Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 19:25   #31

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Alternatives to propspeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknor51 View Post
After using the Velox Plus which gave an exceedingly poor result I have bitten the bullet and reverted to Propspeed. It is the the only thing thing that works in our water conditions on Lake Macquarie, NSW. A friend also used Velox Plus on his prop and was similarly unimpressed. He’s a Propspeed man now also.
Have also used another product in the past called PellerClean. That wasn’t much chop either.
I still haven’t tried sex with the prop yet, too dodgy for my liking.
A clean prop is a good prop, a barnacled one just isn’t!!
Wise man indeed. I tried the wax alternative, better than nothing, for a very short while then very regular hand cleaning of the prop.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 20:02   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I still haven’t tried sex with the prop yet
When you do, be sure that you and the prop understand each other... right hand or left hand screw? Failure to do so can result in severe cross threading!

Jim
Old 12-02-2019, 03:44   #33

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
When you do, be sure that you and the prop understand each other... right hand or left hand screw? Failure to do so can result in severe cross threading!

Jim
No worries there Jim I’m not likely to ever get luvvy duvvy with the prop it’s far to cutting for my tender sensibilities no matter which way you screw it!
Old 12-02-2019, 04:03   #34

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
I've not known anyone that has had much success with PropSpeed, including myself. We had a "certified" yard apply it and most of it pealed and the rest fouled. It took me forever to get a refund from the manufacturer and got nothing from the yard. Chuck

I’ve had it applied twice. The first time it lasted for over two years and never got any fouling on it at all. The second time it was applied by the same guy (and I watched him do it) and most of it peeled right off with months. I think the freshness of one or more of the components is important.
Old 13-11-2019, 13:33   #35

Boat: O'Day 34

Our boat is in a marina adjacent to the community sewage plant outfall where the Marine growth is very bad. Barnacle Buster grew barnacles in 4 weeks while my personally applied PropSpeed was in the water for 7 months over the summer with no growth on the prop but something that appears to be calcium deposits are on the prop nut.
The clear coat on the PS is rough on the back side of the prop but looks like new on the front side. I’m thinking of cleaning up the surface with diluted muriatic acid, roughing it up some, and recoating it with some PS clear coat.
Has anyone tried this?
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 14:16   #36

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I roll my own. Here's my recipe.

Ingredients: Epoxy thinner, a cheap tube of clear silicone, the type that doesn't have the vinegar smell, small can of etch primer.

Clean your propeller with very fine sandpaper or emery paper.

Place silicone in a jar or other container, add epoxy thinners and stir. After a while the silicone will start melting into the epoxy thinner. You want a mixture like thick paint that applies easily.

Paint the propeller with etch primer.

Now the critical step - before the etch primer dries, and it dries quickly, you need to paint the prop with your silicone. You need the etch primer to still be wet and tacky because then the silicone and primer will bond. If you let the primer dry before you paint the silicone it won't work, or only partially work.

Works as well as any commercial product.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 14:55   #37

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
I roll my own. Here's my recipe.

Ingredients: Epoxy thinner, a cheap tube of clear silicone, the type that doesn't have the vinegar smell, small can of etch primer.

Clean your propeller with very fine sandpaper or emery paper.

Place silicone in a jar or other container, add epoxy thinners and stir. After a while the silicone will start melting into the epoxy thinner. You want a mixture like thick paint that applies easily.

Paint the propeller with etch primer.

Now the critical step - before the etch primer dries, and it dries quickly, you need to paint the prop with your silicone. You need the etch primer to still be wet and tacky because then the silicone and primer will bond. If you let the primer dry before you paint the silicone it won't work, or only partially work.

Works as well as any commercial product.
Sounds interesting, any specifics on the exact silicone and amounts to use?
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 15:15   #38

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Sounds interesting, any specifics on the exact silicone and amounts to use?
There are two basic types of clear silicone sold at home repair stores, the type with acetic acid (vinegar odor) and the type with out. You want the type with out acetic acid. Brand is not important but Dow did invent the stuff I believe.

I use a clear jar to mix, shake actually and I strive for a super saturated solution meaning there's excess silicone in the jar than the solvent can dissolve. I use a 32oz mason jar, one complete tube of silicone and fill about 3/4 full with lacquer/epoxy thinner. when most of the silicone is dissolved I add a bit more thinner but just enough so that a little bit of silicone remains undissolved.

In earlier posts people mentioned that second applications of Propspeed may fail by not adhering to the prop. Remember this is silicone and if you don't fastidiously remove the first coat, subsequent applications may not adhere.

I've used this on Nibral props and Kiwiprops, works well on both.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 15:43   #39
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
Hi all,

I'm wanting to paint my prop with propspeed in Sydney Australia however it can not be bought over the counter here.

It got me wondering if anyone has found a cheap alternative, perhaps something silicone based, that works well that is less expensive and can be bought over the counter and applied by oneself.

Anyone?
For anyone still reading this historic thread, propspeed is available retail in Australia now (November 2019).

Plenty on eBay and also here https://marinetradesupplies.com.au/p...eed-200ml-kit/
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 16:04   #40

On the recommendation of an internet source I now can’t remember, I tried Panaten diaper rash ointment. (It sticks like sh!!t). Apply liberally to the prop and shaft. Results were not nearly as good as Propspeed, but was cheaper and I never had to worry about the prop getting a painful rash 😁
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 05:09   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
I'm in the rustoleum zinc spray paint camp. Current coat is about 2 yrs old. Still clean. We've been in the Bahamas the last couple months and i really didn't expect such good results. Be sure to put several (5-8) thin coats on.
Hi Paperboard,
Did you etch prime first or do any other prep before the zinc spray?
gruffa is offline   Reply With Quote