Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2018, 10:20   #106
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Does anyone get the FCC license?

Bill-
"the boarding officer" was an agent of what agency?
AFAIK there are no agencies that have the general ability to enforce all federal code, including the FCC regulations. Odd as it may seem. At least, the FCC seems to think that the only enforcement agencies that can touch licensed radios are their own personnel.
This goes back to the Communications Act of 1934 (?) which gives the FCC the sole and exclusive right to regulate "radios" and such.
Wouldn't be the first time some petty bully tried to claim more power than they really had.
Our radio rules are, yes, another peculiarity to the US.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 15:00   #107

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Bill-
"the boarding officer" was an agent of what agency?
AFAIK there are no agencies that have the general ability to enforce all federal code, including the FCC regulations. Odd as it may seem. At least, the FCC seems to think that the only enforcement agencies that can touch licensed radios are their own personnel.
This goes back to the Communications Act of 1934 (?) which gives the FCC the sole and exclusive right to regulate "radios" and such.
Wouldn't be the first time some petty bully tried to claim more power than they really had.
Our radio rules are, yes, another peculiarity to the US.
It was one of the two CBP uniformed officers who came to the Charleston City Marina to clear us into the US. I do not make it a habit to call any officer, uniformed or not, a petty bully. I think that sort of attitude causes more problems than it solves. I suspect that they are perfectly capable of arresting me, holding me, and turning the case over to the FCC or to the local United States District Attorney for prosecution. But, I don't want to find out.

Bill Murdoch
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 15:53   #108
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bill-
I wouldn't argue the point with them, but very frankly the military and every major police force have psychiatric exams, and one of their hardest jobs is actually screening out the petty bullies and thugs who want to join up and get a uniform so they can push people around. That's part of the intake vetting, and they are quite frank about the vetting not working all the time.

CIA, FBI, any major "enforcement" agency too.

So when someone who has the power to arrest you starts asking questions that are none of his business and out of his realm? Yeah, I question what's going on.

Whether you were a US citizen coming home, or a North Korean superspy attempting to penetrate the border, there is absolutely no requirement that you have an operator's license for ANY type of radio transmitter or receiver. Not unless you are operating at, or attempting to operate it. We both know that, I think.

The guy might as well be asking whether you voted in the last election and who you voted for. And that's also none of his business, and something a legitimate party should not be asking you.

If the wheels don't squeak and the little folks don't complain about the petty tyrants, that's how facism eventually gets condoned and established.

The ones who are actually doing their jobs? Have a sense of humor, and don't go into things that are none of their business. I try to leave those with a smile on their faces, because it isn't a highly paid real fun job.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 06:39   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 410

A marine radio operators license is required if you bareboat charter in the Mediterranean along with a sailing license. NauticEd provides an inexpensive and quick way to achieve these requirements (disclosure I am the Director of Education for NauticEd - not trying to advertise but rather giving information about licensing for VHF. If you don't have a VHF/DSC license when chartering in the Med you might be forced to hire a captain at the last minute.)
grantheadifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 07:01   #110
O32

Boat: Ontario 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Likely cause Decades ago a Pilot was no longer required to have one, nor the aircraft its radio station license.
One thing I was told recently by a pilot, was that he needed a different operators licence for marine use. He went at got one even although he already had the aviation licence.

Regarding station licenses, Canadians do not need to have them. However, they needed them when travelling in USA. Seems from the changes in the US regulations that that is no longer the case. No station licence required. Maybe Canada will or has reciprocated? It would make sense to make it legal for those of us on both sides of border to communicate more easily using VHF.
O32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 07:15   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantheadifen View Post
A marine radio operators license is required if you bareboat charter in the Mediterranean along with a sailing license. NauticEd provides an inexpensive and quick way to achieve these requirements (disclosure I am the Director of Education for NauticEd - not trying to advertise but rather giving information about licensing for VHF. If you don't have a VHF/DSC license when chartering in the Med you might be forced to hire a captain at the last minute.)
I just got one this year, because I chartered in Croatia and they (all the charter companies) make it quite clear that you need one. Three years ago , I chartered in Greece with Sunsail and they did not require one. I had to pay the FCC $210 for the license. When you say you make it inexpensive, what do you mean?
Q. Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 08:30   #112

Boat: Bayfield 40

We did. Got them even before moving aboard just b/c we heard it was required. Never been asked about it tho.
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 09:36   #113

Boat: Bavaria 36'

In the UK VHF licences are required and are issued by the Royal Yachting Association on behalf of the Government. I know because I teach the one day course, which is independently tested afterwards. Whilst this information is generally of little interest to US based forum members, I am surprised by the number of people who do the course and have been sailing for years, and using radios, who say something like: "Wow, I have learned a lot today, which I can certainly use." So the course covers radio procedures, Mayday, EPIRB, SART, Navtex, and I also cover AIS although it in not formally part of the course.

At the end of the day we can all learn, all the time.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 10:04   #114

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I got it so I could communicate in Canada and Mexico... I think it's made registering my VHF Radios, EPIRB, Garmin Explorer, and AIS easier. Plus it looks cool on my Boat Card.
Old 14-09-2018, 11:48   #115

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Crealock 37

We have an FCC Station License on our boat because we travel internationally and have an SSB marine band radio as well as VHF. I am not aware of any cruisers who do not have a Station License.
New Orleans, LA
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 12:40   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater

"Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Radio License Information
An FCC ship station radio license is no longer required for any vessel travelling in U.S. waters which uses a VHF marine radio, radar or EPIRB, and which is not required to carry radio equipment. A license is necessary however for any vessel required to carry a marine radio, on an international voyage, or carrying an HF single sideband radiotelephone or marine satellite terminal."

Never heard of anyone doing this. Does anyone?
Madwad-
I have read your question three times and the answer is-- a properly equipped US registered vessel traveling international voyages is required to meet the regulations of the United States in question to the equipment. The word "required" is particular in some equipment but in your question not important. The Satellite phone also falls under required licensing.

To explain to you further as many have attempted to do previously-

The vessel license is a registration to your call sign- which in today's environment also includes your MMSI number.
This information- plus all the details of your vessel - is now put on a global data base which permits services including rescue, medical, and identification friend or foe to be available to regulatory bodies worldwide.
Now, all transmissions must be identified at regulated intervals during said communication period, so others can identify the transmitter. This includes further for policing the airwaves to assure language, interference, and other issues are not violated and therefore creating problems for other airwave users.
One example is your TV must identify its call sign every so often to you.
Envision your radio has a bad ground and therefore is creating a terrible feedback- the registered call sign now permits regulatory or others to contact you to correct the issue.
The FCC is simply an airwaves neighborhood watch to be sure all the neighbors of the community are abiding by the rules for noise, bad smells, etc.
One additional regulatory step- the FCC station license is in your name and when you apply responsibility is on you to not only comply but to assure that non-qualified people do not use the radio station.
In final- get snagged in any country with a non-legally licensed radio transmitter and you may find yourself treated as a spy or combatant.
Thats just the rules man.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 14:22   #117

I have one and it is a lifetime license for the radio station on my vessel.
David Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 15:15   #118

Boat: Wellcraft, Sportsman, 27’

Sorry this is lengthy but trying to clear up so misconceptions.

So the original question was: Does anyone get the FCC license?

Simple answer, YES.
Guessing WHY NOT would be an additional question plus if you don’t then What’s the consequences?

First not all recreational boaters require either a MARINE RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT /license or a SHIP LICENSE .

Let’s ask a few questions:

Do you plan to go outside of the US, example Canada, Mexico or the Bahamas?

Technically speaking if you don’t have a radio you do need a license. But let’s assume the answer is yes - You’ll need both MARINE RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT AND SHIP LICENSE.

So for the recreational guy running around on state lakes or near shore in small boats for his personal pleasure there are no requirements.

For the recreational guy that wants to go internationally, or has a larger boat, or has a AIS there are additional requirements.

If you have a radio with MMSI and go international, you’ll need a SHIP LICENSE and to operate it you need MARINE RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT.

Those that don’t want to be bothered by regulations -

Don’t worry be happy -

but if you’re trying to avoid playing by the rules it’s best to know what the rules are.

I have never been ask to present my MARINE RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT but have numerous times been required to show my RESTRICTED RADIO TELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT.

Pilots don’t have FCC License, we carry a FCC Restriced Radiotelephone Operator Permit.

Per the FCC, radiotelephone operator permit holders are authorized to operate most aircraft and marine radio telephone stations a board pleasurecraft when operating license as is required.

The following applies to US operators but other international countries will have similar requirements per treaties.

The following is from offshoreblue.com

Do I need a MARINE RADIO OPERATOR LICENSE?

The FCC regulates who is required to hold a radio operators license and what type of license is needed. This is based on a number of factors including the vessel size, the area of operations, who you are communicating with, the type of operations, and the type a radio quit meant being used.

Recreational boaters basically do not require a MARINE RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT to operate in the United States.

Recreational boaters may need a license if:

1. More than 300 gross tons are required by law to carry a radio station; or
2. Carries more than six passengers for hire; or
3. Operating radios on medium frequencies (MF) or high frequencies (HF); or
4. Sailing foreign (outside of US waters) and/or communicating with foreign radio stations; or
5. Transmitting radiotelegraphy

If you answer YES to any of the above items would be answered yes then a license is required.

If you answered NO to all of the above then No Radio Operator’s License required.

The next question is what type of license, there are more than a dozen different commercial radio operator license is currently issued by the FCC. However, for the recreational boater or small commercial boat operator (less than 300 gross tons), you are typically only need to look at one or two different licenses, the marine radio operators permit (MP) or the
restricted radio telephone operators permit (RR)

So which license do you need?

Marine Radio Operator (MP)

* Is your boat >20 m and sailing on the Great Lakes?
* Is your boat >8 m in engaged and towing on the Great Lakes?
* Is your boat >300 gross tons?
* Is your vessel carry more than six passengers for hire?

If you answered YES to any of the above you need a
MARINE RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT (MP)

If you answered “No” to previous questions above and...

* Are you sailing in foreign waters or
* communicating with foreign radio stations?
* OR
* Do you use MF/HF single side band or satcom?

If you answered YES to either of those questions you are REQUIRED to have a
RESTRICTED RADIO TELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT(RR).

In addition to a operator permit which is assigned to the person you may be required to have a license to marine ship station.

Is your vessel any one of the following?

1. A cargo ship over 300 gross times navigating in the open sea;
2. Certified by the US Coast Guard to carry more than six passengers for hire in the open sea or tidewaters of the US;
3. A power driven vessel is over 20 m in length on navigable waterway’s;
4. More than 100 gross tons certified by the US Coast Guard to carry at least one passenger on navigable waterway is;
5. A tow boat > 7.8 m in length on navigable waterways;
6. And uninspected commercial fishing industry vessel required to carry a VHF radio;
7. Required to carry an automatic identification system (AIS) transceiver by the US Coast Guard regulation?

If you answered YES to any of the above

- then you are what is called a
compulsory equipped vessel and you are required by law to have a license ship station on board

...UNLESS

You answered NO to all of the above -

You are a voluntary equipped vessel in and are not required by law to have a license ship station on board

Unless:

1. Your vessel is sailing foreign or communicating with foreign radio stations
2. ~ AND / OR / EITHER ~
3. You use MF/HF Single side band radio, satcom, or telegraphy

If you answer YES to either statement above -

You are a voluntary equipped, but still REQUIRED to have a license ship station on board.
Znightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 15:20   #119

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
Madwad-
I have read your question three times and the answer is-- a properly equipped US registered vessel traveling international voyages is required to meet the regulations of the United States in question to the equipment.
You read my question 3 times and you think I asked if its required?
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 15:22   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
I'm not understanding what you're saying here. If you filtered out international cruisers, there would be no need for the license and the number should be zero.

The reason I'm asking is because I watch anywhere from 150-200 sailing channels and while they are all pretty detail oriented about preparations, I've never seen one of them mention it.

As well, I am wondering how the U.S. government is telling me what to do while I'm in another country or no country at all and can't do anything about my radio use.
There may not be a need for FCC but most other countries are still regulated under ITU which is what drives the FCC requirements.
N3VR L8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license