Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2017, 01:39   #1

Radio license - which one?

I don't have any radio certifications yet and looking for the right one, that I won't need to upgrade while climbing the RYA ladder. Does the RYA accept other certifications (e.g. the German "Allgemeines Funkbetriebszeugnis Long Range Certificate")?

Asking for this german license specifically because t acceptance of the RYA SRC in German waters is (might become in the future...) fishy, and I'd need an LRC on the long term anyway.
Old 28-08-2017, 02:32   #2

Re: Radio license - which one?

Possession of the SRC is not bound by nationality but outside Europe it is prudent to inquire with the local authority if the RYA SRC is accepted. (I have not heard from any exception yet),

The RYA may accept other licenses but from personal experience it is strictly on a case by case bases , you would need to visit a local RYA training center or contact them on line

The Short Range Certificate is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on any British flagged vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This includes both fixed and hand held equipment using International channels.

The SRC course can be taken in the classroom or online with an RYA recognized training center.

The next step is to A GMDSS qualification for operators of MF/HF (SSB) and VHF equipment. It is an internationally recognized qualification.These are obtained through various international training centers around the world

Cheers Steve (IIMS)
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 04:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The Germans recognize the certifications of the operator's country of citizenship (the ship license has to come from the flag state). I sail a UK flag vessel and have been checked numerous times by the German Coast Guard, and they never had any problem with my U.S. FCC radio license (equivalent to SR and LR certificates and granted without any exam at all).

BREXIT should't make the slightest difference.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 04:21   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Possession of the SRC is not bound by nationality but outside Europe it is prudent to inquire with the local authority if the RYA SRC is accepted. (I have not heard from any exception yet),

The RYA may accept other licenses but from personal experience it is strictly on a case by case bases , you would need to visit a local RYA training center or contact them on line

The Short Range Certificate is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on any British flagged vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This includes both fixed and hand held equipment using International channels.

The SRC course can be taken in the classroom or online with an RYA recognized training center.

The next step is to A GMDSS qualification for operators of MF/HF (SSB) and VHF equipment. It is an internationally recognized qualification.These are obtained through various international training centers around the world

Cheers Steve (IIMS)
UK authorities also accept operator licenses of the operator's state of citizenship, even on a UK flagged vessel.

Drifting the thread a bit -- if you want to operate a ham radio, though, the rules are different -- there are fairly complicated rules of reciprocity. For full rights in CEPT countries (which includes the UK and Germany), you need to have the U.S. Extra Class amateur radio license. The General Class license is recognized only with very limited privileges.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 28-08-2017, 07:46   #5

Thank you for both, I think I'll take the RYA online course for starters, quick and simple...
Old 28-08-2017, 09:59   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The Germans recognize the certifications of the operator's country of citizenship (the ship license has to come from the flag state). I sail a UK flag vessel and have been checked numerous times by the German Coast Guard, and they never had any problem with my U.S. FCC radio license (equivalent to SR and LR certificates and granted without any exam at all).

That would be my WAG. It probably follows the flagged nations requirements.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 11:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Again Dockhead has it spot on. What a guy, the most knowledgeable on this forum I
think.

Get a US FCC Restricted Radio Telephone Operator Permit good for worldwide for VHF, UHF and HF-SSB communications. They are free, no exam and I think they hand them out to anyone who applies. The title “Restricted” is misleading they are good for just about everything except commercial operations. FCC Form 753 (May be old form number, mine was issued in 1965.)

No operator licenses are required anymore for US domestic only, non-commercial operations for either maritime or aviation. Ground facility, aircraft and vessel station licenses may still be required for some types of equipment.

A US Ham operator on land or on a US flag vessel requires testing and licensing. I assume it’s the same in other countries as well.

US masters and crew operating radios (except Ham) on US flag commercial vessels (domestic or international) requires a Marine Radio Operator Permit (FCC 605-FRC). (Not good for Ham) I assume other countries have similar requirements.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 17:19   #8

Boat: Still not big enough..!!!

Some very excellent replies..! World wide Radio Operator Licenses are International Zone dependent, based on treaties going back to 1934 (no kidding!). Some countries lump on extra restrictions at times including absolutely no transmissions. Make sure you realize those when sailing those waters. Requirements shift with time, so be sure any material you refer to is up to date. For the USA, the FCC rules control all transmissions, and they publish the latest FCC Reg's on the Internet. Also there are publisher printed documents readily & inexpensively available. No matter all these details, HAM (radio amateur) or Radiotelephone Operator (the commercial licensure in USA), anywhere all over the world you can ALWAYS transmit an any available radio frequency to call MAYDAY...even if un-licensed. Make sure those boaters out on the water with you realize that, it could save lives. Of course transmitting on frequencies used expressly for especially safety-of-life like medical, fire, ambulance and aviation, and, certain USCG radio channels..... is NOT a great idea. BUT..... if it came down to it, in the end, if about to die I would not hesitate to transmit in the most extreme of circumstances on any available radio. Sincerely, all that said, contact your nearest USCG approved boating safety course outlets, mostly run by enthusiastic volunteers with a wealth of 'current' information on not only commercial, but probably HAM radio usage at sea. The FCC website is also well designed. Non-commercial non-profit ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) is also a great source of fine & current information, especially for worldwide HAM use....and territorial treaty restrictions. While it is an awful lot of stuff to wrap your arms around at first, just keep poking at it and it will eventually all come together for you..!! Today's Internet is a tremendous research venue BTW. (From an Extra Class HAM/VE, and, long time holder of FCC commercial licenses dating back to 1970...)
bluewatervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 18:23   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

Interesting, Ive never had my lisence (USA) checked anywhere in the USA or Carib.

What other countries actually check?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:02   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Interesting, Ive never had my lisence (USA) checked anywhere in the USA or Carib.

What other countries actually check?
In Europe, any and all documents might be checked anywhere and at any time. Or not.

I could give you a list of countries whose waters I've sailed through and which ones checked what and which ones didn't, but it would be meaningless. I believe its more random chance than any system. I think ALL European countries have a few officious bureaucrats looking for some excuse to give you a hard time, and it's probably just the luck of the draw whether you run into one or not.

The best policy is to be prepared with all your "papers in order" -- with every scrap of paper you are formally required or may be required to have -- so you don't have to worry about it.

It's also good policy to have all your bits of paper nicely organized in an indexed folder. In my experience, many inspections end the very moment the official catches sight of the thick and nicely organized folder -- just because he knows that he's not as likely to find something wrong in such a pretty pack, as he is in random scraps of paper dug out from the nav table.

And lastly -- have an official ship's stamp to put on your crew lists and so forth. The fetish for stamps lives on in very many countries -- if it has a stamp, it's oh my God a DOCUMENT.

The Russians like to say -- "Bez bumazhki ty kakashka, a s bumazhkoi -- chelovek!" -- "Without a document, you're just a piece of crap, but WITH a document -- a person!" A very European mind set.
Walt Whitman
Old 30-08-2017, 12:00   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In the US, there is generally no authority, no organization, on land or at sea, with the mandate to "check" for FCC radio licenses or any sort. So none of them waste their time, when they cannot generate any revenue from issuing fines for something they are not authorized to ask for.

Even the occasional rules for posting a copy of the station (or operator's) license are generally ignored, as there are no "FCC Police" to go around and enforce them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 15:59   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
In Europe, any and all documents might be checked anywhere and at any time. Or not.

I could give you a list of countries whose waters I've sailed through and which ones checked what and which ones didn't, but it would be meaningless. I believe its more random chance than any system. I think ALL European countries have a few officious bureaucrats looking for some excuse to give you a hard time, and it's probably just the luck of the draw whether you run into one or not.

The best policy is to be prepared with all your "papers in order" -- with every scrap of paper you are formally required or may be required to have -- so you don't have to worry about it.

It's also good policy to have all your bits of paper nicely organized in an indexed folder. In my experience, many inspections end the very moment the official catches sight of the thick and nicely organized folder -- just because he knows that he's not as likely to find something wrong in such a pretty pack, as he is in random scraps of paper dug out from the nav table.

And lastly -- have an official ship's stamp to put on your crew lists and so forth. The fetish for stamps lives on in very many countries -- if it has a stamp, it's oh my God a DOCUMENT.

The Russians like to say -- "Bez bumazhki ty kakashka, a s bumazhkoi -- chelovek!" -- "Without a document, you're just a piece of crap, but WITH a document -- a person!" A very European mind set.
Agree, all my ships papers go in a nice waterproof folio.

And boy do Central American officials love stamps!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, radio