Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 10:12   #16

Re: Raw Water Toilet...Thoughts???

This is all great info. Thanks. It's amazing how one person's experience can be so different from the next person. One says smelly, the other says not at all

I would never not buy a boat because of the type of toilet system, but I do like to have an idea of what I'm getting into ahead of time

I have considered buying a couple of those composting heads, just to use in the winter so I wouldn't have to be bothered with pumping out in a foot of snow, but I'll have to see how it goes first.
Old 24-02-2014, 10:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
This is all great info. Thanks. It's amazing how one person's experience can be so different from the next person. One says smelly, the other says not at all

I would never not buy a boat because of the type of toilet system, but I do like to have an idea of what I'm getting into ahead of time

I have considered buying a couple of those composting heads, just to use in the winter so I wouldn't have to be bothered with pumping out in a foot of snow, but I'll have to see how it goes first.
Alot of it has to do with each person's tolerance.... low tide is smelly, heads are smelly, diesel exhaust is smelly, mildew is smelly....propane is smelly...
As far as I'm concerned... nothing so nice as diesel exhaust in the morning!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 19:00   #18
cruiser

Quote:

I just finished reading your original post on "completely overwhelmed". Five kids and a couple of adults, add in a couple of the kid's friends and occasional guests..... and you're honestly considering the use of composting heads???

Please don't take offense, but you really need to do some homework.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 08:19   #19

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I suppose that I will see how it goes.
Why would you even consider a salt/raw water head?

A new fresh water that T into the fresh water after the water pump cost 750 bucks. We are going to install a new Tecma electric fresh water toilet this summer. We have a 20 year old electric fresh water Jabsco that does the job but?

When we bought the Eagle it had manual raw water. My wife used the manual raw water, ugly/smelly/brown, and the next day new Jabsco fresh water head where installed. My primary job in life is to keep my loving wife happy.

The big reason I want fresh water is I did not like a below the water line through hull open. Several years later took out and filled in ALL through hulls below the water line except the engine intakes. I sleep a lot better.

We have a in line fresh water treatment system where we put domestic toilet bowel table cleaner in. This keeps the toilet, hoses and holding tank clean. also once a week I flush though clorox spray the day before we are pumped. Its been 15 years since we installed the hoses with no smell/permintation and still seem to be clean/open. We get pump weekly.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14   #20

I believe Tecma Raritan and Marine Flush make a head that can be switch between raw and fresh water. The problem I have with that is having a through hull open all/most of the time when at the dock. However the real limitation is usually the HOLDING tank as more area do not allow discharge. The holding tank is full long before we run out of fresh water. It might better spent to installing a larger, another holding tank and/or a Coast Guard approved system, especially if the water tanks are large enough.

The Eagle holds 400 gallons fresh water, which can last us for 3 to 4 weeks. We installed a bigger holding rank, 25 gallon to a 50 gallon, and a Microphor sanitation system. I been thinking about rearranging the engine rooms by moving the Microphor in back of the gen set and installing another 50 gallon holding tank for the 1 to 2 winter freeze that happens every year.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:21   #21

Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow

Quote:
This is all great info. Thanks. I have considered buying a couple of those composting heads, just to use in the winter so I wouldn't have to be bothered with pumping out in a foot of snow, but I'll have to see how it goes first.
Give your family a break and just install a couple of composting heads. They'll thank you for it later.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:10   #22

Oh, I forgot. Might be easier to install several port a potty on board and empty them on a regular bases. I remember when young going to the bath room in a chamber pot that was emptied daily. Oh! did you know the saying, We were so poor we did not have a pot to piss in, come from? Back in the chamber pot days the urine was sold to a tannery to tan hides, so you were realy poor it you did not have a pot to piss in. Anyway, we do have a port a potty, to use if the freeze lasts to long.

Also we can/have collect rain water. The drain on the pilot house have a funnel/hose that normally discharges the water directly over the side, so it does not un down the boat. The hose is long enough that it can reach the domestic water fill. There are gutters also along the salon roof that also funnel the water direly over the side, which also could be used. The roof the Eagle is warm enough it melts the snow/ice. So you could collect rain/snow. Again when young we use to collect rain/snow water for the house.

I grew up in Ocean Fall BC which was a small mill town, so we had to make due with what we had. Not long ago many of my relatives still have chamber pots and collect rain water. I think some still do today.
Old 09-03-2014, 16:29   #23

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

I don't know if location has been considered here? Many places in US waters are or are soon to be No Discharge Zones. This means holding tanks. Holding tanks that have salt water sitting in them with urine and poop tend to smell much more so than fresh water systems. If you are out where there are no NDZ fine otherwise I strongly suggest fresh water with a big holding tank. Especially GG with here brood. You are going to be doing a lot of pump outs. Before you go all composting I would give one unit a try prior to full commitment.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 20:10   #24

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I had an electric vacuum fresh water head and hated it. It didn't smell too badly-- until the duckbill valves got gummed up and I had to rebuild it (twice). Then it stank.

I was fortunate to find an almost new Wilcox-Crittenden skipper. Raw water head that you can flush a T-shirt down if you want to--too bad they don't make them any more. It doesn't smell any worse than the other one. To eliminate odors, I recommend a swig of white vinegar down the head once or twice a week. They also sell stuff to put in the holding tank to reduce odors.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:49   #25

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Curmudgeon something must be wrong. I and many others have used electric vac and now macerator none vac heads for many years with no problem. I am on my forth boat with such systems including some very early models. My personal experience now with six such units is good. I did blow a breaker once that's it.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, raw water, water