the Majic Marker trick. It Don't Work! Of course I used black not Pink.
So did I. Here's the result on my Gori folder after 8 months of inactivity in the PNW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat bottom work 2010 007.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	16730  

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 15:40   #150

Boat: Cavalier 32 Cavaletti
Hi guys,

Ive tried loads. The copper plating shows no improvement on bare bronze. Tin plating also does not work. The felt pen (I used black) does not work. I found propspeed had quite a few barnacles after a couple of months. Lanolin grease wears off pretty quick. I am back to using hard antifoul for the last couple of years it seems to work as well as propspeed but it is hard getting it to stay on. Have tried various primers. Any Ideas?
Doug
Cavaletti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling