Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 15:01   #1

TV Recommendation for new boat

We just acquired a 2001 Sea Ray Sundancer 290. We'd like to update the TV for the galley. We cruise locally on a fresh water lake. Any recommendations on brands or approaches we should take? I'd like to avoid a monthly fee (e.g. Direct TV), so most likely we would do DVDs or viewing via web.

Thanks.

Kevin
kaw0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 15:30   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: TV Recommendation for new boat

Buy any TV that will fit in the space you have available. If you are in an area that gets over the air signals, get an omni-directional antenna that will receive both VHF and UHF signals. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 13:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

If you have decent internet service, we have a Slingbox at home and get OK quality video on the boat. Depends on what you are watching and the internet speed. Sports get blocky, dramas/comedies are pretty good. Slingbox is a one time purchase. We use a long distance wifi antenna from Bob at Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52   #4
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

Consider 12 volt TV.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw0922 View Post
We just acquired a 2001 Sea Ray Sundancer 290. We'd like to update the TV for the galley. We cruise locally on a fresh water lake. Any recommendations on brands or approaches we should take? I'd like to avoid a monthly fee (e.g. Direct TV), so most likely we would do DVDs or viewing via web.

Thanks.

Kevin
I just bought an Emerson 19" from Walmart. Cost me a crippling $90. It goes in a locker when it's not in use. I have a small Pioneer DVD player that was $50 that also goes in the same locker. The sound on the TV is a bit tinny but I just run a cable to the stereo's aux-in and use that for sound.

The Emerson gets off-air digital with a small rabbit-ear antenna I put on the roof under the dodger.

It's not 12V but an inverter to power it costs maybe $20?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 14:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw0922 View Post

Thanks.

Kevin
Im not sure what kind of space you are working with but I recently purchased a skyworth for my boat I had called and talked to sales and they were able to tell me what size and how to hook it up. I had removed a jensen b4 putting this one it the quality seems better along with the features just something for you to check out and think about.
Skyworth 12 Volt TV
newwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 16:56   #7

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Kevin

Any TV will do as long as it is digital and HD.

Now a days, you will receive Digital TV, over the air and clearly, just about any where in the USA.

A Marine Antenna doesn't hurt, but isn't required... Like the previous post said they used rabbit ears and received a great picture.

We have SONY Bravia EX 32" LED TV on our boat. It runs off a 400 watt inverter that we also use for recharging phones and kindles. We like it because it is thin and light weight.... Not to mention the picture is incredible.

When around english speaking TV Stations, we use a powered marine antenna for both analog and digital reception.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 06:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, newwater.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 06:54   #9

Boat: Irwin 40

If you are going to want over the air free TV you will want a good antenna. I have found the antenna is everything. Glomex makes the best. I have no interest in the company but have tried a few different antennas and have found Glomex by far the best. With a power boat the 14" omni directional is best. These are not cheap but worth the money. Once you have a good antenna buy the TV and see how it works. Some receivers are better than others as most TVs are really designed for cable these days. If the reception is not good pack it up and take it back and try another TV. I had to do that 3 times to find one that worked well.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 07:28   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

If the TV uses a brick AC to DC converter see if it is putting out 12v (ish). That way you can wire it directly to your 12v side.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 07:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesFCook View Post
If the TV uses a brick AC to DC converter see if it is putting out 12v (ish). That way you can wire it directly to your 12v side.
I went to best buy to check this out ands found many of the smaller tvs are in fact 12 volt
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 09:41   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'

We have a 19" SamSung with the Shakespeare UFO style antenna + PreAmp. On some days we get crystal clear signals from stations three or four hundred miles away, hours later we only get signals out to 20 miles. The new Digital Service is nothing like the old Analog Service... Many times we are watching a game and the TV switches between two different stations every five or six minutes on the same channel.

The lesson here is to put up the best antenna you can, use top quality coax and connectors, and re-scan for channels on a daily basis.

That being said a $100 Wal-Mart TV on Over the Air Digital will have a stunningly good picture...
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote